Thread: Colorado vs Florida?

Colorado vs Florida?

I can summarize a lengthily question into this: If I am licensed in Colorado as a Private Investigator what advantage/benefit does that get me when applying for my Florida license?

Hi Brian;

Let me preface my remarks by stating I am not a lawyer, but in response to your question:

I read up on the licensing laws in CO. Since there are currently no requirements to becoming a "licensed" PI in Colorado, I would think that there would be no advantage in being licensed in CO when you apply for a Florida license. Common sense tells me everyone would become licensed in Colorado and then apply for a Florida, New York, etc. license in order to skirt the requirements (onerous as they are) in the regulated states.

I hope someone from Legal Affairs responds to your question, and can either confirm or deny my response. Good luck!

Fred

Re: Colorado vs Florida?

Originally posted by Brian Walsh
    I can summarize a lengthily question into this: If I am licensed in Colorado as a Private Investigator what advantage/benefit does that get me when applying for my Florida license?
    1) Out of state private investigators without a PI License in their home state (such as Florida) can establish a PI Agency Corporation license in Colorado, name their agency as a PI Agency, set up a professional web site for as a "national agency headquartered in Colorado", with a $99/year shared PI office for telephone, receptionist, secretary number, office and be in business in a week.

They can advertise nationwide as a Colorado agency on any type of investigation using the technology of web, internet, fax, email and phone. As such, the owner can be living in Florida and managing his/her business through the PI Colorado agency. They can personally perform any unregulated portions of any cases, and they can obtain licensed private investigators in Florida for any of the regulated portions of a case (such as surveillance) and pay the sub-contractor a reduced wholesale amount while earning the majority of the Colorado retainer from the client.

2) Once your Colorado Agency is fully operational, then you can obtain a state issued license in another state using the payroll records of your Colorado agency for proof of experience earned. But you need to have a verifiable record of experience first. Many newcomers are discouraged from applying for a state license because no one will hire them. But setting up your own agency permits you to hire yourself through the state payroll system as evidence of experience earned. IPIU offers a program to walk you through the legal steps in order to lawfully progress to a license in your home state. IPIU also offers a sponsor program in states (such as Florida) where you can set up your own agency and have a licensed private investigator sponsor you by becoming a qualified manager.

3) Once you obtain another state license, many states allow an out-of-state investigator to continue their out-of-state investigation into their state for 30 days without having to become licensed in that state. This is known as "reciprocity" where if you have a Florida license - you can perform cases in California, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia. It is the same principle as using your Florida drivers license to drive in other states without having to apply for another state drivers license. (Check with the Reciprocity Topic in this forum for further details).

4) Most states will recognize experience earned in other states to qualify for their license. It starts with establishing your national agency in Colorado through IPIU in order to provide the lawful experience.

5) If you wish to do both states, we suggest using the IPIU sponsor benefit of setting up your own licensed agency in Florida without any prior experience. Preapproval averages 5-6 weeks, and then the standard waiting time for the state to review the documents and mail you your license. As an owner, IPIU will help arrange for interested licensed private investigators to sign onto your agency application in order to qualify your agency license. Details are available in the private member's forums.
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

I'm pleased that someone had a better answer to this question than I.

Fred

Thank your for the response... that is just what I was thinking... best wishes.

Thanks for the great information. This will definately help.