Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Training & Assignments a Big Hit

Training & Assignments a Big Hit

Care to read more?

Then click here for the original topic: Original Interactive Open Topic Link

Training & Assignments a Big Hit!

We received this general email asking what the requirements were for Private Investigator Trainees.

He writes:

"I would like to know some of the requirements of working as a private investigator in my area.

1) Will you require a high school diploma?

2) Will I have to take a test for the state?

3) Will you train me?

4) How much real world wages will be?"
    Answers:

1) A high school diploma is no longer required, and neither is a GED. But you do need to have a high school reading, English, and basic math level because of the reports you will be filing at the conclusion of your assignments. (We have found that some high school graduates cannot spell or perform basic math skills, so the official requirement has been dropped.)

2) No state test, but there is an open-book examination you will take when you have received your training manual. We are more concerned with your general understanding in performance because most of the training is on-the-job. We also offer a free option to help you obtain a state private investigators license, including setting up your own agency.

3) Academic Training will be provided by IPIU through it's free Training Manual and private forums. On-the-job training will be provided by the agencies we have listed in the private members forums.

5) You are more valuable working part-time for six to ten agencies at $20 per hour than working all of your hours for only one agency. IPIU does not prescreen any applicant for under $18 per hour, with the national average at $20 per hour or more, unless it is a long term assignment, such as undercover or surveillance (which nationally may earn a trainee $15 per hour.)

SUMMARY:
    IPIU provides it all for newcomers!

Care to read more? Wish to add a comment?

Then click here for the original topic: Original Interactive Open Topic Link

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I will add that there has been a 40% increase in agencies that will train on-the-job. It seems our industry is bursting at the seams for those agencies and firms that are "progressive". A progressive agency is quite different from a small agency that only wants to stay small.

David Copeland
    Administrator
    Private Investigators Forums

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Re: Question

Originally posted by Shangz R Brown
    What is a progressive agency compared to a non-progressive agency?

What are the specific traits that make a progressive agency?
    An expanding agency that uses all of the new technology to go national and international.
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member

Re: OTJ training for trainees

Originally posted by Eddie Robertson
    Just so I think I'm reading this correctly, the otj training will actually be with someone that works for an ageny that we are assigned to. We are not just gonna be "thrown to the dogs" and get eaten alive then. Right?
    Correct.

Each agency has their own trainers. You will always have someone to rely on for questions. You may communicate via email or telephone. Rest assured there are no intentions to "throw you to the dogs".

In order to be a good investigator, you must build a solid foundation. You will be taught to crawl, walk and eventually run in this field, all at your own pace. The best support you can have is the family members on this board. Get acquainted here and you'll feel our confidence grow.

Originally posted by Michelle Hanulik
    Our availability that we submit will open the doors for what assignments to be sent. (Meaning: if we say we're available for evenings only we will then only be sent assignments to be done in evening hours etc). Is this all correct so far?
    In a nut shell, yes. Your time schedule may change so you may get offered assignments for various other time slots. You may decide if you wish to accept or decline. There are lots of assignments that can be performed and completed at your convenience.

Check out this topic for other information on the Availability Form.
    Click here: The Availability Form? What hours can I choose to work?

Originally posted by Conrad Reid
    is it possible to work for more then one agency at a time? i just want to ensure that i can work 40 hours a week, now you say it's best to work for more then one agency is that because when you complete one assignment that you will have another one waiting for you to work on?
    Conrad,

In most cases, you will make better money working for multiple agencies. It may also be possible to have more than one case working at the same time.

Check out the Trainee Questions & Answers forum. You find a couple topics on the subject.

Also, be sure to read the following topic and follow the instructions.

Click here: Newcomer? What to do FIRST!

What the question was that I was thinking was once I give my availability as evenings and weekend (or whatever they may be) to be able to work around my regular job until I get into the swing of things and get my feet wet, how do I then switch over to also doing days? So that I can be working fulltime so to speak. Even if it is for several different agencies and different assignments.
    Michelle,

When your schedule changes, you can print off a new Assignment Availability Schedule from the Download forum. Then just fax it to IPIU and your record will be updated. I would suggest not faxing a change in unless your available hours change drastically. We all have schedules that change for various reasons.

Keep in mind that you will have the chance to accept or decline assignments if they don't work around your schedule. You may be able to accept an assignment while your on vacation.

Originally posted by Robert Smith
    Can anyone tell me how the investigation agencies, that IPIU places trainees in, decide who they want to have a part of their team to bring in and train? Do they look for certain criteria for trainees or how does all of this work?
    The very basics of investigation can be learned on this board, observation and reporting.

Basic reporting is actually learning to communicate effectively through writing.

Observation encompasses many things but I like to say it's all in the details.

Learning to navigate this board, reading everything you have access to will put you on the right step.

By the time you are getting referrals, you will have the basics (which should include a teachable attitude) and the agencies will have no problem accepting you as a trainee.

Hope this answers your question, Robert.

Distinguished Member:
    Our availability that we submit will open the doors for what assignments to be sent. (Meaning: if we say we're available for evenings only we will then only be sent assignments to be done in evening hours etc). Is this all correct so far?
    In a nut shell, yes. Your time schedule may change so you may get offered assignments for various other time slots. You may decide if you wish to accept or decline. There are lots of assignments that can be performed and completed at your convenience.

Check out this topic for other information on the Availability Form.
    Click here: The Availability Form? What hours can I choose to work?

Distinguished Member:

Re: paid training

Originally posted by Conrad Reid
    is it possible to work for more then one agency at a time? i just want to ensure that i can work 40 hours a week, now you say it's best to work for more then one agency is that because when you complete one assignment that you will have another one waiting for you to work on?
    Conrad,

In most cases, you will make better money working for multiple agencies. It may also be possible to have more than one case working at the same time.

Check out the Trainee Questions & Answers forum. You find a couple topics on the subject.

Also, be sure to read the following topic and follow the instructions.

Click here: Newcomer? What to do FIRST!

Re: NEWBE

Originally posted by Bill Hartiman
    What does it mean when ipiu says you have been placed?
    IPIU has 8 different union membership programs, including one titled Placement Membership which is only available in selected areas where there is ample opportunity to prequalify for preplacement with several firms based on minimum requirements (age, no warrants, education).

Details are here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3285

However, most newcomers choose to join IPIU under either the Preferred Membership or the Management Membership.

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=6542
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Distinguished Member:

Re: work

What the question was that I was thinking was once I give my availability as evenings and weekend (or whatever they may be) to be able to work around my regular job until I get into the swing of things and get my feet wet, how do I then switch over to also doing days? So that I can be working fulltime so to speak. Even if it is for several different agencies and different assignments.
    Michelle,

When your schedule changes, you can print off a new Assignment Availability Schedule from the Download forum. Then just fax it to IPIU and your record will be updated. I would suggest not faxing a change in unless your available hours change drastically. We all have schedules that change for various reasons.

Keep in mind that you will have the chance to accept or decline assignments if they don't work around your schedule. You may be able to accept an assignment while your on vacation.

Distinguished Member:
    Originally posted by Robert Smith
    Can anyone tell me how the investigation agencies, that IPIU places trainees in, decide who they want to have a part of their team to bring in and train? Do they look for certain criteria for trainees or how does all of this work?
    The very basics of investigation can be learned on this board, observation and reporting.

Basic reporting is actually learning to communicate effectively through writing.

Observation encompasses many things but I like to say it's all in the details.

Learning to navigate this board, reading everything you have access to will put you on the right step.

By the time you are getting referrals, you will have the basics (which should include a teachable attitude) and the agencies will have no problem accepting you as a trainee.

Hope this answers your question, Robert.

