Thread: INDIANA LAW: Recovery Agents

Anthony Bridgestone is offline Professional Services Dept

International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Founded in 1989
    For Recovery Agent licensing and laws, go here:

http://www.in.gov/idoi/2491.htm

In the above link are also details for becoming a "Bail Agent" which is different than a Recovery Agent.

Carefully read the details because there is an "application fee" plus an examination fee, which the total may be $400 depending on your insurance premium.

SAMPLE TEST QUESTIONS:
    http://www.in.gov/idoi/files/bail_re...ent%284%29.pdf

Recovery agents must be licensed. Ind. Code Ann. § 27-10-3-1 (1997).

To obtain a license, recovery agents must be at least 18 years old, be a citizen of the U.S., be a resident of the state for at least 6 months, at least 10 years must have elapsed after any felony conviction to obtain a license (5 years for misdemeanor), Ind. Code Ann. § 27-10-3-5, and they must pass an examination given by the State, Ind. Code Ann. § 27-10-3-6.

Recovery agents must notify the sheriff in their respective locales of residence, Ind. Code Ann. § 27-10-3-17, and bail bond agents must give the state a list of recovery agents they employ. Ind. Code Ann. § 27-10-3-14.

Bail bond agent and bounty hunter cannot forcibly enter the home of a third party. Mishler v. State, 660 N.E.2d 343 (Ind. App.1996).

IN Recovery Agent

I checked into the requirements for the state of IN for a Bounty Hunter "Recovery Agent". Here is the IN's requirements.

Be 18 years of age at time of application.

Have been a resident of Indiana for six months preceding application.

Have no felony conviction in the past ten years.

Have no misdemeanor conviction in the past five years ( if the misdemeanor involved dishonesty, violence or a deadly weapon).

Properly complete and submit an application and the $300.00 fee.

Pass the multiple choice examination.

Here is a link to the website. www.ai.org/idoi/bailbond/recoveryagents.html

Post how can i get start

Do you have any more information that I may references to find about how to become a recovery agent.

Clifton Brown

Call the indiana department of insurance in indianapolis. Ask to be transfered to the bail bond division then ask for the recovery agent packet. They will send you all the information you need to schedual and pass the test. Be ready to drop about 400$$$ in the process

HEY, is there anyone out there who actually took the exam?? What should one expect? Difficult, easy? Someone drop me some info.

Question Recovery Agents

Is there a big demand here in Indiana for recovery agents. And is the pay the same as a PI.
    Tony E. Whitaker

Private detective/Skip Tracer/Bodyguard

Hey, anyone wanting any info on becoming a Bountyhunter ( Or Recovery Agent ) as it is more normally reffered to, please feel free to reply to me.

The number to the Department of Insurance is (317) 232-5249 ( ask for Mickey there ). The mailing address is:

Department of Insurance
    Bail Bond Division
    311 West Washington Suite 300
    Indianapolis, IN. 46204.

The Package that they send out to you is pretty much self explanatory, and depending on when you apply, you could only have to pay half of the entire fee.

The Study material is the same for a Bail Agent ( Bail Bondsman ) as it is for a Recovery Agent ( Bountyhunter )...

There is a need for Good Bountyhunters in Indy where there are over 80,000 open warrants in the state. The good thing about being a bountyhunter is that you can freelance for several Bail Agencies.

There is also a Program here in Indiana called Crimestoppers that offers awards for information or apprehension of wanted fugitives...

Recovery Agent Help

The Best way to get involved in the recovery Agent biz is to become immersed in the bail bonding industry, basically, hanging around Bail bondsmen ( or women ).

Learning the lingo and the ins and outs of the biz will make taking the test a whole lot easier.

Unlike the Bondsman, a recovery agent's paperwork load is nil to none, meaning the bail Bondsman is responsible for having the defendent and his indemnitors fill out the proper paperwork to exact the defendent's release.

The basic pay for a recovery agent is usually 10% of the face of the original Bond, meaning a bond worth $10,000 means the defendent msut pay $1,000 to get out of Jail.

Say the defendent doesn't show up for his court date, the court issues a FTA ( Failure To Appear ) and also notifies the Bondsman, the Bondsman then has 365 days to surrender the defendent back to the jurisdiction of the court he had FTA.

The bondsman either hires a recovery agent or looks for the defendent himself ( A Bondsman license is both a recovery agent's license as well as a bail bonding license $650 )

If the bondsman hires a recovery agent he typically offers the recovery agent 10% or $1,000. If the original bond was $50,000 the recovery agent would get $5,000

Re: IN Recovery Agent

Hey tony thanks a million,
    Now this is the type of info I 've been searching for.

Originally posted by Tony Simonton
    I checked into the requirements for the state of IN for a Bounty Hunter "Recovery Agent". Here is the IN's requirements.

Be 18 years of age at time of application.

Have been a resident of Indiana for six months preceding application.

Have no felony conviction in the past ten years.

Have no misdemeanor conviction in the past five years ( if the misdemeanor involved dishonesty, violence or a deadly weapon).

Properly complete and submit an application and the $300.00 fee.

Pass the multiple choice examination.

Here is a link to the website. www.ai.org/idoi/bailbond/recoveryagents.html
    Andre Hillard
    Cadet Police Officer

Cool Indiana Licensing Laws: Recovery Agents

Thank you Larry for the helpful info into
    becoming a recovering agent. I'm new
    to the IPIU and am certainlly finding these
    forums productive.
    Bill S.
    Bill Springer

Thanks for the info. I will be calling Indy tomorrow about the initial packet for a Recovery Agent. Thanks again.

Lightbulb Regarding Recovery Agents

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cornett
    Hey, anyone wanting any info on becoming a Bountyhunter ( Or Recovery Agent ) as it is more normally reffered to, please feel free to reply to me.

The number to the Department of Insurance is (317) 232-5249 ( ask for Mickey there ). The mailing address is:

Department of Insurance
    Bail Bond Division
    Indianapolis, IN. 46204.

The Package that they send out to you is pretty much self explanatory, and depending on when you apply, you could only have to pay half of the entire fee.

The Study material is the same for a Bail Agent ( Bail Bondsman ) as it is for a Recovery Agent ( Bountyhunter )...

There is a need for Good Bountyhunters in Indy where there are over 80,000 open warrants in the state. The good thing about being a bountyhunter is that you can freelance for several Bail Agencies.

There is also a Program here in Indiana called Crimestoppers that offers awards for information or apprehension of wanted fugitives...
    Hi Larry,

Your posts regarding Recovery Agents are interesting! Do you have time to receive calls at the number listed to provide a curious IPIU member some insight?

Sincerely,

Curt
    Last edited by Robert Donovan; 04-29-2004 at 09:46 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Luna
    Hi Larry,

Your posts regarding Recovery Agents are interesting! Do you have time to receive calls at the number listed to provide a curious IPIU member some insight?

Sincerely,

Curt
    Rather than post non-licensing items here, invite Larry to post in the Bounty Hunters Forum where the non-public area is more secure. Licensed PI's and all Level 4 members have access to the Bounty Hunters Forum.

In other words

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donovan
    Rather than post non-licensing items here, invite Larry to post in the Bounty Hunters Forum where the non-public area is more secure. Licensed PI's and all Level 4 members have access to the Bounty Hunters Forum.
    Well Robert, I"ll just follow up on my own regarding Larry's comments, or simply wait till I have Level 4 access to inquire about Bounty Hunter's.

Thanks,

Curt

Larry, you seem to really know what you're talking about. Can I run a question by you. I am in a very wierd situation. I work as an analyst for the National Guard Counter-drug Program and I am assigned to a federal law enforcement agencies warrant task force to assist them, as an analyst. I have been given Special Deputy powers through the local Sheriff Dept. for investigative purposes only. My contract with them specifically says NO arrest powers, no firearms. I was speaking to Mickey and then to the lawyer at IDOI. The lawyer told me that upon applying they would deny my app. for recovery agent, but solely on a grey area in the laws (he even stated it was very grey). I would then be able to appeal and they might grant me a license. Do you have any advice/insight on this? If you are denied by the appeal board can you ever reapply? Like, if I no longer had the Special Deputy powers. Thanks for your comments.

Mark

THANKS LARRY for all of your information!!

Larry, do you need any kind of licence to do executive protection?

Antonio

Larry, I used to work at the harrison county sherriff's dept although I live in kentucky (meade county) was considering the move to indiana. I still have to wait 6 months before I can apply?

Hi Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Wayne Simmons
    Larry, I used to work at the harrison county sherriff's dept although I live in kentucky (meade county) was considering the move to indiana. I still have to wait 6 months before I can apply?
    Funny world, i live next door to 2 Harrison County Sherrifs.
    Do you know Gene Dedoeaux, or Major Payne?

Indiana recovery looks easier than some other states.

Kathie Evans is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

recovery agent

Department of Insurance
    Bail Bond Division
    Indianapolis, IN. 46204.

Hi Larry, thank you for the tips, I am finishing my degree as of next month for criminal justice and want to know if you have any information on how to begin to search for work in this field? Thanks you, Kathie

Indianatest questions or study Info for Bail Bondsman

Does anyone no where to find any information for Bailbondsman for the state exam. Or if no test information how is the test any keys to remeber.

Thanks,

Matthew

J?ust for my own thoughts, how difficult is it to become employed in the recovery field in Indiana

The Best way to get involved in the recovery Agent biz is to become immersed in the bail bonding industry, basically, hanging around Bail bondsmen ( or women ).

Learning the lingo and the ins and outs of the biz will make taking the test a whole lot easier.

Unlike the Bondsman, a recovery agent's paperwork load is nil to none, meaning the bail Bondsman is responsible for having the defendent and his indemnitors fill out the proper paperwork to exact the defendent's release.

The basic pay for a recovery agent is usually 10% of the face of the original Bond, meaning a bond worth $10,000 means the defendent msut pay $1,000 to get out of Jail.

Say the defendent doesn't show up for his court date, the court issues a FTA ( Failure To Appear ) and also notifies the Bondsman, the Bondsman then has 365 days to surrender the defendent back to the jurisdiction of the court he had FTA.

The bondsman either hires a recovery agent or looks for the defendent himself ( A Bondsman license is both a recovery agent's license as well as a bail bonding license $650 )

If the bondsman hires a recovery agent he typically offers the recovery agent 10% or $1,000. If the original bond was $50,000 the recovery agent would get $5,000
    Larry, your insight into the field is enlightening, Thank you.

Wow.. Yes Larry that was excellent info. Thats everything i wanted to know... Well... almost. The fee for the license is different from every person. What is the current fee at right now?

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Re: INDIANA LAW: Recovery Agents

From Internet Resource:
    Bounty Hunting in Indiana is governed by the Department of Insurance and specific requirements must be met in order to obtain a Bounty Hunter’s License. Once a license is secured, Bail Enforcement can be very rewarding as Fugitive Recovery Agent’s have the authority to arrest fugitives throughout the state.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Indiana

To become a Bounty Hunter in Indiana one must meet a number of licensing requirements as listed below. Become-a-bounty-hunter recommends training and education in order to meet the requirement that licensees “have knowledge” in the bail bond business and pass the formal examination. While the $750 of fees are slightly more than other states, holding an individual Bail Agent’s License allows Fugitive Recovery Agents to pursue and apprehend fugitives themselves, which can be very rewarding for the individual.

Indiana Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Bounty Hunters must be licensed in Indiana. Licenses in the state are known as a “Bail Agent’s License” and they may only be issued to individuals. In order to obtain a license you must be 18 years old, not been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years or a misdemeanor in 5, be a resident of the state, have knowledge or receive instruction in the bail bond business or have held a “line of fire” license for one of the last five years, and take and pass a written examination. Furthermore, you must pay a $650 licensing fee, a $100 examination fee, and submit fingerprints and a photo to the Department of Insurance.

Member of:

Wonderful Information, so if I have only had 1 dui, no felonies then I can do the exam and pay the fee correct?

Member of:

Hello, dont ya have to have a 12 hr certificate to take the exam? I wonder if my Bachelors of criminology would count towards that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Hillard - View Post
    Hey tony thanks a million,
    Now this is the type of info I 've been searching for.

Terry Joseph-- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Thank you for the information, Larry,Anthony, and Tony. Extremely informative and insightful. I plan to start a firm in South Bend which, for those of us that live in Indiana understand exactly how dangerous and volatile the recover(e)es may or may not be. The South Bend Police Department seems to need all the help they can get, and I have several veteran friends coming back from various Middle Eastern countries in need of work. They and their families thank you for these links and so do I.

Brent Jarvis is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Hello dose anyone Know if there is any of the active Bounty hunters here Indiana willing to do hands on training so i can see about getting my state licensing .Brent Jarvis