Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Training & Assignments a Big Hit

I can;t wait to start my o j t training as a pi

Me too. Its a bit overwhelming to think we'd have to go it alone
    Nancy Holdcraft Trainee

Hey folks...the important thing to remember is to keep plugging away at this! I started back in November and just did my first assignment last week!

I never gave up, despite everything that happened...having to move, three job changes, no internet service, etc.

I'll be doing the Anti-Piracy assignment Saturday night! (Well, that's the plan!) Once you be flying. Just read, understand and post. Don't be afraid to post questions or click on Help!
    Stephen Brink
    AKA Darth Nocuous
    GM of the Flaming Cherubim Fantasy Hockey Team

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Thumbs up

Outstanding, Stephen!

Keep up the great work!
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

The Test

I am just wondering how is the time line with things. I am wondering just how long does it takesfor the exam to come in. And when it comes in is there a certain about of time that you have to it finished.

This forum for trainees, has been really helpful to me. I cant think of one question to ask about being place with an agency, because they all have been answered. Thank you for being very clear on topics.
    Sincerely,

Latisha Smith

Thank you for all the information, Kanda. I know that I learn more and more everytime I visit a different forum and read the comments of different people.

I am not sure if there is a timeline to finish the test... my only tidbit to add: Most people are so anxious to receive the test that they complete it ASAP.
    I have read and experienced the walk to the mailbox with disappointment. Then one day all the trips and trail of dead grass to the box is worth it.
    I don't know about others, but I feel a rush of energy (adrenaline) when I receive an envelope from IPIU and/or PI Magazine.
    So in my opinion, other requirements would be: Patience, self motivation, ability to follow instructions & deadlines and to read a large amount of information, even though you have read it before.
    My $.02

Thankyou very much for your $.o2 worth. It is just hard to wait.
    Angela Beck

Since I am currently enrolled in College working on my BD in Criminal Justice will that help me any with this?

Hi David,
    I would think that you would perfect knowledge of the law for this type of work.This will give you the edge to understanding I would think. I hope that you will con't on with this if it isn't to much with your other school work. Good luck with what ever you decide.
    Angela Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McDowell
    I am just wondering how is the time line with things. I am wondering just how long does it takesfor the exam to come in. And when it comes in is there a certain about of time that you have to it finished.
    Hey Andrew:

Since you wrote on 6/1, you may very well have received your test by now. If you have just disregard this because the information with the test tells you how long you have to return it. I believe it is about 2 - 3 weeks, which is really plenty of time, since everyone is usually so excited about getting the manuel that it's hard to put down. Read, read, learn and enjoy! Good luck.

Jackie

Great advice Jacqueline... the key is to read, read, read and of course, enjoy.

Good luck everyone!

Jacqueline,
    I received my manual today and I started on it. There is some stuff that I copied of the forums to be put in there. I am really excited that I finally got it and with the advice that I have been reading it as me up and going and I can't wait to start work.
    Thanks everyone, keep sending more advice in and I will try too.
    Angela Beck

Hey Angela:

Keep up the excitement. Enthusiasm is one of the keys to success. (Actually, the #1 key to success is getting up more times than you fall down--or failing your way to the top.) I find it's always a great idea to find important information, that you're interested in, in the forums and printing it out for your manuel. So you're on the A Train! Just keep reading, reading, learning and enjoying!

Jackie

Hey Kurk:

As a professional freelance writer, I'm a great advocate for reading. Education is the key to everything!

Jackie

[QUOTE=Technical Support]IPIU has 8 different union membership programs, including one titled Placement Membership which is only available in selected areas where there is ample opportunity to prequalify for preplacement with several firms based on minimum requirements (age, no warrants, education).

I'm interested in the Placement Membership but would like to know if it's available in my area. How can I find out prior to making my membership selection?

Wendy

I to am interested in information on Placement Membership.

Angela Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Brown

I'm interested in the Placement Membership ...
    The Placement Membership has been changed to a 2-payment item for unlicensed private investigators:

1) Register first for either Standard or Priority here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/i...bda6729d81590e

2) Then choose an IPIU Preferred or Management Membership here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Or, just do Number 1 and they will bill you later for the Preferred or Management Membership. It does delay the shipping of your training manual by a month, but it does allow you to break up the payments a little.

Thankyou for the info on Placement Membership. I think that I have already done that. Thanks again.
    Angela Beck

Bruce,
    That is a great question. Can someone answer that, Can you get an assignment before finishing training?

Thanks,
    Debra

It's so great to know we'll be working with experienced people getting our OJT.

Thumbs up Assignment

I have a question on getting the free pi mag. I have not recieved mine yet and I thought that I would have by now. If you have any idea on when we get them that would be great.
    The next thing that I need to ask is, how do you find out if you can get a job before you are done with training in your state? If and info. on that would be perfect.
    Angela Beck

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Sheff
    Bruce,
    That is a great question. Can someone answer that, Can you get an assignment before finishing training?

Thanks,
    Debra
    Please ask this question by posting it in your Introduction Topic where the trainers can better direct your inquiry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Beck
    I have a question on getting the free pi mag. I have not recieved mine yet and I thought that I would have by now. If you have any idea on when we get them that would be great.
    The next thing that I need to ask is, how do you find out if you can get a job before you are done with training in your state? If and info. on that would be perfect.
    Angela Beck
    Please ask this question by posting it in your Introduction Topic where the trainers can better direct your inquiry.

This thread is so helpful. I'll definately keep my eye on it in the future. Thanks a bunch for the clarification, peoples.

"What you are witnessing is the work of a confectionary giant." -Willy Wonka

I as well appreciate the help, getting started is very overwhelming but extremely interesting

...and if it wasn't "very overwhelming," it wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck and full speed ahead!

Thanks for the info Allen, you answered a question I had, without me having to ask it.
    I like that.

Unhappy Opps!

David,
    Sorry wrong foreum, I just decided to ask because it came to me.
    Angela Beck

Lots of useful information . I appreciate the insight. Susanna Goss

Susanna,
    I just want to say welcome to ipiu and that I hope that you find everthing useful and helpful as I have so far. Good Luck to you.
    Angela Beck

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Offices-Atty Services
    Most of our employees who are IPIU members just pay the $89 or $129 membership because they are licensed private investigator. Unlicensed private investigators or trainees can have IPIU perform the clearances for the one time amount of $79 (or $93 for Priority).
    Im alittle
    I would like to know if the $89 Preferred Membership
    is the one that i have?

Flora Porter
    P.I. Trainee

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mary J Self
    Thanks to the Law Firm Member,
    Think I understand now that its the 79.00 for all the clearances ,,,,then 89.00 for the membership.. But in which one does the manual come the 79.00 or does one wait till they can afford the 89.00 + membership before they get their manual?
    Mary,
    Thanks for your line thinking I understand now.
    The $79.00 was for all clearances,,,then $89.00
    for the membership. Good question
    What point do we receive training manuals?

Thanks for clearing this up if i am correct.

Flora Porter
    P.I. Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by Flora Porter
    What point do we receive training manuals?
    If you have general questions and cannot locate the proper topic or forum, please post your question in your Introduction Topic where the trainers and other moderators can guide you.

Thank you for your support.

Encouragement

It is very encouraging that so many agencies are willing to train.

Debra

Field Training

From my many year in life, I can safely say that you will learn more in the field and through networking then you will from most schools. They provide a good foundation but it is only through experience that you will hone your skills. I say that coming from a backgroud which includes a BS in Administrative Justice, a graduate of the Army's CID School and as an instructor.
    George Van De Water
    "Carpe Diem"

Question Full Time Employment

Hello Everyone, As a new kid on the block; there were alot of questions and answers in this talk forum. This clears up some things.

But what if I . . .

Moderator Note:

John, please ask your question in your Introduction Topic here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17744

Experience

Hello George:

I definitely can’t argue with you there. I find that any employers that look for people to hire always want people with experience.

The only strategy I can think of at this time in the morning is to find a mom & pop shop to work for, to gain experience.

Denise Damazio is offline Certified

Distinguished Member: Private Investigator Member
    Yes thanks for the agencies willing to train us. I don't know how we would get such valuable information without them..

Thanks much!

I have just finished reading this entire forum. Every question I would have thought to ask has been answered to this point. The keyword that literally sank in me is "patience". I waited a year and a half after I obtained my diploma in private investigations to actually find an open door that would lead me to the kind of work I really want to be doing. BIG THANKS TO YOU IPIU! What is a few more months? The great thing is, these forums keep one busy getting acclimated with the subject matter while waiting. I just submitted my packet and I have to admit I got an adrenaline rush. Investigations is a small part of my mandate in my current position but deep within my heart I crave doing soley investigations. I absolutely love it. A side surveillance job (a literal game of hide and seek for me at the time) I did for a friend while I was in the service is what got me hooked . There maybe many out there who simply want to do it because it has a potential to be lucrative but for me it is all about the personal fulfillment, the joy of seeing a satisfied client and having the distinct pleasure of closing another case.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast