Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CALIFORNIA LAW: Bounty Hunter-Recovery Agent

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Bail fugitive recovery agents must be 18 years old, have no felony convictions, complete a specified training courses, and notify local law enforcement of their intent to apprehend a bail fugitive no more than 6 hours before doing so.

They must have written authorization from the bond agent when making an arrest, and cannot forcibly enter any premises, except pursuant to certain existing provisions of law governing arrest by a private person.

Bounty hunters cannot represent themselves as law officers, or wear badges or uniforms that a reasonable person might mistake for a government agency.

All bounty hunters must carry with them a certification of completion of required courses and training programs.

Out of state bounty hunters must be licensed in their home states, or be licensed bail agents.

Private detectives need not obtain a separate bounty hunter license to operate in the state.

This law will remain in effect only until January 1, 2005. Cal. Penal Code § 1299.

In addition, bounty hunter or bond agent who captures defendant in California must go through extradition procedures to transport him interstate. Cal. Penal Code § 847.5 (1995 West); Ouzts v. Maryland Nat'l Ins. Co., 505 F.2d 547 (9th Cir.1974).

After an arrest of a defendant on bail, the surety must deliver him to the court or police within 48 hours of the arrest if it occurs within California; if the arrest occurs out of state, the surety must deliver the defendant within 48 hours of their entering California. Cal. Penal Code § 1301.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

Elizabeth Givens Guest

bounty hunter

how do i become a bounty hunter

Send an email to bounty.passcode@ipiu.org and they will send an instruction email back to your email box. Read it carefully and follow the instructions.

Cynthia

+

Haywood_Douglas Guest

Question

Can you become a Bounty Hunter If you have a misd of 273.5?
    I have a friend,and he wants to become a bunty hunter.He knows he cant carry a firearm,but would like to know can he still become one.

Re: Question

Originally posted by Agent H.Douglas
    I have a friend,and he wants to become a bunty hunter.He knows he cant carry a firearm,but would like to know can he still become one.
    1) Read the requirements again posted above. It says "felony's" and not misdemeanors.

2) Please register again for a new User Name and password, because the name you chose is not your first and last name, as the online application samples show.

Thanks.
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Haywood_Douglas Guest

No Problem

No problem,Yu have told me what I wanted to know.
    And I did read what was posted,But I still had to ask to make sure.He wanted to know for sure.I had told him,but I wanted to ask someone els.Thank you. and I will change my user name,but that Is my name.

Re: No Problem

Originally posted by Agent H.Douglas
    No problem,Yu have told me what I wanted to know.
    And I did read what was posted,But I still had to ask to make sure.He wanted to know for sure.I had told him,but I wanted to ask someone els.Thank you. and I will change my user name,but that Is my name.
    Actually, just give me your full first name and I will modify it for you, thereby keeping your comments in tact.

Haywood Douglas Guest

Sorry!

I had done what you asked me already. My full name Is Haywood
    Last name Is Douglas. I am not trying to cause any trouble on here. I am new,and I want to learn.so' any Information that you can provide me with can and really be helpful. Will complete my education this week. and I have my PC 832/837 ,guard card w/firearm. Me and my friend have been wanting to get into the
    bounty hunting,have been trough allot.He has just recently found that he has that 273.5.misd, and was not sure If there were going to be anymore surprises. That's why I asked.

I did some research about the Bounty-Hunter or Bail fugitive recovery Person-Agent. I found out that there are Institutes teaching you to become a bounty-hunter and they will give you the certificate of completion for that course. In California bounty-hunter act. ( i don't know about any other state) they require the completion of 40hrs of Power of Arrest certified by P.O.S.T, power of arrest course certified by B.S.I.S and 12hrs education relating to duties and responsibilies of a Bail License certified by D.O.I to become a bounty-hunter. I don't know if I still need to complete the requirements by the state or just the certificate of completion by the Institute.?

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member
    Originally posted by QuyenM
    I don't know if I still need to complete the requirements by the state or just the certificate of completion by the Institute.?
    You need to find out if the course studies/training fills the requirements of the state. If not, you will still need to complete all requirements of the state to get licensed.

Before you decide to enroll in a course, ask if the state requirements will be met upon successful completion. Then verify that with the state.

Licensed Private Investigator
    California Agency Owner

No Bounty Hunter License

Bail Enforcement in California does not require a license. It does require the above information. The BSIS powers of arrest (guard card) the POST powes of arrest (equivalent to PC 832 Mod. A) and either the 12 hour bail prelicensing class or a PI License. You must carry a copy of each on your person when performing Bail Enforcement. I have photocopied, and shrunken down to business card size, laminated them, so that they all remain clean, and crisp. Also if you carry a firearm, you need the BSIS Open & Exposed Permit, or a CCW if you carry concealed. Be safe.

JER

Licensed Private Investigator
    California Agency Owner

Badge?

Can a Fugitive Recovery Agent wear a badge in the course of Bail Enforcement?

Question Bounty Hunter Certificate of Completion

"All bounty hunters must carry with them a certification of completion of required courses and training programs. " Anthony Bridgestone, Moderator
    How do you obtain this certificate of completion? Through which agency and what is the cost/s involved?

Also, does the bounty hunter get the entire reward if there is a price on the person's head?
    Felicia Tausig
    IIT
    Investigator in Training

Question Bounty Hunting

Hello I live in Texas right now and plan on moving to Cali. after I get out of college, I will get my badge and licence while I still live in T.X. What do I need to do when I move (since the laws are some-what different will that change my job any by much)
    Jeremy Wayne Johnson

Bail Enforcement is an interesting twist to the whole investigation side of life.

I am glad it was explained and once you have your P.I. license under your belt the Guard Card and 832 pc course are a snap.

Now that I have this info I think I will look into it further.

Does anyone know how you begin working with a bail agent?

needing a sponser

Would like to find out if i can be sponserd by a trained bail recovery agent, so i can proceed to the next level I would be very thankfull.

IF you need to know about you can get a hold of me here or on line at a later date.

Thanks for you time
    Michael Hurn

I did 12h course and 3h security cards and now waiting the course 832pc so that's all i need ,after that i need to carry a badge or no.thank you

MR JEREMY MAURER
    i have pc832 ,i have guard card ,but how you can get the permit for exposed weapon,please if you let me know thank you

David Martz - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Forum Member
    Dear group ,
    ALSO a Licensed PI can do fugitive recovery without all the above classes & Hours

is there anyone who can train me?thank you

Am I to assume that you can wear a badge as long as it does NOT replicate anything that we currently have for law enforcement badges? OR Is it just better not to. I would think that if you are apprehending a criminal, you would want to have something that says you aren't just some crazy off of the street. That can be a rather dangerous line of work.
    Also, can someone point me in a direction in Los Angeles where I might find these P.O.S.T certified classes?
    Thank you to all that answer.

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Rhoades
    Am I to assume that you can wear a badge as long as it does NOT replicate anything that we currently have for law enforcement badges? OR Is it just better not to. I would think that if you are apprehending a criminal, you would want to have something that says you aren't just some crazy off of the street. That can be a rather dangerous line of work.
    It is to avoid any misrepresentation or impersonating an officer charges. Also, it would help not to have one resemble just in case someone falsly accuses you of doing such.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Rhoades
    Also, can someone point me in a direction in Los Angeles where I might find these P.O.S.T certified classes?
    Thank you to all that answer.
    Click here:
    http://www.post.ca.gov/training/default.asp

As a former Deputy Sheriff will I still need to take the powers of arrest classes? I should probably take it anyway since it has been over 5 years and I am sure some things have changed. Just curious.

Mark

Interesting line of work

Bounty hunting is an extremely detailed line of work in California. As far as all of the questions about badges I would assume that not having one would insure that no misrepresentation could happen. As well as identify yourself as a bail fugitive recovery agent upon meeting the defendent.

