Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Indiana

PI LICENSING: Indiana

NO PI LICENSE NEEDED (EXEMPTIONS)
    (See list below)

(1) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: A law enforcement officer of the United States, a state, or a political subdivision of a state to the extent that the officer or employee is engaged in the performance of the officer's or employee's official duties.

(2) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: Any person to the extent that the person is engaged in the business of furnishing and obtaining information concerning the financial rating of other persons.

(3) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: A collection agency licensed by the secretary of state or its employee acting within the scope of the employee's employment, to the extent that the person is making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency, including an investigation of the location of a debtor or a debtor's assets in a property that the client has an interest in or a lien upon.

(4) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: An attorney or employee of an attorney to the extent that the person is engaged in investigative matters incident to the delivery of professional services that constitute the practice of law.

(5) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: An insurance adjuster to the extent that the adjuster is employed in the investigation and settlement of claims made against insurance companies or persons insured by insurance companies if the adjuster is a regular employee of the insurance company and the insurance company is authorized to do business in Indiana and is complying with the laws regulating insurance companies in Indiana.

(6) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: A person primarily engaged in the business of furnishing information for:

(A) business decisions and transactions in connection with credit, employment, or marketing; or

(B) insurance underwriting purposes; including a consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.).

(7) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: A retail merchant or an employee of the retail merchant to the extent that the person is hiring a private investigator for the purposes of loss prevention investigations for the retail merchant's retail establishment.

(8) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: A professional engineer registered under IC 25-31 or a person acting under a registered professional engineer's supervision, to the extent the professional engineer is engaged in an investigation incident to the practice of engineering.

(9) You do not need a state PI License if you are working as: An architect with a certificate of registration under IC 25-4, to the extent the architect is engaged in an investigation incident to the practice of architecture.

(10) A land surveyor with a certificate of registration under IC 25-21.5, to the extent the land surveyor is engaged in an investigation incident to the practice of land surveying.

(11) A certified public accountant with a certificate under IC 25-2.1-3, to the extent that the person is engaged in an investigation incident to the practice of accountancy.

(12) An independent consultant employed by the attorney general under IC 32-34-1-48, to the extent that the independent consultant is engaged in providing services for the attorney general.

Otherwise, if you are wishing to advertise as a private investigator to the general public, here is a list for you to consider:

Question:How do I apply for a private detective license?
    Answer:Applications may be picked up at our office located at 302 West Washington Street, Room E-034, Indianapolis, Indiana 46204; or an application can be mailed directly to you; or you may download an application from the internet at http://www.state.in.us/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/43777.pdf

Question:What are the licensing requirements?
    Answer:Before the application for a license is granted the applicant must be at least twenty-one years of age, be a resident of Indiana for at least one year, two years work experience in private detective, security, law enforcement or a four year degree in criminal law and no criminal record history.

Question:What is the licensing fee?
    Answer:The fee for issuance or renewal of a private detective license is $150. The fee for identification cards for authorized employees is $10, or $5 if the application for the identification card is made in the second year of the licensee's license. The fee for reinstatement of a delinquent license is $75.

Question:What are the requirements for an out-of-state company?
    Answer:1. Twenty-one years of age;
    2. Two years work experience in private detective, security, law enforcement, or a 4 year degree in criminal law;
    3. No criminal history;
    4. Have a resident licensee.

Question:What is a "resident licensee"?
    Answer:A resident licensee is an individual whose name and license appear on the license for the private detective business and who, in writing to the board, assumes full responsibility for all employees of the business, maintaining all records at the Indiana location, and assuring compliance with the statutes and rules. A preson may not do private detective business in Indiana unless they are licensed to do so.

Question: Does holding a valid private detective license authorize me to carry a handgun or weapon?
    Answer:Nothing in the statute and rules shall be construed to authorize any licensee to carry any weapon.

Question: Does holding a valid private detective license authorize me to arrest an individual?
    Answer:A private detective or an authorized employee of a security company has no arresting authority. Only a law enforcement officer/official may arrest an individual.

