Thread: ARIZONA LAW: Bounty Hunter

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    [b]Bounty hunters must be licensed (Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3885), pass a background check (Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 20-323), and complete a training class (Ariz. Rev. Stat. §§ 20-3001 through 3005).

Bounty hunters only can enter a home with the consent of the occupants present at the time of entry, and cannot wear clothes indicating that the bounty hunter is a state or federal official.

Bond agents must notify the state that they are utilizing particular bounty hunters.

Once a year, bond agents also must notify the state of all bounty hunters they have used.

Out of state bounty hunters must contract with Arizona licensed recovery agents. Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3885.

ANTHONY BRIDGESTONE
    Professional Support Services

bounty hunter laws

This law was a result of a particular case involving two bounty hunters. The home they entered was not the home on the warrant. They shot and killed a young couple. They are now behind bars.
    msredcorvette

Re: bounty hunter laws

Originally posted by Mary Goss
    This law was a result of a particular case involving two bounty hunters. The home they entered was not the home on the warrant. They shot and killed a young couple. They are now behind bars.
    Hi Mary.
    Thats right it was the resut of the two bounty hunters here in Arizona. But where do we go to get the training class?
    Last edited by Larry Irwin -; 10-22-2003 at 02:02 PM.
    Larry Irwin

badge #4018

Exclamation Posted Info Not Correct

The information regarding Arizona Bounty Hunters as posted by the moderator is no longer correct. (Please see info below)
    {I apologize about the length of the message, but I wanted to include all pertinent information}

Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3885 -Arrest of principal by surety; prohibited conduct; violation; classification; definitions

A. For the purpose of surrendering the defendant, a surety on the bail bond of a defendant may arrest the defendant before the forfeiture of the undertaking or, by written authority attached to a certified copy of the undertaking, may empower a bail recovery agent or a bail bond agent as defined in section 20-340 to arrest the defendant.
    B. A bail recovery agent or a bail bond agent shall not do any of the following:
    1. Enter an occupied residential structure without the consent of the occupants who are present at the time of the entry.
    2. Conduct a bail recovery arrest or apprehension without written authorization from a bail bond agent licensed in Arizona.
    3. Wear, carry or display any uniform, badge, shield or other insignia or emblem that implies that the bail recovery agent is an employee, officer or agent of this state, a political subdivision of this state or the federal government. A bail recovery agent may display identification that indicates the agent's status as a bail recovery agent only.
    4. Authorize or allow any third party bail recovery agent to undertake an apprehension or arrest if the bail recovery agent has been convicted in any jurisdiction of theft or of any felony or any crime involving carrying or the illegal use or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

--No where it states a Bounty Hunter must be licensed. The Bail agent must be licensed, therefore the hunter is licensed because he is a formal agent of the surety.

--Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 20-323: ~Does not exist
    --Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 20-3001 thru 3005: ~Applies solely to the continuing education of the Bail Bond Agent (the surety), and not the hunter.

Lightbulb Addt'l Info

To be a Bounty Hunter in Arizona, you must not have been convicted in any jurisdiction of theft or of any felony or any crime involving carrying or the illegal use or possession of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

You must have written permission from a Surety.

You must not enter any residence without permission for a resident of the structure.

(The laws are result of a group of robbers who tried to rob a house. They TOLD the police they were Bounty Hunters so they would not be arrested for B&E. There have also been cases of Hunters shooting fugitives as they ran. NO Bounty Hunter has the right to kill without due cause. Like self defense. Use of deadly force DOES apply to Hunters.)

Lightbulb Last Bit of Info

You must also complete a form and submit a passport sized photo to the Dept. of Insurance before contracting with a surety.

Thumbs up

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the info.
    Larry Irwin

badge #4018

So does anyone know where you would go to get this class? And what is the diffrence between a bail bondsman and a bounty hunter? Can one be both?

Thanks for answering my silly questions.

Wendy

I just signed up here...I was just wondering... I am VERY interesting in becoming a bounty hunter, I would like to know any other requirements (i.e. age, etc...) and where to go to the classes. Also about weapons qualifications, you know, the works...in Arizona that is. Thanks for any info provided!

Exclamation Bail Enforcement Agent

I am now a Bail Enforcement agent with Ameri-Bail Bonds. If anyone has questions on what to do in order to become an agent, post here or call my cell; [Edited by Moderator: Forum Rules]
    Last edited by B Ann Craig -; 05-17-2005 at 02:35 AM.

This is Pat how did you go about to be a bail enforcement agent
    what to do. {Jerrad}

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrad Stamm
    I am now a Bail Enforcement agent with Ameri-Bail Bonds. If anyone has questions on what to do in order to become an agent, post here or call my cell; [Edited by Moderator: Forum Rules]
    Jerrad, I have removed your cell phone number. Please, do not post your personal information on our forum. This is for all of our members protection. If you would like your contact information in your signature, please, read the links I have given to you in your introduction below. Thank you.

