Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Florida Laws

This was some wonderful information thank you very much. To add my 2 cents if you have a "G" license you need to have the weapon in plain site. with the "G" license you also need a consealed weapons permit to be able to hide the gun from view.

excellent! i turned dwn a case in missouri because i was not licensed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael J Ramos
    This was some wonderful information thank you very much. To add my 2 cents if you have a "G" license you need to have the weapon in plain site. with the "G" license you also need a consealed weapons permit to be able to hide the gun from view.
    Concealed weapons permit and the Florida "G" license are completly different and have nothing to do with each other.

A florida concealed weapons permit is a citizen's permit anyone that doesn't have any disqualifying circumstances (criminal record, mental record ect.) can recieve a permit, this permit is for personal use DO NOT confuse this permit with "work".

A class "G" license is needed when a class "B" security guard or class "C" or "CC" (intern) Private Investigator is required or given permission by their employer to carry a firearm "for their duties", a "B" licensed security guard must be for the "majority" of their duties to carry open with uniform and only for a limited time (case history of 3 days) plain clothed with firearm concealed under the class "G" firearms license.

Class "C" or "CC" PI may carry concealed in plain clothes i.e. private/executive security or for just general PI work as long as the employing agency for it needs to sign off on the class "G" license app of the PI.

The tricky part in Florida is for a class "C" "CC" licensed PI to work security armed or not you must be employed by a class "B" licensed agency (security agency). So if your looking to do both conventional PI work (missing persons, surveilence) and private security you must be employed by an agency that has both a class "A" and "B" license.

But I'm pretty sure a class "A" agency (PI agency not doing any security) may sign off on your "G" license app, please someone correct me if I'm wrong cause when it comes to Florida firearms laws (although I am proud to say we are one of the most gun rights friendly state) we DO NOT want to make a mistake especially when it comes to firearms licensing, it's a third degree felony in some instances.

SR

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Smile Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know per say but we need to make sure we don't go with our posts.
    Our PI Laws for Florida are here.
    PI LICENSING: Florida
    Although the preceding posts may not be it will begin to have affect if we are looking for information.
    This is just an additional post in assisting. Thanks.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Coleman
    Here is something else I found on those exempt from having a license

Exemptions
    Those who are considered exempt from licensing include:
    "In-house" investigators who are solely, exclusively, and regularly employed as an investigator in connection with the business of an employer that does not advertise or provide investigative services for a fee
    Active law enforcement officers while engaged in his or her official duties
    Insurance investigators or adjusters licensed by the Florida Department of Insurance
    Those who exclusively furnish investigative information about the financial standing, habits, and responsibilities of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds or commercial credit
    Attorneys in the regular practice of their profession
    Banks, credit unions, loan companies, and consumer credit reporting agencies
    Persons holding professional licenses in Florida when providing expert advice in their professions
    Those providing investigative services solely and exclusively for any United States agency
    Great Info..Thanks for taking the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Briggs
    Great Info..Thanks for taking the time!
    Thanks for the info!

Re: Florida Laws

I hope someone can help me with a question I have.
    I am an intern, so I understand this is a "CC" licence.
    Do I have to get this license on my own, or does the sponsor angency take care of this.
    Can some one direct me to the proper forum to fill out my "CC" license application.
    Thank You in Advance,
    Michael J Peterson
    Respectfully,

Michael J Peterson
    SnipingEyes

Levin Melvin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

2008 to 2009 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Florida law for PI license will chance Jan 08. Call the license department where you live at they should send you new law starting in Jan 08.

Special Investigator
    US Investigations Services

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union

I live in florida and carrying a PI badge is great but only use it WHEN YOU NEED TO. otherwise, why flash a badge and make people leary of who you are? It's always good to carry ID but you don't necessarily need to show the badge at every turn. With that said, I would not do any assignment without having an IPIU Badge, just in case....

Raymond Griffin - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 - 2009 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I was just informed by the Department of Agriculture that a new Florida law states you have to take a class in order to obtain your cc license and so far there are no classes available to anyone.
    They said that as far as they know (and it could change at anytime) the nearest available class will open up in about 6 months from now and is located in south Florida.

I have no idea why the law would be enforced without any classes being ready.

Special Investigator

Member of:

Robert,
    I am a PI for a govt agency and we have badges but believe it or not, I find that I get a lot more out of joe off the street if I don't have a badge. Now when I go into a business requesting information and they want to balk at me, that's when I flip out my badge and make my request a little more urgent. So unless you have something or someone to back that badge up, it's best not to be so quick to use it. Hope this helps. It's all a matter of judgement, discretion. Good Luck

Special Investigator

Member of:

Florida now requires an exam before you can have a PI license. Go to http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/inv...ons/index.html and search the database for PI license requirements. Good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2