Question:When does the board meet?
    Answer:The board meets every third Thursday of every month

Current Statutes: http://www.in.gov/pla/files/PISG_Sta...es_2014(1).pdf

Licensing Home Page: http://www.in.gov/pla/pisg.htm

Verify License: https://extranet.in.gov/WebLookup/Se...spx?facility=Y

Question

It's very interesting to me that each state has it's own laws regarding the licensing of PI's, when you consider all of the interstate investigations etc.
    So how would that work, say for instance, a non licensed investigator was working on a case that took him/her in their investigations to another state that does require licensure of the investigator?
    Just curious.
    Sara Pickett
    Private Investigator Trainee

I know someone out there has the answer to my question. I have tried looking over all the fourms pertaining to Licensing, but it seems that crossing over into another territory/state could get a little tricky if licensure requirements are different for each state and the investigator is required to show his ID.
    Can someone please respond to this delema?
    Thanks in advance for any information provided.
    Have a GREAT weekend everyone.
    Sara Pickett

Disclosures

Hello Sara,

In the hypothetical situation where one would have to cross state lines while working on a case, there would be no need (or desire) to disclose the fact that you are a PI (licensed or unlicensed). It would also depend on the reason why you were being questioned by law enforcement regarding why you were at a particular scene. In other words, if it's a traffic stop, then supply only the needed information (driver's license, registration, proof of auto insurance, etc.). If it's more serious than that (e.g. you are charged with a crime), contact your employer and attorney.

The main thing to remember is that your primary job is to gather information and facts, not give it. As long as you're not breaking any laws or doing anything unethical during your investigation you should be fine. If you're employed by a reputable agency, they wouldn't ask you to do anything illegal or unethical. If you still have doubts, check the local laws and ask more questions. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Clarence M. Wood
    Badge #5716

Hello Clarence,

Yes your answer provided me with what I needed to know.
    It was just that somewhere in the forums I thought I had read that maybe the PI should call the local Law enforcemen in advance of certain types of investigations to let them know what they were doing, say in the case of an insurance fraud investigation or something of that nature. So I was wondering how that situation would be handled by the PI given that the PI was from out of state.
    Thanks you so much for your input.
    See you around the boards. Have a very pleasant Sunday.
    Sara Pickett

So whats the deal with insurance? I know I.C. says 7000$ for under 15 employes, but is it the same if it is just you?.

Hi Eric,

Welcome!! to the FORUMS. You'll find a BUNCH of great people here.
    All the moderators and admin. are wonderful to help out as well as the other members. We hope you enjoy your stay, gain much knowledge, experience and many friends along the way.
    By the way that's a great question. You might try clicking about and trying it as a new topic. Just click on "Start a new topic" over in the right TOP column and ask your question. You'll be surprised how quickly you will get a response.
    Best of luck. Hope we'll be seeing more of you you around the boards.
    Sara Pickett

Smile

Thanks for the welcom, I'll try that new topic idea of yours and see what happens.

Cool training

How long will it take to be a certified private investigator. In knowing the legal matters and the job in general is there a PI in my surronding area where I can get my OTJT from or will I start out as a gofer. Thanks just concerned.
    Tony E. Whitaker

Lightbulb PI Licensing Indiana

It end up getting a PI license in Indiana,. Will have to get one for Kentucky in which I live 5 minutes away from. And much does a license in Kentucky cost.
    Tony E. Whitaker

Re: training

Originally posted by Tony E. Whitaker
    How long will it take to be a certified private investigator. In knowing the legal matters and the job in general is there a PI in my surronding area where I can get my OTJT from or will I start out as a gofer. Thanks just concerned.
    Hi Tony,

I moved your post here because it was improperly posted in the Testimonials Forum where you likely would not have received any help.

You will probably have many questions as you read through the topics. To help us keep the board easy to read without redundant questions, please post your questions in your introduction topic. One of the Moderators or other members will be along to point you in the right direction with a link or advice.

I am not familiar with the laws in your state, but I do know that most states require two or sometimes three years of work experience to meet the licensing requirements.

Check with your state authoritees about your licensing questions. I wouldn't want to advise you incorrectly. I would imagine that you would have to be licensed in the state where you will be working. Check with that state as to the cost. Pricing can change without notice.

After you complete the application process with IPIU and reach Level 4, follow up on ALL of the offerings made to you by IPIU. This will allow you to gain the necessary experience to qualify you for other offerings from local agencies through IPIU. As part of your membership with IPIU, IPIU will keep track of and "certify" your work experience for the licensing requirements.

