Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All 50 State's Process Serving Laws

Edward Taguba is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forums

Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Darin,

Thank you for your hard work. Keep up the good work my friend.

Aloha,

Process Serving and Licensing laws

I would like to be upgraded to work with piracy and process serving laws. When I try to log on, I get informed that access is not allowed to me and I thought I was already upgraded.

Re: Process Serving and Licensing laws

Originally posted by Geraldine LaMarche
    I would like to be upgraded to work with piracy and process serving laws. When I try to log on, I get informed that access is not allowed to me and I thought I was already upgraded.
    First, post a REPLY in this topic under your Geraldine LaMarche User Name. That way you are logged into the forums with your password.

Then Click on ALL of the following Level 4 links. You should be able to directly into the Federal Forum and others that you have access to. If not, send an email to technical@ipiu.org asking for their USA telephone support number to call.

CURRENT LEVEL 4 AGENCY FORUMS:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=28

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=5

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=12

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=12

Note: The Process Server Jobs Forum is not opened yet.

Maryland Laws

I was able to open the link for Maryland State, however I can not find the rules and regulations for process servers in my state. Can someone help me find out what law apply to process servers in the state of Maryland?

Professional Member of:

Re: Maryland Laws

Originally posted by Lauren Skarzinski
    I was able to open the link for Maryland State, however I can not find the rules and regulations for process servers in my state. Can someone help me find out what law apply to process servers in the state of Maryland?
    Aloha Lauren,

Follow the link below.

Maryland State Laws

Edward Taguba, MBA, Ph.D.

Professional Global Technology Consultant
    http://www.edtaguba.com
    www.ipiu.org | www.privateinvestigators.cc

Maryland State Laws

Sorry, the Maryland State Laws come up "Unknown Host". I have a potential opportunity here in my area and I would like to make sure I have everything in order first. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for your Help.

Lauren

Janice Foster is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Maryland Link

Lauren,

I just happened to see your note and I clicked on the Maryland Link and did not have a problem, I took me right to the site. You may want to try again and/or reboot your computer and try again. I'm a computer consultant so I thought I'd give you a couple things to try so you can see the link. If I am imposing, I apologize.

Janice
    Janice L. Foster
    Private Investigator

It worked!

Thank you Janice, I really appreciate it. I rebooted and the link worked perfect this time. Don't ever think you are imposing. One great thing I love about the forums is everyone is willing to help someone else.

Have a great day, Lauren

Texas Link is pointing to C:\

Darin,

The Texas Link is pointing to a "C" drive and does not work. Just an FYI and thanks for all of the information.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Thanks, Darin.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member

Re: Texas Link is pointing to C:\

Originally posted by Rockie L. Gaddie
    Darin,

The Texas Link is pointing to a "C" drive and does not work. Just an FYI and thanks for all of the information.
    Texas is fixed!
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Darin Biddle is offline *** Certified SPI

Former Moderator:
    Distinguished Member
    Originally posted by B Ann Craig
    Thanks, Darin.
    You're welcome!
    What you don't know can, and usually does hurt you!
    ~ Darin Biddle ~

Darin, thank you for posting all of that great information.
    I have just sent my fingerprints in. Is there any reason that I couldn't begin serving papers if I could find the work?

Bear on line

My advice is to check out the county courthouse. They should be able to tell you what to do. And/or check your state's homepage for state law. Here in WA it is very simple: fill out registration, pay $10, get business license. That is pretty much it. But be sure you know what to do (to find people who do not want to be served), and what constitutes legal service of a document. These rules vary state to state.

Any one else have comments?

Thanks for the information..

Darin - Thanks for the information on Process Serving. I am building a reference book on all the information I have gotten on the forums. Keep up the good work!
    Sacheen Mobley

"we make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give - give well"

Re: Thanks for the information..

Originally posted by Sacheen Mobley
    Darin - Thanks for the information on Process Serving. I am building a reference book on all the information I have gotten on the forums. Keep up the good work!
    The reference book is a great idea. The information overload on process serving requires documenting so you do not forget the smaller details. This also allows you to help others, as well. Thanks for the tip!

Elizabeth Goldsmith Guest

Unhappy process server

I have started getting my credentials for process serving. I am in San Francisco, Ca. area and would like to know how or where will I find a job. How do I go about getting work!

Elizabeth, the first place I'd check would be with the Circuit Court Clerks office. They can tell you whether they use independent process servers or use the Sheriff's dept... if you get someone REAL helpful, they can give you some ideas of local Law firms that might be using some too!
    Arden

"Patience, n. A minor form of dispair, disguised as a virtue."

19. Thumbs up Thanks!

Hey, Darin!

Thanks for that link. You saved me hours of research!

David W. Henson Guest

Question Process Serving in the state of Maryland

I was just wondering if there is anyone who is familiar with or knows where I can acquire the requirements to become a process server in the state of Maryland? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David W. Henson

Process serving in Maryland

If you look in the job openings forum there is an agency here in Maryland that frequently has job openings for process servers. I reponded to their ad and have been working part time as a sub-contractor for a while now. I did not have previous experience at the time, but I applied anyways. I sent them an e-mail and within a week I started working for them.

Good Luck!

Lauren

David W. Henson Guest

Cool Thanks

Lauren,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the MD Link for Process Serving listed in one of the forums and I have yet to find the info I was looking for.

I will check the job openings forum and see what I can find.

Since you have been doing this, how has it been going?

David W. Henson

Serving in Maryland

David, They have been keeping me quite busy. I am sure if I wanted to do this full time, there would be plenty of work. I work full time at another job, so I do most of my serves on the weekends and a few during the week. I have run into quite a variety of people. Most of the serves go quite well and people have been pretty decent. It seems the ones that become arrogant or nasty, have been people employed in the professional field.

Sometimes it is difficult trying to juggle both jobs because my full time job is one hour away from home and many nights I do not get home until 8:00 p.m.
    This is one of the reasons I only do serves in my county. Also, there are many times I may have to go back to an address 3 or 4 times. If I did not limit my area to my county, I would loose money on the gas I would use.

My favorite serve so far, was when I went to this apartment complex one evening after work. The neighborhood was not one of our nicer neighborhoods. I knocked on the door a couple of times and finally a gentlemen yelled out the upstairs bedroom window "Who's down there".
    I asked him if he was so and so, and he said ,"yes". I asked if he would come downstairs so I could talk to him. When he came downstairs. I identified myself and told him my reason for being there. He said, "Man, how do you people find me, I don't even live here, Now what I do?" I explained that I did not know what it was about, but I just deliver the documents. He read over the documents and then he politely says to me,"Well, I guess I really should'nt shoot the mesenger." and I politely responded, Thank you, I really appreciate that."

All in all most of the people I run into are pretty nice. I enjoy the work.

Good Luck, David

Lauren

Elizabeth Goldsmith Guest

Smile process serving

Thank you David for sharing some of your experience out in the field. Process serving doesn't seem too scary. I'm game! Can't wait to get started. Looking forward to ipiu helping me get some jobs.

Lauren,

Hi!
    I just wanted to say that was a great experience that you shared with us!
    I hope to share some of mine as well when I become an investigator. I also hope to start my own agency and will be looking for people in MD to work with as partners.
    What county do you live in?
    Jeff Colón
    Badge #5711

Process server

Hi Darin, thanks for your information. I live in Ohio, read the rules at the Serve-em page, but would like more info on process servers.
    What risk? What pay? Any help? Thanks

Helpful Information

Darin
    Thanks for all the great information on process serving. There is alot to read and certainly enough to keep one interested as "I am". I would like to do this type of work, so If you or anyone else can give me some insight on oppurtunities in the Virginia area I would really appreciate it. Again thanks for all the really great information.

Hi, Jeff, I live in Harford County. I also would like to get into investigative work full time. I have been in the manufacturing field too many years and I am ready for a change. I enjoy my work but many times there is too much stress on the job. I love the challenge but I would like to take on something that is more fullfilling. I have been taking a home training course in Private Investigation. I am hoping with the Process Serving and a couple of other avenues I am checking out, that eventually I will get my foot in the door.

I am glad you enjoyed my process server experience but I have to say most of them are uneventful. Perhaps this is a good thing! The only real problem is trying to juggle my time. The light at the end of the tunnel is knowing that this problem is only temporary.

Lauren

Question Where's my post?

Darin... I posted a message regarding a good website.

I thought it was appropriate because 1: it was regarding the laws in all the states and 2: since it was a website mentioned in PI mag, I thought it was OK with Legal.

I notice it wasn't moved, it was just deleted without reason.

?
    "Shaken... not stirred".

Smile Process Servers in Florida

Julia

Question Serving Laws different for each county?

I was led to understand that the laws for each county in Texas are different when it comes to process serving. Is there another site that I might check out that lists the laws for Tarrant, Johnson, Hill, Ellis and Dallas?

Inquisitively,
    Daymi E. Baker

I called the county clerks office about 6 weeks ago and they transferred me to two other people and noone knew anything, I was connected to an investigator's voicemail and he never returned my call. I am going to go in person. Hopefully I will get the information I need.

Thanks,

Deborah Siehl

Smile Just another thanks!

Your effort is appreciated; this is a fine source. Thanks for taking the time and putting it together.

Unhappy Problem with the Utah link???

I've tried the link for Utah a couple times recently and keep getting the "The page cannot be displayed" message. Does anyone else have problems with this link now, or is this a problem with me/my computer?? I guess I should have added the link to my favorites last time I made it there, but I didn't. Anyone else having issues? Keep it up none the less, this is a great bunch of info you've put together.

Professional Member of:
    Aloha Chad,

Try the following link below

Utah Rules

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

Edward Taguba, MBA, Ph.D.

Professional Global Technology Consultant
    http://www.edtaguba.com
    www.ipiu.org | www.privateinvestigators.cc

Thanks Edward!

I appreciate the information.

Cool Darin

Thanks for that information on Process Servers. I have been contacting various agenies on Process Servering in the Maryland area and it seems that just about every body at this time is not in need of one. But I'll keep on trying,with this new information that you have provided for us, it's very helpful.

Thanks
    badge # 5571
    Dwyane Oliver

process serving in PA

Hello all,I just read the laws of Process Serving in PA and from what i gathered you have to be a sheriff.Did i miss somthing or should i just go straight to the courthouse and find out?This seems to be a very interesting field and i would really like to learn more about it. Thanks for the help.
    Anna G Duffey

Thumbs up process serving laws

Very informative link Yet I guess most useful to one heavily versed in "legalise" whereas and herewiths, etc., though made to speak with precision, often require much more analysis than plain speaking. For example I've read other places that CA. state requires no license for process serving unless over a certain amount served each year . I plan to carefully search this great law link to verify what I've read from previous sources . .
    Straight Arrow

Smile reply

Thanks Carl yea i guess the best way to find out about this is to put my investgative skills to use and look for answers. take care see-ya in the forums, Anna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast