Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CSI Miami Episode gave bad impressions for PI's

Steve Degon is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Private Investigator Member
    My personal opinion is that most law enforcement agencies don't like PI's, for the statue that we provide. Every law enforcement agency feels that we are trying to do their job. Instead of working with us they work against us this creates tension. Most PI's are at most better investigators that law enforcement, because we care "no politic's". We are just as professional as any law enforcement detectives and they fill threatened. Don't get me wrong we are not tied by politics but we are tied by law enforcement themselves. I am working on a murder case that is 25 years old and the family hired me to get results and signed release forms and they still will not give me the case information. I am having to go to a judge to get it released. Even with authorization from the family, the police is still giving me trouble. Cover up maybe or just bad results and hiding it, don't know. Until we start working together we will not be able to really help the general public with problems.
    STEVE DEGON
    Private Investigator (Idaho)
    Idaho Bureau of Investigations
    International Fugitve Recovery Task Force

August Layne is offline Private Investigator

Agency Owner Member:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Dear Steve: I agree with you 100%. I have worked on several cases and I have found the same thing happening. They will take all the information that you have and not give you anything in return. They tell me that we can go places that they can not. Yet try to get them to help us. I also feel if they would work with us, that maybe more cases could be solved and arrest could be make. There is another PI that I visit with a lot and he has on one of his brochures "There Is No Degree of Honesty." I also found that the news brought this out. If our police officers were honest and have integrity like they use to have, we would have a fine working group.
    This PI's message of honesty, really hit the nail on the head. You are either honest or not at all. Politics should have not play in solving cases. Weather old or young. Get the case solved. August Layne Investigations

August Layne is offline Private Investigator

Agency Owner Member:

PI Shows

Hello to all. I have found that TV shows are TV shows. They do not do the PI a bit of good. Yes they can solve crime. But they do not give the reallity of the true meaning of a good PI. They are not rich, good looking, or drive fancy sports cars. PI's work hard, lots of foot work, research, talking to people. Gathering evidence is not just flirtling with the ladies or gentlemen, but hours of work. It is checking every bit of information that you get, varifing everthing that you find. Interviews and even Interigations. Night work of surveillance. This is just to mention a few things. We can get into place were a police officer cannot. We can become things that police officers cannot. And not blow our cover. There is so much that a PI can and do and will do to get the facts. TV does not show the real hard working, professional PI that is out there doing a good job with lots of hard work and training behind him.

August Layne Investigations

PI on TV

Ah, folks -- here's the difference. Check out BOOKS! My FAVORITE characters are V.I. Warshawski (author Sara Paretsky), Kinsey Millhone (by Sue Grafton), and of course, the old Mike Hammer series of PI, not all media portrayals are bad. And frankly, there probably ARE a lot of sleazy, ex-cop run-downs out there (or used to be in the bad old 60's and 70's)...

my point is, anything can be made out to be anything via TV and movies that have nothing to do with real life. Take the new tV series, "Over There." This series is probably a government paid commercial for the recruiting that they are so unsuccessful right now. Who wants to go to fight a war when we now know we were LIED to about why?? So, they'll use propaganda to heroize everything. Might want to check out what the European mass media is saying. Sounds nothing like our own, republican-owned press that just wants to keep everyone so pre-occupied with fear or materialism that they don't pay attention to the raping of the American public.

well, cheers, folks. I'm off to study my book.

Re: CSI Miami Episode gave bad impressions for PI's

I know the episode you’re talking about and that is not the only way they look at private Investigators’. Yelina the wife of Horatio Caine's brother is a private investigator and she shows a very good light on what we do. In fact the case with the bad pi is not as far fetched as you think. Their are many bad private investigators’ who have done that sort of thing and worse. Yes it’s a bad light on us but it is also a very unfortunate truth as to the light and dark sides of our work. There is a fine line between good and bad, that without do diligence we can cross easily. Not every person that goes into this field of work for the right reasons.

Raymond Griffin - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 - 2009 Member of:

I was watching House last night and seen a preview for next weeks episode. House hires a PI and it depicts him of being some young, sloppy dressed moron so to speak and I (humored) immediately thought of this thread. But it was just a preview, maybe they will show the "PI" to be solid and competent. Has anyone else seen this?

Lynn E Payne is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:

Hi all. I love all of the CSI shows and watch them faithfully.( my husband records them for me ). But in all of the replies that I have read on this topic, I am really surprised that no one has mentioned Columbo. Now that was a PI. He always amazed me at the clues he could come up with. I have always watched shows on Private Investigators. But now I'm here, and it's time for me to learn as much as I can.

Have a wonderful day!!

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:

Lynn,

Columbo was a police lieutenant.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Quote Originally Posted by Leeayn Chapman View Post
    Rockford & Magnum! How come I never got to work with guys that looked like that??!! Brian, you're so right about Rockford - how did he afford that on PI work that he never got paid for? Ah, maybe clean living? Oh well.
    Rockford lived and worked out a trailer that was parked at a restaraunt parking lot.

Raymond Griffin - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 - 2009 Member of:

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Griffin View Post
    I was watching House last night and seen a preview for next weeks episode. House hires a PI and it depicts him of being some young, sloppy dressed moron so to speak and I (humored) immediately thought of this thread. But it was just a preview, maybe they will show the "PI" to be solid and competent. Has anyone else seen this?
    So House is back on and has been showing the PI that was in question and hes been on every episode now. He turned out to be a stand up guy and actually makes the show even better to watch lol. If anyone else watches this show feel free to comment, I however love the show so I'm happy that they added him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2