Of course, all offerings are based on availability in your area. I'm not an administrator, so I have no idea about what is available in your area. If you are near a large metropolitan area, your chances for gaining that initial experience will probably be greater.

Just remember that anything worth having requires hard work, determination, and commitment. It's a gamble worth taking if it is what you have always dreamed of doing!

licensing

I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice, Here in Indiana this was one of the prerequisites to get the license. Do you suggest i go and get it or get more training in the investigative field

Re: licensing

Originally posted by Shonnet S Glasgow
    I have a Bachelor's in Criminal Justice, Here in Indiana this was one of the prerequisites to get the license. Do you suggest i go and get it or get more training in the investigative field
    You do not need a license to start gaining your PI experience. But go ahead and request the applications to be mailed to you to start on it.

In the meantime you may wish to read the following Level 4 Members topic for other work you can get this week:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4856
    Josie

MS. JOSIE RAY
    Federal Civil Case Manager
    Law Offices Of Attorney Services
    National Division

Thank you Josie, I'll do just that.

Insurance

Anyone have any information on how much the insurance costs for an individual or under 14 employees?

I have been wanting to start a small buisness ketching cheaters exp. wifes, husbands. I would like to know if I would need a PI License for a buisness like this?

Thank You

Jim Whitt

Originally posted by Jimmy A. Whitt
    [B]I have been wanting to start a small buisness ketching cheaters exp. wifes, husbands. I would like to know if I would need a PI License for a buisness like this?

I would have one to cover my butt. Being that you will be charging people I'm sure.
    Andre Hillard
    Cadet Police Officer

Help???

Quote Originally Posted by Josie Ray
    You do not need a license to start gaining your PI experience.
    Could you help me with some of the things that you think I could do to start getting some PI experience???
    Thanks a lot.

I have a question

Hello,

I have a question about getting my license here in Indiana. I understand that I need to verify two years of training, correct? I have been doing mystery shopping for the past year and I think this would count toward my two years of needed training, or would it? And if it does, how and who would I need to verify that I have been working in that area?

Thanks,

Kelly
    Last edited by Kelly Jewett; 04-12-2004 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Accidently posted twice

License

is it that easy to get a license to be a private investigator

Red face

I'd like to know if mystery shopping counts in Indiana also.And if anyone knows
    about the laws on carring our badges in Indiana also.
    Have a good week end.
    Carolyn Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Donna Lee
    I'd like to know if mystery shopping counts in Indiana also.
    It depends on how your experience is recorded and presented to the licensing board. Years ago there was no such term as mystery shopping. It was known as Integrity Investigations, and it was all performed by private investigators. Many licensed agencies still perform Integrity Investigations along with their other specialties. So if you present it as Integrity Investigations, then the experience should count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Donna Lee
    And if anyone knows
    about the laws on carring our badges in Indiana also.
    Have a good week end.
    Carolyn Lee
    Go to the other forum titled BADGE LICENSING LAWS, and read your state topic.

I had the same question, thanks for thinking ahead.

David Martz - is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Forum Member
    TO all group members,
    The Professinal Licencsing Board would not Issue a PI license with only Mystery Shopping Hrs You do not have to have a PI license in the State Of INDIANA.
    The Law on hrs Here are 4000 hrs under a licensed PI in 2yrs, Or A criminal Justice Degree ,or law enforcement employment of 2yrs.

REGARDS,
    The Rose Investigations
    David Martz

Dear group,
    I also need to include Private security in the list, Because to have a security Business in INDIANA there has to be a Licensed PI as the license holder for the company.
    INDIANA's PI license is a dual license for private detective & Private Security.
    Sorry I left out all the security people this was just a mistake on my part.

The Rose Investigations
    David Martz

Dear Members,
    I have read a few posts on the $7,000 for up to 14 employees
    topic. I will try and explain this for you. This is not Insurance this is a bond that you must put up with the state when you apply for your PI license. What this bond is , Is it states you or your agency will abide by the state laws for PI's.Should you or your agency break any state laws and are convicted in court for doing so the state will be awarded the full amout of the bond. This will not protect you or your company from being sued. Also remember that you or your company are liable for any and all employees that work for you.
    Question#2 Yes you have to put this up if it is just you.
    You do not have to put up this bond if you have one hundred thousand dollar per occurrence liability Insurance policy. If you employee 15 people or more you have to have the Insurance to get your license.

Hope this helps,
    David

Kathie Evans is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Smile License in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by David Martz
    TO all group members,
    The Professinal Licencsing Board would not Issue a PI license with only Mystery Shopping Hrs You do not have to have a PI license in the State Of INDIANA.
    The Law on hrs Here are 4000 hrs under a licensed PI in 2yrs, Or A criminal Justice Degree ,or law enforcement employment of 2yrs.

REGARDS,
    The Rose Investigations
    David Martz
    Thanks Dave for the info. I was wondering about the license, well I guess I am safe cause either way, I am currently in school for criminal justice, I can not wait until its over and I can begin investigating various things.
    Thanks for the information!
    Kathie

Deborah A Bujdos is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    Hi everybody I am new to this group and you are all very informational. I was licensed in PA and have been working in a different field for the past few years however while Iwas working under a licensed PI and then licensed myself I know that there were a few investigators who were not licensed adthey said they did not need to be licensed if they only did civil cases I was never sure how the civil investigators did not need, a license. Has anyone ever heard this issue concerning the civil investigators not needing a license?
    thank you. sincerely
    Deborah Bujdos

Hello Deborah,
    Without going to your state laws( which I can if you wish) In most states the law reads you do not need a license if you work under an attorney or a licensed Law Firm,
    So if the PI's were working for a attorney or law firm they we protected under the lawyer and or the lawfirm doing civil court investigations. Hope this helped and like I said i would be glad to look up the law for your state if you wish.

Have a good week,
    David

Thank you for your above posts David. I am sure many here thought the "mystery shopping" was experience hours towards a license.

I have done several Integrity Investigations and a couple Anti-Piracy. Chop, Chop.

Dear Kurk Petterson,
    The way I posted the above message needs to be clairified, The board will include these types of assingment in your application. If you have only done Mystery shopping for 2000 hrs and you try to get your license they will not consider this to be enough experience in the field of Private Investigations. but they will include it among other types of training.
    Good Luck,
    David

Deborah A Bujdos is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    Hi David,

Thank you for the information regarding the licensing laws in PA. I was never quite sure how that worked for the investigators that were not licensed although I herard that their investigations were considered to be the appearing attorneys work product. I am a new member of this forum and have really enjoyed reading the posts. Everyone is so nice and extremely helpful. Once again thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Deborah Bujdos

Hello Deborah,
    You are very welcome,

Have a good Week,
    David

Indiana Licensing

Having over 15 years experience in Law Enforcement I know I qualify for the PI license.
    How do I prove these years of experience when I apply for my PI License?

Mr. Shank,
    If you have 15 years experience as a Commissioned LEO in Indiana you should have a copy of your Commission & also you should have a certificate of your Police Academy
    Graduation. Also include any department letters, training certificates as to coarses you took while on duty as LEO.

Mr.Shank,
    They also should have records of your work,or at least I'd think they would.
    Just food for thought.
    Carolyn Lee

Thanks for all the great home work.

Charles the new guy

Hi , This question to Mr, Robert Donovan : On page 1 (PI LICENSING :Indiand ) you did not mention any tip of security , but when you answered question about licensing requirment you said SECURITY as one of the licensing requirment. Can you or any one explain what do you mean by security? Thank you so much George E Ibrahim

Hi ,I need help to clear this point : You do NOT need a license if you work in the folloing:1...,2...,3....,.....14 (read the top page ) ,but the licensing requirements(in the second quistion)are ........two years work experience in private detctive , SECURITY,law enforcment or four year degree in criminal law and no criminal record history.If you confiused read PI LICENSING: Indiana.I want to know how many years you should work security , or just because you are security may apply for Indiana PI license.If anyone can help appreciate that. George E Ibrahim

Can someone tell me what the insurance requirements are if you are only doing bail enforcement and not investigations? Also, I was told that if you were working for a bondsmen, you didn't need a license if you just let the local LE make the arrest. Any advice? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast