Thread: Four Bounty Hunters break into the wrong house & hold young mother & small children at gunpoint?

Richard Maxwell is offline *** Certified

Licensed Private Investigative Agency
    Private Investigator Forums
    Did any of the participants on the Alabama Bounty Hunter forum hear the latest news from Mobile county. It seems that four bounty hunters broke into the wrong house and held a young mother and her two small children at gunpoint.

I learned at last night, that at least two of the bounty hunters have felony arrest records and more charges pending that are unrelated to the break-in.

I know Alabama gives wide latitude to bounty hunters but shouldn't the agency or jurisdiction check these guys out and ensure that they don't have felons running around with guns(a federal crime)?
    R.E. "MAX" MAXWELL (Badge# 10022)
    Licensed Private Investigative Agency (AL #1405)

Bay Acquisitions, Inc
    Spanish Fort, Alabama, USA

Absolutely, the Alabama jurisdiction should definitely check out who they hire for any
    Law Enforcement job. Not only did two of them have undesirable backgrounds in which they shouldn't have been employed in the first place, none of them were trained. I feel
    sorry for that family. Imagine the mental anguish they felt and they will need emotional and spiritual counseling. Maybe this will be a lesson for this state and other states in hiring anybody to do a job that require to reinforce safety and security to all citizens. Public trust must be implemented at all times.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Good point, Max... One would think, they do. But again, it depends on the state...

Any more update on this story? Is there any standard procedure for checking on bounty hunters? Is every state different? Thank you for any information.

I hope I dont get in trouble for this
    but I found this for you

Quote Originally Posted by Technical Support
    Note to Bounty Hunter Trainees:
    Trainees may wish to click here:
    Bounty Hunter Advanced Training: Book-Video Library Link

For all union members who are Level 4, you have the same access to the Bounty Hunters Forum.

Note to Guests:
    If you are a licensed or experienced Bounty Hunter and wish access to the Bounty Hunters Forum, send an email to bounty@ipiu.org to apply.

For all others who have not posted their introduction, and wish more information on this website, please click on the following Newcomers Topic and follow the instructions:

Click here:
    Newcomer? Do this FIRST!
    I DO believe laws vary from State to State as they do for almost every License/Law Enforcement/Related Job Field

Richard Maxwell is offline *** Certified

Licensed Private Investigative Agency
    Private Investigator Forums
    They've been tried in state court for the breaking and entering, assault and false imprisonment. They were convicted on all charges. I'm not sure the status of the federal firearms charges since two of three were felons in possession of firearms.

I'll update the thread as soon as I hear an update.
    R.E. "MAX" MAXWELL (Badge# 10022)
    Licensed Private Investigative Agency (AL #1405)

Bay Acquisitions, Inc
    Spanish Fort, Alabama, USA

Steve Degon is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Member
    The art of becoming a Fugitive Recovery Agent is something you can not learn from a book.

I've been in the business for years now. One of the most problems is that the young and eager Fugitive Recovery Agents have is they don't have the proper training. Dog Chapman is not a great example of that. This business is that one needs to work with a Agent who now the laws of the state they reside in and the proper procedures of hunting and apprehension.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Degon
    The art of becoming a Fugitive Recovery Agent is something you can not learn from a book.

I've been in the business for years now. One of the most problems is that the young and eager Fugitive Recovery Agents have is they don't have the proper training. Dog Chapman is not a great example of that. This business is that one needs to work with a Agent who now the laws of the state they reside in and the proper procedures of hunting and apprehension.
    Good comment, Steve.

By the way, I posted an important note for you in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...062#post249062

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! This is a scary situation. Alabama needs to do something to insure something like this doesn't happen again. And other states needs to make sure that this doesn't happen at all. WOW!!!!!!! This is just amazing. THanks for posting it. Have a nice weekend

It is amazing that these some states have these types of inadequacies but in florida you can't even do privatize bounty hunting

Former Protective Services Agent - US Army
    International Private Investigator

Executive Agency Owner Member - IPIU
    Didn't a similar incident happen in Arizona or New Mexico a few years back, which ended in homicide, becaude the bounty hunters raided the wrong house?

Question Homework

First of all, didn't these bounty hunters do their homework? If they did, they wouldn't have done such a thing. And to hold hostages? That's terrorism and in today's society, terrorism can get you the death penalty if you've got a good lawyer against you.

State lisencing laws should do a more extensive check, do the piggy-back system like in retail to follow these prospective business associates of theirs to see if they are loose canons or not.

Give them a year's probation at their job after they are hired so they can evaluate them on a job-to-job basis and make the ultimate decision to say "yay" or "nay" to their gun-slinging new compadres.

Best
    KD