My welcome:
    Click Here: Jerrad Stamm - Introduction

Good luck in all you do.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.

Sorry about putting my info on there, wont happen again..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Egan
    This is Pat how did you go about to be a bail enforcement agent
    what to do. {Jerrad}
    Ok, first step that I would do before anything (something i did not do but will at the end of this week) is to go and get your Armed Guard certification or your CCW permit. After that, go to the the department of insurance website or office and get the application/form to register as a bail enforcement agent. Once that is filled out you will have to go to a place that does fingerprinting. I went to Nu West Investigations in Glendale, look them up in the phone book because i dont think i can list their info on here... After you have the fingerprint card (cost me $10) you will then have to get a passport sized photo to go along with the fingerprint card and form. (You can also get the photo from Nu West as well, another $10 i believe. After you have all that done send in the Form, Fingerprint card, and photo along with $29 (thats how much it was for me anyway) for FBI processing. Send it all at once. Once thats done you will have to find client which is the hard part. Once you find a client you should be set. Good Luck

I noticed your from another state....everything i posted on the above reply is how to become one in arizona..I did not notice you were from a different state untill after i had posted

Delmus Jeffery is offline *** Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Re: ARIZONA LAW: Bounty Hunter

Jerrad, does this apply to California as well?

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:

Quote Originally Posted by Delmis Jeffery View Post
    Jerrad, does this apply to California as well?
    Delmis,

Check the laws for your state under bounty hunter laws for California If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you there

Delmus Jeffery is offline *** Certified
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Thank You. I will inquire.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

From Online Resource:

Bounty Hunting in Arizona is regulated by a concise set of laws regarding the actions, behaviors, and training of a bail recovery agent, especially since a high profile case in 1997 where Bounty Hunter Michael Sanders was convicted of first degree murder. Out of state fugitive recovery agents must contract through an Arizona bail bondsman. Extensive laws ensure that Bounty Hunters act in a safe manner in Arizona.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Arizona

To Become a Bounty Hunter in Arizona an individual must work for a licensed bail bondsman. Due to the extensive regulations on Bounty Hunting in Arizona, training and education about Bounty Hunter regulations is highly recommended through local and online institutions.

Arizona Bounty Hunter License and Requirements

Bounty Hunters in Arizona are governed by an extensive set of provisions. Bounty Hunters may not have been convicted of theft, illegal use or possession of a deadly weapon, or any felony. They must also submit a set of finger prints to the state Department of Insurance and be identified in official reports as the bail recovery agent. Any “bail bond licensee” must also complete 20 credit hours of approved continuing education programming from an approved provider every two years.

While Bounty Hunters may arrest fugitives they may not enter a residence without consent, conduct an arrest without written authorization from a licensed bail bond agent, wear anything indicating they are affiliated with the state or federal government, or authorize a third party convicted of theft, a felony, or a weapons conviction to make an arrest. They must identify themselves as a bail recovery agent as well.

To maintain your status as a Bounty Hunter in Arizona it is therefore imperative to practice safe fugitive recovery and engage in training and courses that ensure the Fugitive Recovery Agent is up to date with current practices and statutes regarding bail recovery.

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Mason View Post
    From Online Resource:
    Liz,

When you quote an online resource, you might want to add the link for it (where you got it from) as well as the quote? Also, post if it is a partial quote or full quote on licensing for example. That way, we know if you got it from our forums or from the outside.
    Thanks for your participation

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Post View Post
    Liz,

When you quote an online resource, you might want to add the link for it (where you got it from) as well as the quote? Also, post if it is a partial quote or full quote on licensing for example. That way, we know if you got it from our forums or from the outside.
    Thanks for your participation
    I got word from the office they approve her to post without indicating the source in the topics. I can explain that to you in your moderator journal.

To Liz, please do not use the QUOTE feature with these licensing topics. They cannot be picked up by the Google Search Engines. You can simply use a header (like you did) to say they are from Internet Sources.

To Petra, if you wish go ahead and remove the QUOTE codes in her licensing posts. Liz does not have the edit tools to perform this correction.

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. I shall do this in the future. However, on this batch I posted for almost every state. The info came from outside the I.P.I.U. I believe there are about 47 or so.

Liz

***** Certified SPI

Quote Originally Posted by Technical Support - USA View Post
    To Petra, if you wish go ahead and remove the QUOTE codes in her licensing posts. Liz does not have the edit tools to perform this correction.
    Tech,

Do you want me to remove the quote tags from all states she posted this in? Let me know. I will also look for you in my moderator journal.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Mason View Post
    Thanks everyone. I shall do this in the future. However, on this batch I posted for almost every state. The info came from outside the I.P.I.U. I believe there are about 47 or so.

Liz
    Liz,

Thank you again for participating on the forums

Jacob Hall is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2014-2015 Corporate Agency Member of:

Thank you for the valuable information.

Thank you for the information in this thread. I found it very useful on what you have to do to become a bounty hunter.

Thank you
    Charmaine Stender