Exclamation Question

I am currenty in the process of obtaining by bail bonding license. I would like to open my own office here in San Francisco. I would also like to get my bounty hunters license as well. Giving me more authority and ability of arrest over any clients that decide to obscound. As well as giving me the ability to protect my self with a fire arm.
    The problem that I am running into is that I do have a felony conviction on my record (grand theft). I will have the ability in the near future to have the felony charged lowered to a lesser charge (removing the felony conviction).
    My question is there any way to obtain a bounty hunters license with this conviction with out yet obtaining a fire arms license? and obtaining the fire arms license later after I have this conviction lowered? Or will this conviction always keep me from ever getting into this line of work?

Being a Bounty Hunter seems like a very difficult line of work. You have to understand all of the rules of engagement before getting involved. Looks like everyone in this forum are very helpful with the information being presented...keep up the good work here!

you can usually find these classes through most community colleges in California, or you can check out the P.O.S.T. website and locate a facility near you.

Jim Pratt
    Trainee Investigator
    PC832 certificate/ BSIS permits

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    darin,thanks for that link.

I have completed all the required training and have made several contacts in Ventura and Los Angeles. Even with my law enforcement background it is difficult to find work. All of the people that I have talked with say the same thing, “Be professional in your attitude and looks and keep contacting Bail Bonds Agents in person”.

If anyone needs help in So. Cal. Please let me know.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by David Martz
    Dear group ,
    ALSO a Licensed PI can do fugitive recovery without all the above classes & Hours
    How does being a licensed PI get you around all the classes and hours? I would like to know in case I am able to double my workload. Thank you

Simple question

What are my best options for approching employment with a recovery team. I have seen DOG and I do not want to sound like the Kid that sit's there and says thats cool.

I spent the time to get my 12 bail pre-license, and I am working on the P.C. 832 class, also the B.S.I.S 8 hour power of arrest.

Any comments welcome on getting my foot in the door the right way.

P.S. For anyone looking into getting started Read the laws, Rules and Regulations. Start by searching the web. You find ANYTHING!

Keith,

The first thing to remember is when contacting any Bail Enforcement Agents, Bail Bond companies and PIs is to act professional and dress in business atire not tactical gear. You may wat to try to hook up wit some experienced BEAs and may have to work for free or little pay till you learn the business. It has taken me a long time to get started and I amm a former Law Enforcement officer. Don't give up if this is something you want to do.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Douglas
    273.5 is not a misdemeanor in California it is a Felony. also, it involves domestic violence, no one with any kind of conviction due to domestic violence can be hired as any law enforcement official.

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Prado
    273.5 is not a misdemeanor in California it is a Felony. also, it involves domestic violence, no one with any kind of conviction due to domestic violence can be hired as any law enforcement official.
    Thank God (and our justice system!)

Re: CALIFORNIA LAW: Bounty Hunter-Recovery Agent

I have noticed this forum hasnt had any action in a few years. The Laws of of 2005 for a bounty hunter are they currently up to date? I am in the process of getting my P.I. License and will be attending a POST training when I complete my Investigators badge.

I would like to see this forum be up to date and see who is paying attention here.

Thanks,
    C S Stoneham

oops I was reading join dates not post dates my bad!

bounty@ipiu.org doesnt work anymore just fyi

I have sent an email to that address and received a Failure to deliver because the address is no longer available.

So yes I tried to send and email from my current email address and the address is invalid now. Do you happen to know the correct address?

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Shane Stoneham
    Hi Christopher
    Thank you for your clarification.
    I do not know the answer, but I'll certainly try to find out for you. It may take a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Shane Stoneham

I have sent an email to that address and received a Failure to deliver because the address is no longer available.

So yes I tried to send and email from my current email address and the address is invalid now. Do you happen to know the correct address?
    The new email address is now:

bounty.passcode@ipiu.org

Thank you for reporting this.

thanks I will be using that email now

C Shane Stoneham

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast