Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    THERE MAY BE 2 OR MORE PAGES
    to this Topic!

Make sure you click on the Page Number at
    the bottom and top of this Topic.

NO LICENSE IS REQUIRED IF you fall into the following:
    1. A person who is employed exclusively or regularly by one employer and performs investigations solely in connection with the affairs of that employer, if the employer is not a "private investigator agency";
    2. A person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information about the financial rating of persons;
    3. A person who is a forensic scientist, accident reconstructionist, or other person who performs similar functions and does not hold himself or herself out to be an investigator in any other capacity;
    4. A person solely engaged in the business of securing information about persons or property from public records.
    5. An officer or employee of the United States or of this state or a political subdivision thereof, while engaged in the performance of the officer's official duties;
    6. An attorney at law while performing the attorney's duties as an attorney;
    7. A licensed collection agency or its employee, while acting within the scope of that person's employment and making an investigation incidental to the business of the agency;
    8. Insurers, agents, and insurance brokers licensed by the state, while performing duties in connection with insurance transacted by them;
    9. A bank subject to the jurisdiction of the department of financial institutions or the comptroller of currency of the United States, or a savings and loan association subject to the jurisdiction of this state or the federal home loan bank board;
    10. A licensed insurance adjuster performing the adjuster's duties within the scope of the adjuster's license;
    11. A secured creditor engaged in the repossession of the creditor's collateral, or a lessor engaged in the repossession of leased property in which it claims an interest;

[2000 c 171 § 37; 1995 c 277 § 18; 1991 c 328 § 2.]
    Interpretation:
    An unlicensed private investigator can be employed by any law firm, insurance company, or other business that is not advertising as a private investigator agency. Once an unlicensed private investigator begins to solicit him/herself directly to the general public, then the following licensing guidelines take effect:

REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE

Private Investigative Agency (an individual, partnership, or corporation in the business of conducting investigations):

You must be at least eighteen years of age for unarmed and twenty-one years of age for armed; be a citizen or resident alien; have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety; possess three years compensated work experience in investigations; or pass an examination. If applying on the basis of exam, the exam will be scheduled within three weeks of receipt of a paid application. Prior to issuing the license, you must provide a certificate of insurance ($25,000 bodily injury and $25,000 property damage) or a $10,000 Surety Bond. The application fee is $350 and is non-refundable.

Unarmed Private Investigator (an individual that works for a licensed private investigative agency)

You must be at least eighteen years of age; be a citizen or resident alien; have no criminal convictions that directly relate to your capacity to perform the duties of a private investigator and/or hinders public safety; be employed by or have an employment offer from a licensed private investigative agency; complete pre-assignment training; and submit a set of fingerprints. Applications are submitted directly to the licensed private investigative agency you wish to work for.

Armed Private Investigator (an individual that works armed for a licensed private investigative agency; or is an agency principal):

You must be licensed as a unarmed private investigator or agency principal; be 21 years of age; submit two (2) fingerprint cards; and complete an eight-hour firearms certification through the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. Also, you can view their website for a listing of Firearm Instructors.

Certified Trainer (an endorsement to a license that allows an individual to provide the pre-assignment training):

PRE-REQUISITES: You must be licensed as a private investigative agency principal, an unarmed investigator, or an armed investigator, possess three years compensated work experience in investigations, and pass an examination given by the Department of Licensing.

APPLICATION FEES:
    Private Investigator Agency:
    With UnArmed Owner - $550

Private Investigator Agency:
    With Armed Owner: $650

Unarmed Private Investigator $150

Armed Private Investigator $100

Certified Trainer $25

License Transfer $25

Exam Required for: Agency principal who does not possess the required experience, and Certified Trainers.

Most Asked Questions:

Where will I take the exam?

The exams are scheduled at driver's licensing offices around the state. The exam will be mailed to a licensing office near you. When the exam is completed it will be returned to this office to be scored.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When will I get the results?

A result letter will be mailed to you approximately ten days after you take your exam, indicating your score.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How often can I take the exam?

You must wait at least seven working days between exams. However, there is not limit to the amount of times you can take the exam.

How do I get re-scheduled if I don't pass?

A re-exam application will be mailed to you with the result letter if you didn't pass. It costs $25 each time you re-exam. Complete and return the application with the fee and you will be re-scheduled.

Once I've met the requirements, how long will it take to get the license?

The license is issued and available to be picked up or mailed the next business day.

If I'm just working for myself and do not want to hire employees, do I still have to get a agency license?

Yes. Anyone who works as a private investigator must be licensed either as a private investigative agency principal, or as an investigator licensed under an agency.

How do my employees get licensed?

Once your agency is licensed, you can submit applications for your employees. They are required to complete four hours of pre-assignment training from a licensed certified trainer. The certified trainer provides the training and signs the certification box on the front of the unarmed private investigator application.

How do I become a certified trainer?

Once you are a licensed private investigator and have three years of investigative experience, submit a certified trainer exam application with the $25 exam fee. An exam will be scheduled by the department. A passing score of 90% will qualifiy you to become a licensed certified trainer.

Can I have a certified trainer from another company give my employees the training?

Yes. Provided they are currently employed and hold a valid private investigator certified trainer's license.

STUDY FOR THE EXAM:
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/pi/piexam.html

VERIFY A PI LICENSE:
    https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/dolprod/bpdLicenseQuery/

VERIFY A BUSINESS LICENSE:
    http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusin...ybusiness/brd/
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/pi/

Links Updated 4/1/08

Originally posted by Wayne Phillips
    I am in the middle of this process and I just would like to say that it is easier for you to become your own agency than it is for you to become a PI working for an agency. It justs costs a little more.

Wayne Phillips
    Wayne, please post a reply in this topic as soon as you complete the process you are involved in. We received an internal email from Agent Relations on this matter that looks quite promising for all private investigator trainees in the state of Washington.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Hello Legal Affairs,

Will do. It might take some time though as it costs more than I have to do everything I need. Although it should only cost about
    $550 + whatever it costs for insurance, money got tight after I was laid off.

$400 For the test and armed PI license
    $ 40 For the state UBI License
    $ 50 For the city Business License
    $ 60 For the CCP

As soon as things get better I will advise you on the process.

Wayne Phillips

Re: PI License in WA State

Originally posted by Ty McBride
    Do I need a lisence in WA state?
    Yes, if you are going to advertise.

If not, see the state exemptions at the top of this topic that allow you to work as a private investigator without a license.

Originally posted by Edward Taguba

Wayne,

How is the process coming along with you getting your license and your business license? Hope everything is well with you.

Aloha,
    Agency licenses are now discussed in the member's forum titled Establishing Your Own Private Investigative Agency

Re: availability form,tests

Originally posted by Kim Adair
    Do I need the test scores from IPIU, or would that be a different test from the State of Washington? I am looking at the post here and trying to figure this all out!
    Answer:
    Look at the very top. There are several exemptions that do not require an unarmed private investigator to be licensed in your state. The issue of licensing is if you are going to advertise without a license, not just perform the assignments within the exemptions.

Take the IPIU test from the manual. It will help prepare you for the day you may wish to obtain a license.

Originally posted by Kim Adair
    Also their was a post earlier on this subject here about promising job prospects in this state coming up soon, how does that still look for the state of Washington, ie Tacoma,Seattle etc..?
    After you complete the manual test, you will obtain Level 4 access to those private forums. Read the Union News Forum for more Level Access details.

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum Member

Re: licensing

Originally posted by Deborah Blunck
    I have read all your questions and have some of my own, as I am
    still not sure. The assignments I received include anti-piracy,
    integrity services and one other, would I need a license to perform these? Also I have looked at you job postings and am curious as a private investigator trainee what experience is needed for these openings. All this is new to me and am eager to start and want to get off on the right foot.. Thanks for your help: . confused in Washington

Debbie
    Since you have received referrals for anti-piracy and integrity services, you should visit those specific forums on this board. These assignments are with agencies willing to train, so you do not need a license. You will be working under them. Be sure to read all the information in the Federal Anti-piracy training forum and sign in if you haven't already. I see you have already visited the Integrity forum. You may read about each agency and apply to any or all of them.

The job postings you are referring to must be in the Local & National Agencies Hiring forum. Keep the laws of your state in mind when you read those postings. That will help you spot something that may require a license. Also, watch for time frames to be sure you will be able to complete the assignment in the required time. If you see something of interest, feel free to follow the instructions in the posting.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cool Wasington PI Licensing Armed vs Unarmed

This information is helpful, but in the State of Washington or any other for that matter, what criteria should one use for choosing to be armed or unarmed?

Also if I chose to be unarmed, then decided to change to armed could I do that or need to take a retest?

Additionally does armed refer solely to handguns, or would it also include the stun guns that Law Enforcement is using and or also the ammo that fires a rubber projectile?

While I'm at it what about mace?

So many questions, and perhaps there are other threads that answer this question. This is my first day here and I could use guidance as to what protocol to follow.

I believe that my membership and my licensing are two separate fees, is this correct?

Also what if you want to pursue P.I. work multi-nationally, or even internationally at some point? Is a separate license required for every jurisdiction?

I apologize, as my questions are seemingly endless. Please chart me a course and give me a step by step guide to what information I should focus on first.

Thanks for your support,

Dabra J Grant "DJ"

After checking back here and re-reading the guidelines, I realized that the answer to armed vs. unarmed is answered, I just needed to read it more carefully. One is a pre-requisite to the other.

Calling Washington, State that is.......

The link provided: http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/pifront.htm upon closer inspection today is very valuable indeed Donna. Thank you for providing it. There is information here and links to I.A.S.I.R. and CLEAR which I would never have known about, and are very much part of my ongoing education here at I.P.I.U.

There is so much to learn, and so much to work towards, that although I have been upgraded to level 3, I am still going back through Level 1 access points, to pick up any details I may have overlooked.

My only unfullfilled desire is that I have connected with great people all over the United States through these forums, yet have not yet seen or heard much from my present home state of Washington. Where are you?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dabra J Grant
    The link provided: http://www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/pifront.htm upon closer inspection today is very valuable indeed Donna. Thank you for providing it. There is information here and links to I.A.S.I.R. and CLEAR which I would never have known about, and are very much part of my ongoing education here at I.P.I.U.

There is so much to learn, and so much to work towards, that although I have been upgraded to level 3, I am still going back through Level 1 access points, to pick up any details I may have overlooked.

My only unfullfilled desire is that I have connected with great people all over the United States through these forums, yet have not yet seen or heard much from my present home state of Washington. Where are you?
    Thanks to Donna, Debra, and those who has responded to this thread. It has answered a lot of my questions.
    By the way, my name is Dung T. Nguyen. (my first name pronounce as Yung ) I'm from Washington. If you have a minute, please stop by Forum Member Introduction's Lounge for my introduction.
    I'm fairly new to IPIU family and to the investigative world.
    I just joined IPIU family less than 2 weeks, and have already registered electronically 2 days ago. Currently awaiting for application package. . Needless to say, I'm so excited and can not wait to set my foot into the new exciting career.
    I know I have a lot to learn and will be happy to take any advice, guidance for all of you here in the IPIU family.
    Have a wonderful week, everyone! See you all around.

Best regards,

Dung T. Nguyen
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-17-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Forum Rules

Hey DJ,
    You have touched upon some good points and I have taken them into consideration and it also nice to have this wealth of info right here in this site to draw from. I hope that we can become useful to one another and nurture this great opportunity.

Good Luck, sister!

Thumbs up Washington Answers

Quote Originally Posted by David Ashworth
    Hey DJ,
    You have touched upon some good points and I have taken them into consideration and it also nice to have this wealth of info right here in this site to draw from. I hope that we can become useful to one another and nurture this great opportunity.

Good Luck, sister!

Hi David,

I’ve been a bit out of touch with IPIU, due to lack of internet time and a busy schedule. It is great to hear from fellow Washingtonians as yourself and Dung Ngyuen, because I rarely come across persons who hail from the Evergreen State.

I hope as you said that we can become useful to each other and perhaps network eventually. Although my current financial situation has forced me to put IPIU on the back burner, I am a very determined person who achieves her goals no matter how long it may take, or how many obstacles I may have to overcome.

I believe that the necessity and demand for good Private Investigators will increase as Law Enforcement become more and more unable to handle and process cases with the increased focus on terrorism and all that fighting that battle entails.

With that in mind I personally have devoted much time to personal studies of related subjects such as criminology, and law to give myself an added edge and continue to become more knowledgeable.

Simple activities like using the who, what, when, where, how and why in make believe scenarios and practicing these investigative processes in my daily routine are all good practice for me. I also make it a point to notice everything and pick potential suspects, then practice my recall skills by giving a solid description of a person after the fact.

Being in retail and employed as a cashier I have many opportunities to practice on my customers, and by doing these exercises regularly I have noticed a definite increase in my perceptual capabilities.

Additionally I have learned many different aspects of loss prevention, and am assimilating a variety of other techniques that should prove useful. I owe much of this to IPIU, as my affiliation with this organization has enabled me to focus my energies towards the goal of attaining a Private Investigators license in the future, while gleaning my abilities towards this end now.

All in all it has been well worth the $120.00 I paid for my Association Membership. Unfortunately I have no way to raise the other $$$ required for the CWR at this time, so it has brought me to a standstill.

Eventually it will all sort itself out, but I do not regret my involvement here at IPIU because it was the catalyst I needed and the starting point for me begin. As always I put all thing in the hands of my higher power, and I do not doubt that all things are in their time and season as they need to be, even though at times I think otherwise because I fool myself into believing that I am actually in charge of something or that I want to be in charge of something.

I’ll leave you with that thought and until we meet again, I wish you the very best with your new endeavors with IPIU. I look forward to “seeing” you around!

Best regards,
    DJ
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

Thank You!

More pearls of encouragement! Thanks for the points and kind words, they have been heeded well.

See you in the forums~

I am also from Washington and now have sent in most of my paperwork. I am just awaiting the arrival of my photo credentials and test and then I will be on my way. I just wish we could get some heads up as far as the employment out look in the Washington area. For me specifically King and Pierce counties are what I am looking into. I just want to make sure that I am going to be receiving ample case load. If anyone in the know (moderators, administrators) could possibly leak that info my way? It would be extremely helpful to me as I am considering taking contract work which I would not be able to back out of if work gets busy on the PI side. Thanks to all.

Dave Swift

Hi DJ!

Another Wahingtonian here. I just found the IPIU two weeks ago, today!

I seem to learn a lot every day. If you ever get stuck on anything, someone's
    always there to help. I, too believe everything happens for a reason. I know you'll do great in your PI career.

Good things come to those who wait...

See you in the forums!
    Cleo

This Washington Forum has been VERY helpful for me. I'm in Tacoma. THanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Dabra J Grant

Hi Dabra,
    We are here. My name is Cathy and I am very new to this as well. As you continue to read, you will find lots of new trainees here in Washington!! Good luck to you and hope to talk with you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Nguyen
    Thanks to Donna, Debra, and those who has responded to this thread. It has answered a lot of my questions.
    By the way, my name is Dung T. Nguyen. (my first name pronounce as Yung ) I'm from Washington. If you have a minute, please stop by Forum Member Introduction's Lounge for my introduction.
    I'm fairly new to IPIU family and to the investigative world.
    I just joined IPIU family less than 2 weeks, and have already registered electronically 2 days ago. Currently awaiting for application package. . Needless to say, I'm so excited and can not wait to set my foot into the new exciting career.
    I know I have a lot to learn and will be happy to take any advice, guidance for all of you here in the IPIU family.
    Have a wonderful week, everyone! See you all around.

Best regards,

Dung T. Nguyen
    Welcome Dung! I am here in. Best of luck to you. I am sure you will do great!
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-17-2008 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Forum Rules

Red face

Hello Dung,
    Looks like I'm in! (smile) Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-17-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Forum Rules

Hi - I'm curious if I begin this process in Maryland, and move to Washington within the next few months...are there any state-related issues I should consider regarding licensing? I see a $25 transfer fee, but if I am not yet licensed, do I have to repeat a bunch of work or tests?

Thanks! K
    Last edited by Jim Harrington; 04-18-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K Morse
    Hi - I'm curious if I begin this process in Maryland, and move to Washington within the next few months...are there any state-related issues I should consider regarding licensing? I see a $25 transfer fee, but if I am not yet licensed, do I have to repeat a bunch of work or tests?

Thanks! K
    Hi K,
    So far from what I have been reading the $25.00 transfer fee is the only thing once you decide to come to washington. If I am incorrect, please forgive and hopefully some one else in the forum may have additional information.
    Last edited by Jim Harrington; 04-18-2007 at 09:47 PM.

A new member

I am very happy I found this thread. It is encouraging that there are so many IPIU members in Washington State. Everyone can benefit from their knowledge. I am from Seattle, and I hope once I become an experienced PI, I also will contribute to help new members. Thank you for sharing. My only question is if there is enough work to get a job once I pass the membership test.
    Irena Zeithamel

Fantastic reference.

Hi Washingtonians;

I have been here a few months, (I am in the Northern part of the State) surfing the MANY great forums. I was glad to be directed to this one. How is everything with all of you? Things are progessing nicely, I hope?

As of right now, I am ansy to finish my test and get level 4 access. I am really looking forward to receiving (applying for) work, and begin some on the job training. Anyone at this stage? Any hints or insightful wisdom about your transformation?

Have a great November. Deborah

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Bogard-Wynn
    Hi Washingtonians;
    As of right now, I am ansy to finish my test and get level 4 access. I am really looking forward to receiving (applying for) work, and begin some on the job training. Anyone at this stage? Any hints or insightful wisdom about your transformation?

Have a great November. Deborah
    Hi, Deborah!

Wet Night!!

It looks like we signed up about the same time! Have you gotten your manual and test yet? First I recieved my COE, fingerprint card and photo packet. Next, I got my job profile and ID card. With that, I got an order form for my badge. I sent the profile and order form in Sept. 15th. Now I'm waiting for my manual and test. Long, long wait! I just keep telling myself...any day now!

Nice to finally talk to another member from WA! I live in the Puget Sound area.

There are several titles

I use locating and recovery-The only thing required is a business license.I still do all the other fun stuff too! Total with gun permit if you wish is about $80.00

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stillwell
    I use locating and recovery-The only thing required is a business license.I still do all the other fun stuff too! Total with gun permit if you wish is about $80.00
    Hi, Steve!

You mean $80.00 for the business license AND gun permit?

Washingtonians all wet........

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo Evans
    Hi, Deborah!

Wet Night!!

It looks like we signed up about the same time! Have you gotten your manual and test yet? First I recieved my COE, fingerprint card and photo packet. Next, I got my job profile and ID card. With that, I got an order form for my badge. I sent the profile and order form in Sept. 15th. Now I'm waiting for my manual and test. Long, long wait! I just keep telling myself...any day now!

Nice to finally talk to another member from WA! I live in the Puget Sound area.
    Hello Cleo,

I took my test a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure IPIU has received it by now. However, the steps in which our paper work goes through is unbenounced to me, so I may not know the results for a few more weeks. I am so excited to begin some on the job training. I read the manual a few times, and still visited the forums before filling out the test. I actually did it in pencil, then double checked myself, so as to catch any mistakes. Hopefully it will pay off. I read where so many have not passed certain sections. But I do believe you are allowed to retake the sections you do not pass.

You know in regards to our weather, usually it does not bother me, our less than functional winters, but I am SO FRUSTRATED with my employment right now, all I can think about is moving on and upward with my training. Which inturn makes me hate our weather a little more. I want spring to get here all ready. LOL how sad is that?

Chat with you soon, up date me on your progress okay? Deborah

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Bogard-Wynn
    Hello Cleo,

I took my test a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure IPIU has received it by now. However, the steps in which our paper work goes through is unbenounced to me, so I may not know the results for a few more weeks. I am so excited to begin some on the job training. I read the manual a few times, and still visited the forums before filling out the test. I actually did it in pencil, then double checked myself, so as to catch any mistakes. Hopefully it will pay off. I read where so many have not passed certain sections. But I do believe you are allowed to retake the sections you do not pass.
    So glad to hear you got your manual and test! I've heard that if you e-mail your test in....you get Level 4 access almost immediately! You'll probably be hearing your results any day now. Me?........Still waiting!

You know in regards to our weather, usually it does not bother me, our less than functional winters, but I am SO FRUSTRATED with my employment right now, all I can think about is moving on and upward with my training. Which inturn makes me hate our weather a little more. I want spring to get here all ready. LOL how sad is that?