Melissa Silver is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Re: Re: OTJ training for trainees

Originally posted by Kanda Force

In order to be a good investigator, you must build a solid foundation. You will be taught to crawl, walk and eventually run in this field, all at your own pace. The best support you can have is the family members on this board. Get acquainted here and you'll feel our confidence grow.
    Kandy

I would like to say reading your replies are really encouraging. I hope everyone else who reads these gets a smile and the feeling of assurance that I get.
    Thank you for being there!
    Melissa Silver
    MeIPI Investigations, Inc.
    Badge #5319

Valued Information

Thank you Kandra,
    I came to this forum hoping to contribute something or ask a unique question or two. No such luck. You've answered them all. Now it's back to the drawing board. Great Job! I truly appreciate it!
    MT

God's promises are like stars; the darker the night, the brighter they shine.

New and learning

Kanda,
    I meant to reply but oops... I posted a new thread. Well I just wanted to say thank you to you for all of the helpful information. Your advice is very encouraging. I am inspired to succeed. I am still learning to manuver in all of the forums and currently I am in the middle of the step-by-step process given to me by TJ.
    I am very excited about my new career.
    Thanks again,
    Marisa Cardona

Distinguished Member:
    You're all very welcome.

Arthur ML Hearl is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    Reply to working for multiple agencies...
    Is there a "conflict in interest" perhaps working for different agencies doing the same type of work (ie. surveillance)?
    How do you handle the situation, do you let them know you are contracted with others?
    Best Regards,
    Arthur ML Hearl
    AKA: GraphicART

Thank you so much, all of you! It amazes me that I continue to learn new things every day. Every time I am on the forums there is more new information to process. I love learning! The support here is the best.
    Thank you all for being supportive in our new venture.
    RoseAnn

RoseAnn,
    WELCOME!
    Everyday a new experience! I wind up printing out most of the information I find so I have it on hand for reference. I'm with you my fellow student. I love to learn! Makes life interesting.
    Enjoy!
    Marisa

Question PI Trainee

Anyone
    According to my state, North Carolina, I have to apply to them with fingerprints, etc. before I can become a Private Investigator Trainee. The information is almost the same as I sent to IPIU.
    My question is: Does the IPIU handle my state registration as a Trainee?
    Walter C. Smith

Badge #

Re: PI Trainee

Originally posted by Walter C. Smith
    Anyone
    According to my state, North Carolina, I have to apply to them with fingerprints, etc. before I can become a Private Investigator Trainee.
    Yes and no.

They are referring private investigators who will be advertising for clients.

There are 14 different areas of private investigations that they do not license for.

Click here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=520

IPIU helps it's members in qualifying for owning their agency in No Carolina and other states in the Members Only Forum.

For now, you can work within the 14 unregulated areas mentioned.

Wink Thanks Admin

That answers my questions.
    Walter C. Smith

Badge #

20. Thumbs up

Thank you for all this information. It is very useful for those of us that are beginning in this field.

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Hi Eloisa ;
    Welcome to the forums, glad to have you with us.
    Be sure to drop by the forum members introduction lounge, and introduce yourself so we can all get to know you better.

"See" you on the boards.
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

Thanks to all for answering a common question that will aid many of us in our pursuit of success.

Type of agencies willing to train

What type of agencies are willing to train private investigators?
    Heather

Lightbulb reply

I belive that the new laws are helpfull and keep all people in mind, and I agree with them
    Jeremy Wayne Johnson

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Re: Re: OTJ training for trainees

Originally posted by Kanda Force
    Rest assured there are no intentions to "throw you to the dogs".
    Kandy,

I have been rereading some of the intorductory material and came across this one. I am relieved by your assurance that you do not intend to throw us to the dogs!

I trust and will wait for my first assignment with bated breathe.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Smile Once again,

I am in a forum that answers all my questions!

As for being thrown to the dogs, I have been there, and luckily, I learned a great deal about myself. Everything is a learning process.

Now I'm ready for anything!
    Diana DeClue

Badge #6850
    "Work smarter - not harder"

Brenda Muller is offline **
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2003 - 2004 Member of:
    This is a very helpful forum...thank you for helping us new ones out...Much Appreciated.
    Brenda

I can't wait to get as far along as most of you are. You have so much valuable information to offer. Thanks so much.
    Shiela M Hargett
    Badge #6855

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to start on the job training!

Ned

Cool

As a NEWBIE, is it possible to start with an Agency before all of my training is completed with IPIU? Thanks for all the help. Everyone has been so helpful.

Bruce

I am interested in knowing the best way for new trainee's to advertise and get their name out there so that they can begin getting clients and assignments.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    Christine,

I want to comment, but I am having trouble finding the right words. When I passed my exam and moved to Level 4, I was offered assignments with one of the PI firms that work with IPIU. You might want to wait for someone to invite you to work as a trainee.

Wait until TJ or someone like him to provide you with the guidance you need (i.e., point you to the right forum).

Specializations for Investigators

Hi. I am interested in pursuing a career in healthcare investigation. I would mainly like to work for hospitals and medical providers. I requested the private investigator trainee information packet hoping that healthcare is a specialization that I may choose. Am I going in the right direction? If so, I have a Master's Degree in Public Health. What other additional training will I need to be, perhaps, a Health Care Fraud and Abuse Investigator? If someone can offer some good advice and direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
    Chantay Williams, B.S, MPH

Edwina Berlijn - is offline Private Investigator Union Member

Bachelor of Science Degree - Criminal Justice Graduate
    I read everything with interest. Several months ago, the IPIU send me papers to apply to different agencies. I did write to them, and gave them all my information they had asked for (the agencies) One agency was not in business anymore, or not located at that address. But, I have not heared anything back, from any of the agencies. I have placed an application in for a trainee, in Valdosta GA, on the computer, they said, that they received my application...no word yet from them. It is not so easy to start in that field. Would it be my age??? Just wondering. Edwina Berlijn

I would like to know if a previous experience in a specific field, related to investigation, would be helpful in the processes
    of training and/or getting assignments.

Simply put, my background includes technical investigation in accident reconstruction, for litigation issues

Thank you.

Aloha!

All types of backgrounds can be helpful in your new career choice, and it will be beneficial to you in the long-run. Assignments are given out on level 4 and so is referrals. When you reach that level and the different agencies you work for might need someone w/ your background. I hope I answered your questions and if not then a MOD or ADMIN will be by to assist you. Have a great day..

Aloha,
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

Sunya,

Thank you for the answer. It is quite clear and doesn't require any assistance. Also, thanks for your kind wish. Have a great day too.

Aloha

(It is a great pleasure to use this greeting, remembering the wonderful vacation spent last year with my wife in Maui and Oahu...)

Dragos

One more question or maybe two.

Once were signed with one agency PT, how do we sign up with others? Also, how long does one assignment last and are they time consuming? Will working on one assignment prevent or slow down our time/preventing us from putting in sufficient enough time to successfully complete an assignment? Do you understand my questions?

Re: One more question or maybe two.

Originally posted by Meronda Kelly
    Once were signed with one agency PT, how do we sign up with others?

IPIU will do that for you. Working for several different agencies is better then working all hours at one place.

Also, how long does one assignment last and are they time consuming?

It depends it usually is a three day window period. The assignment differ.

Will working on one assignment prevent or slow down our time/preventing us from putting in sufficient enough time to successfully complete an assignment?

Will that's when you have to make that choice if you have to many assignments and less time to complete it then that kinda gives you your answer.

Do you understand my questions?
    Yes! I do, and I hope I answered your questions to the best of my ability. If this is not satisfying to you then a MOD or ADMIN will be here to assist you. Have a great day........

Aloha,
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

Hi Sunya,

Thanks, you did clear up my confusion.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast