Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CALIFORNIA LAW: Bounty Hunter-Recovery Agent

Re: Question

Hello Mark, that is a very good question that you asked. Please forward any answers or help that you can get to those particular questions that you asked. I do know someone who is in the same position who is also trying to do what you are doing. That would be nice to know so that we can find something else if it does not work out.
    thanks.

John M Harvey is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: Badge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D Maurer - View Post
    Can a Fugitive Recovery Agent wear a badge in the course of Bail Enforcement?
    Not in California.

John

Re: CALIFORNIA LAW: Bounty Hunter-Recovery Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Georges E Abou-Habib View Post
    is there anyone who can train me?thank you
    A good training resource in California is:

Bob Barton - 866-357-3030

John

Joseph, I believe the presumption is that in order to have been granted a PI license (in most states, anyway) that your experience would have covered what you would have learned in the classes.
    John M. Harvey
    Licensed Private Investigator (CA# 25804)
    San Diego, California

john.harvey@pi.agency.us

Here is a link to the California Research Bureaus review of the current law.
    http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/07/07-010.pdf

I was a part of the research panel and this report will be used to modify the current laws in the near future.
    MARK LUCATORTO
    Fugitive Recovery Agent
    Back to Jail Fugitive Recovery Services
    Simi Valley, California 93063

I Need To Know How And Where To Become A Bounty Hunter From Scratch.i Have No Felonys Etc.please Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Robert Munson is offline **

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Distinguished Member - Private Investigators Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel George View Post
    I Need To Know How And Where To Become A Bounty Hunter From Scratch.i Have No Felonys Etc.please Any Help Would Be Appreciated
    To start you will want to learn the requirements and laws for the state or states you wish to work in.

Once you know those 2 things you then work on getting qualified based on the requirements and laws.

After that I would say you might want to work with an established group to learn the hands-on of the job.

For the record this is my opinion on the subject.

Interesting. Thanks to the OP for the thread, however, IIRC, possibly 12 yrs ago I spotted a bail enforcement agent near a Riverside PD station with a silly looking tac outfit and he clearly had a badge. More than likey the law changed since that time.

Chezareus Jones is offline **
    Agency Corporation Owner

How could i get training in this field?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    How could i get training in this field?
    Start with this:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/p...roducts_id=992

Cynthia Ford
    Administrator - IPIU
    ----------

I have my Bail enforcement Lic in Co I would like to find out what I need to do for one In Ca Thank You

Re: Badge?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy D Maurer - View Post
    Can a Fugitive Recovery Agent wear a badge in the course of Bail Enforcement?
    Yes, as long as it doesnt have anything to do with Law Enforcement. For instance, my badge says "Fugitive Apprehension Agent" and my badge number. Also the seal of the state of California. No mention of Law Enforcement. It wouldn't be recommended to have the state seal on there. Technically it is not illegal but if you are just starting off people might get the wrong idea.

George Dakkak - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigators Forums Member

2007-2013 Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

don't do it , it is not worth it

Re: Simple question

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E Masteller View Post
    What are my best options for approching employment with a recovery team. I have seen DOG and I do not want to sound like the Kid that sit's there and says thats cool.

I spent the time to get my 12 bail pre-license, and I am working on the P.C. 832 class, also the B.S.I.S 8 hour power of arrest.

Any comments welcome on getting my foot in the door the right way.

P.S. For anyone looking into getting started Read the laws, Rules and Regulations. Start by searching the web. You find ANYTHING!
    Do be honest, if you have already taken the pre-licensing I would just go for my Bail Bondsmen license. PC 1299 (California) allows bondsmen to act as FRA's. Private Investigators can also operate as FRA's under 1299. If you get your Bondsmen license, you can bail em' out and chase em'. Its not that hard finding a bondsmen job in relation to finding a steady stream of cases as a bounty hunter alone. Be a bondsmen and go after your own skips. Its really hard (I mean REALLY hard) to get your foot in the door as a new bounty hunter. Unless you know someone, its 0000 near impossible. I got lucky and knew someone. But if you have your bondsmen license you can bail them out to and work for a bail bonds company. If you have your PI license, you can do PI work on the side. Going through the loops to meet the requirements of a FRA (which there is a loophole somewhere in the PC 3000 range about bail that makes it so ANYONE can go after skips, Ill find it and post it later) isn't really worth it. Though a PC 832 is always a good thing to have. Feel free to ask my any questions you may have. Im a FRA in California.

So, it sounds like it is true that licensed PI's in CA do not need a seperate license to do bail enforcement? If that is true how would one begin to find work?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Pray View Post
    So, it sounds like it is true that licensed PI's in CA do not need a seperate license to do bail enforcement? If that is true how would one begin to find work?
    Steve has given you a great suggestion in the Level 4 Members area here:

Bounty Hunter - Bail Enforcement Agent - How to Find local cases

To join IPIU, obtain a PI Union License, Training, and a Union membership - go here:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Pray View Post
    You have to have some experience in the field and be insured before any bail bondsmen wil hire you.....I assume you have your Ca. P.I. license already...also it is hard to get P.I. insurance if you plan on doing fuigitve recovery....some companies will not provide it

To clear up a few misconceptions about CA Bail Recovery Agents:

A recovery agent can wear a badge in CA. It must NOT indicate or lead anyone to believe that the person wearing it is any kind of law enforcement officer.

It IS illegal to wear or use the seal of the state of California unless you are specifically authorized to do so.

The BSIS exposed weapon permit is NOT valid for bail recovery work! Only licensed,employed, in uniform and on duty security guards can carry exposed with that permit. Period.

Its Bob Burton.

PC 273.5 can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony.

All bail agents licensed after Jan 1, 2000 have to complete the PC 1299 requirements if they are going to pick up their own or other bail agents skips.

Those licensed before Jan 1, 2000 do not have to complete the requirements if they are going after their own skips only.

Hello to all members,

I would like to add that PC1299 has expired on 1-1-10, so it looks like this info is now dated.

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:

Thank you for the up-date.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Online Resources:
    In September of 1999 California became one of the states in which Bounty Hunters require specific training and licensing. As such, becoming a Bounty Hunter in California takes a bit more effort but can also be very rewarding. Bail Recovery Agents are expected to work closely with local law enforcement agencies and practice careful and calculated fugitive recovery. Training and licensing ensure effective and safe skip tracing and the State of California promotes safe Bounty Hunting techniques.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in California

Becoming a Bounty Hunter in California involves taking courses as well as meeting several other requirements. The California Department of Insurance (CDI) handles licensing for the state and only allows people over 18 to apply. The first thing that must be done is the completion of a 12 hour “pre-licensing bail education” course. Then, you must apply for your Bounty Hunter license through the CDI and take a bail license examination and score at least 70%. Lastly, you must negotiate a contract with a surety company to pursue fugitives that have skipped bail. The California Bail Agents Association can help you obtain the required licenses and offers information about specific location of classes in the state.
    California Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Once you are licensed as a Bail Recovery Agent, the CDI requires 6 hours of continuing education every year. Additionally, Bounty Hunters in California are required to notify the local police 6 hours prior to making an arrest and carry documentation of their training and licensing at all times when working. Furthermore, Bounty Hunters may not wear a uniform or identify themselves as law enforcement in any way or forcibly enter a residence except as outlined in laws regarding arrest by a private person. Lastly, the fugitive must be delivered to the state of California within 48 hours of arrest.

George Dakkak - is offline Certified SPI
    Private Investigators Forums Member

2007-2013 Professional Management Member of:

good news the act and requirements expired ! no there is nothing ~

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:

I believe even if the state has a time out there are still the Federal guide lines

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a news link to verify this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2