Chat with you soon, up date me on your progress okay? Deborah
    I'm with you! Spring couldn't come too soon! In my case the frustration is LACK OF EMPLOYMENT!

Good luck on your test! Keep me *posted*!! Have a great week-end!

Cleo

Just as a suggestion for those seek licensure as a PI in Washington. Once you get eberything together and ready to submit, go to the State Patrol and have your fingerprints scanned. It costs $50 (ouch), but the department of licensing gets the results in five to seven days.

The department tends to shred fingerprint cards. A month after you submit them they send you a letter asking for more fingerprint cards. They cost $10 each. By this time you are up to $40. They then mail them to the FBI. Regular mail. It takes THREE MONTHS.

If you do the scan you'll get your license in about 10 days.

Hello Henri,

I am in. I have a question that you might be able to answer. Why would Washington DOL need fingerprint cards if your fingerprints are already on file with the FBI, and or the US Army? Redtape, and another way to gain taxpayer money I am sure...LOL!

Larry
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-17-2008 at 05:39 AM.

Hi Larry'

Good point. The State has so many copies of my paws they must use them for furniture. I have been fingerprinted twice for PI, For Commercial drivers license, three gambling licenses, liquor license, and real estate brokers license.

The State government has gone absolutely crazy. They now license hundreds of "professions".

It now takes TWO licenses to wait tables or serve drinks. To work in a casino for minium wage it costs $350 for the license.

My Real estate brokers license cost $650. My PI license costs almost $3,000 when you include annual training and insurance.

Remember the stories about prohabition in the 30's? The gangsters?

They sold booze, ran numbers, had protection rackets, etc. The gangsters are just about gone. The government not does the same things! rotflmao

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by Henri-Pierre Stephenson
    My Real estate brokers license cost $650. My PI license costs almost $3,000 when you include annual training and insurance.

Pierre,

Unfortunately, like many forms of government, Washington state doesn't handle money very well. Why else would they keep raising our taxes, and raising the price of permits to such outrageous extremes. I do a little ranching here in, which often includes "land clearing" on a very small scale. A few years ago a "burn permit" was $25 for a year, now I think it is up to $100 a month. Doesn't make sense.

Sorry to get off topic, but you say you pay nearly $3000 a year just for your PI licenses? Please educate me. I figured the insurance would run about $600 a year. Please clarify the annual training?

I am not licensed yet, only because I am torn between really wanting to be a Bail Recovery Agent, verses being a PI. After many years of amateur genealogical research I am OK at tracing missing persons. I've been able to find a few, and a lot of what I have read I already knew. That's not to say I'm not furthering my education. The options on the Internet seem endless.

All the best!

Larry
    Last edited by Robert Munson; 05-17-2008 at 05:39 AM.

OK,

The insurance was $997. The license fee was $650. Fingerprints were $90. Training was $75. Add travel and motel to attend $100. Corporation was $300. Seven trips to olympia? $200. Annual report $60. Business license $30. Ammo and targets $40. Criminal Justice Training Commission $60. We are at about $2,540. How about mailing, copies, etc.

Wow, that is spendy! All I can say is there is a bit of safety in being a corporation over being limited liability as I understand the differances. That cost you an extra $300 plus I am sure it raised the insurance.

You will be hearing from me via email.

Larry

Spendy

Ye, it is expensive. If you work through the Union or mystery shoppers you don"t need a license.

Another thought. You can get a license easily by going to work for an agency. I think all you need is 3 hours of instruction. Forget firearms training for this kind of work. You can't take a gun into a bar. The only time a gun is a good idea is when your life has been specifically threatened. You can't shoot someone that is going to beat you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Henri-Pierre Stephenson
    The only time a gun is a good idea is when your life has been specifically threatened. You can't shoot someone that is going to beat you up.
    Very good point, Pierre! Hopefully, none of us will ever be put into that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Legal Affairs
    Wayne, please post a reply in this topic as soon as you complete the process you are involved in. We received an internal email from Agent Relations on this matter that looks quite promising for all private investigator trainees in the state of Washington.
    What is quite promising for investigators in WA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast