Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CSI Miami Episode gave bad impressions for PI's

Unhappy Bad Impressions for PI's

I was watching a tv show last night and as usual, they portrayed the Private Investigator hired as a real skum bag that had no morals at all.

Why do most of the entertainment people that create the shows always do this? They show a sleazy dressed guy or women in a rundown old office that always tries to pull something over on somebody.

The one last night was CSI Miami. I've seen many though.

This does not help our profession at all and has been going on for many years. I can imagine what the general public think of us.

Yes, I know there are bad apples in all professions but they seem to pick this one out in particular.

Sorry for going on. Just had to get this out of my system.

Cool Impressions....

Jean:

This is just my own idea/opinion. But I think the entertainment industry is to be blamed for many professions appearing to be different than they truly are. Do you think that the medical field is as glamorous as it is depicted on the soaps and ER? People tend to get well really fast. Oh, those love affairs....everything is sooo unreal.

There is an air of mystique that surrounds those in the PI arena, IMHO. That mystique is necessary. Its not good for the world to always know what we are up to. But the entertainment industry loves to eat that right up.

Unfortunately, I missed CSI last night. But we see this in a LOT of programs. Remember the intrigue from the old Untouchables? Maybe you are too young for that.

Not to get too preachy here, but I go to a conservative fundamental church. If you want to talk stereotypes, I fall into that bag real quickly. Many of the high profile "fallen" preachers are of the same denomination as I. But you know something? I know exactly who I am and what I stand for. Those people are just going to have to get to know me and my life will speak for me.

I feel that way about being an investigator. The best retaliation is to be who we are and be the best that we can be!

Mary, stepping off her soapbox now

Smile Very good Mary

I agree with you. Your opinion is very welcome.

The entire entertainment world would be a bunch of nothingness without the bad guys I guess. They do make everything way more than what it is in reality. I realize they must do this or it would be very boring for most people. I just don't care for how they make a ton of officers out to be the bad guys and the PI as skumbuckets.

But, I guess they have their rights to air whatever they feel is good for them.

Thanks again for your reply and you may stay on your soapbox if you want......... ha ha

Have a great Sunday.

Have you ever watched Monk?

I guess Hollywood isn't all that hard on PI's, because the police are always made to look bad somehow on Monk. They always either wind up going to him or their aplogizing to him for not believing his theory. The police aren't made to look bad in a "dirty cop" way, but in a sense that they don't know everything and need help themselves sometimes. It's a good show if you've never seen it. I believe it either comes on the USA channel or TNT.
    Thomas M. Simpson, Jr.

Re: Have you ever watched Monk?

Originally posted by Thomas Simpson
    I guess Hollywood isn't all that hard on PI's, because the police are always made to look bad somehow on Monk. They always either wind up going to him or their aplogizing to him for not believing his theory. The police aren't made to look bad in a "dirty cop" way, but in a sense that they don't know everything and need help themselves sometimes. It's a good show if you've never seen it. I believe it either comes on the USA channel or TNT.
    I've never seen that show Thomas. I will have to watch it. I'm not saying they 'always' do it, but most of the time.

One that I always liked was Magnum PI. That was a good show with humor and seriousness.

Talking G. Jean Davis

It's funny, no hilarious that you mentioned Magnum All of my friends at work are calling me that ever since I told them I was planning on becoming a PI. They say it jokingly, but they mean well. That's because I've snuck on them a few times or told them things that only upper management had knowledge of.
    Thomas M. Simpson, Jr.

Talking That is funny

Well at least you couldn't be called anything better. That was a good show and he always solved his cases.
    Jean Davis

Badge #6815

Let the one you love choose their own path and it will always lead back to you.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Jean,

Your heading should have indicated that it was CSI Miami, not the real CSI set in Las Vegas.

While both shows have occasional lapses, the episode you are talking about was terrible. The PI firm could never exist in real life. Why would a wife go to a PI to have her husband followed, if the firm was really a high-priced prostitution ring. The wife pays the the husband gets the services of the "operative".

The premise was dumb and gave PI firms a black eye.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Thumbs up I agree Michael

Yes, it was CSI Miami. Sorry, I thought I put that in there. I've seen many of them just like it though. They all make PI's look like really sleazy people.

Thanks for your input.

B Ann Craig - is offline Administrative Forum Trainer

Sr. Certified Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

Re: I agree Michael

Originally posted by G. Jean Davis
    Yes, it was CSI Miami. Sorry, I thought I put that in there. I've seen many of them just like it though. They all make PI's look like really sleazy people.

Thanks for your input.
    Jean, I edited in the word Miami into your title of the topic for you.

Have a wonderful week. Take care.
    Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves;
    We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture...be thankful unto him, and bless his name. Ps 100

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Smile CSI Miami Episode= bad impressions for PI's........

Good point brought up here! The entertainment industry does have a way with making PI's look bad. The general public must realize that its just entertainment although it may portray some actual real life experiences. Not all PI's fit into this BAD realm of TV shows. Look at Magnum PI and Columbo each had their own good and bad moments as we all do, and that goes with the territory.....If you or I fall into the "bad" portrayal its because we presented ourselves that way to our clients. Thus, to keep our image clean and wholesome personal hygiene is always good practice when meeting clients. Enough said..........

I agree with the opinions here, and I knew someone would bring up Magnum PI. That was a great show and he was always protrayed in a positive light. As was Mike Hammer if any of you out there remember that show. I do agree though that it seems that PI's are portrayed somewhat negatively more often than not. It gives the profession a bad rap and I am proud that I am starting this profession. It seems very noble to me.

Hey - that show is not all that great for real CSI either!!! I can't even bear to watch 10 minutes of it. For Pete's sake - if I had gone into a scene dressed in a suit w/skirt and heels, I'd have been laughed right out of the scene! Wish they'd quit showing that kind of dress and quit having them do everything from fingerprinting to homicide investigations. There - I'll get off my soapbox now! LOL

Let's not forget Rockford... the only PI that could own his own firm, live on the beach and somehow never gets paid for the work after solving the case!

CSI Miami

Sounds like CSI Miami isn't a very popular show. I rarely get to sit down and actually watch an entire program of any kind, but from the little I have seen of this program, it certainly won't become one of my favorites !!

Sandra

I like both CSI and CSI Miami. I know some of the stuff they do is pretty unrealistic, such as what they are wearing. (As Leeayn mentioned). But we do have to remember, it is Hollywood, and no one would watch if it was portrayed in reality. I see them as entertainment, and while the PROCESS of finding out who is responsible for the crimes committed on the show is the most interesting aspect, it is important to remember that because it is televisions, some things are going to be embellished and unrealistically portrayed.

It's always nice to report to work dressed so well (chuckle,chuckle). Just remember, "it's just a show."

They've got to get ratings somehow...might as well look nice while getting good ratings.

Rockford & Magnum! How come I never got to work with guys that looked like that??!! Brian, you're so right about Rockford - how did he afford that on PI work that he never got paid for? Ah, maybe clean living? Oh well.

Jean..

Hello there. I did not see the one you are talking about, but it must have been a bad one.

As for the dress code of a CSI, I must agree with Leeayn, if they come to the scene dress the way they do on TV, we (the cops) would ask them if they just came from a dinner date or church.

There is so much going on at a crime scene you tend to get dirty as you check for all the evidences. That means you have to get down on your hands and knees at times, and go thru the woods, as we do up here in the boondocks.

Well enough of that, have a great PI day.
    Bill Van Meter
    Badge # 10038

Reality vs TV

As a licensed investigator specializing in Computer Forensics and Electronic Evidence, I've battled this constantly. The link below is a link to an article I wrote for the local business journal addressing this very thing:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/s...08/focus7.html

I recently graduated with my B.S in Forensic Science and am going to graduate with my MFS in Forensic Science in July. I mentor the up-and-coming forensic scientists in the field, all of which want to go into forensics because they want to be on t.v. Most have never seen an autopsy, seen a charred body, or smelled decomp. I send all of them to the rotten.com website and see if they can handle it. most of them come back wishing they had never thought about going into the field.
    I honestly think that its great that they want to go into the field (CSI bringing them in) but I wish that they would portray it more closely to reality. These newcomers think that life resembles t.v. but in all reality it doesn't. The labs are not how they seem on t.v and anyone wearing what is worn on CSI would be fired immediately. I just hope that hollywood can begin to catch up....

Would really like to discuss forensics with you sometime. I am looking for a job right now and needing some help. please email me if you can help. my email is stacey4n6@aol.com.

Cool Yes i would.

Forensi is on of meany topis covered in my traing assingments at my college. People think that PI have know undestanding of forensic work.

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Leeayn,

I agree with your assessment of CSI: Miami.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Hi, Stacey

You are right, most people don't realize what it is really like to deal with death, etc.. As a Paramedic, I've seen, smelled, and dealt with a lot. Working with the Med. Examiner for my autopsy rotations was a real eye opener. Too bad that the Body Farm has been closed to " visitors ".

In defense of CSI, I do enjoy watching the original one whenever I get the chance.

Any suggestions on getting into forensics and med. investigations ?

Sandra

Smile csi

i just think t.v. is supposed to be entertainment and that is all i get out of it. i really keep it seperate from reality and would hope everybody understands that in the general public, even though i know that is not reality!!! i very much enjoy reading everyone's comments. keep them going!!

Oh - I love rotten.com!!! What an awesome site that is - gotta have a strong stomach and a great sense of humor. One of my favorite parts of my job was photographing autopsies - the human body is so amazing in that it takes so much and still lives, and yet so little will stop it completely! It is certainly true that many people want to go into CSI work because of what they see on TV,but when you really go to a site or autopsy and the body has rotted for days in 100 degree temp, it just isn't glamorous anymore! Did you see that the TV show CSI is coming out with yet another spin-off? CSI New York City??!! Oh please - stop the madness!!! LOL

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    better CSI or CSI Miami then some of the Reality shows on TV nowadays... that's my opinion...lol

Hi Petra.

You are certainly right about that. I would like to see more PI shows on, rather than most of the shows that are on TV.

Sandra

The way I see it movies and TV are entertainment. In most cases they show people what they want to see and sell a product and make money. On the other hand, when I pickup the morning paper and see Police, Firemen, Doctors, Churches, and people like CEO's and CFO's in trouble I tell myself that I should not judge everyone by a few bad apples. I think enterment is the same way some good and real and some bad. Just my two cents. Gunny
    Gunnard Lundberg

I would like to see more shows like Forensic Files, I do like CSI Las Vegas. Someone mentioned the Untouchables the orginal one with Robert Stack that was always a good one. Some shows do show the PI's as unsavory characters or you go to the other extreme like Tom Sellack as Magnium PI driving that car around. But I also like Mannix. I am kind of dating myself now. Have agreat one.

Firstly, before I have a brain lapse
    Stacey, thank you for that link, I am going to look into that now as I do have a strong desire for Forensic Science, and even though I do watch alot of tv that shows some of it( and trauma in the ER as well) this may or may not settle me with can I do it and will I do it

As for the TV shows, as the Founder/Trainer of the course I take now for Criminal Defense Investigator states
    TV shows are not real, no matter how "real" they try to depict the settings, they are still a far cry from the real truth ( and remember there are various sides of the truth, we all will have our own perception of it)

CSI I love, Forensic Files, Forensic Investigators, LA Law, you name it ( and I always LOVED Magnum PI and the Untouchables was my FAV growing up) but I do know its not all its "presented" to be and sadly, yes it does give alot of REAL people/professions REAL BAD REPUTATIONS

I am going to have to agree with the masses on this one and say...someone has to play the bad guy in Hollywood or else we could not have a hero...its just too bad that we have to play that role.

DJ Moran -- is offline Sr. Moderator:
    (On Leave of Absence)

Certified Distinguished Member
    I have NEVER watched, CSI Miami, However, I have watched EVERY episode of Hammer, and He is way too cool!! As far as CSI Miami, well, it's only TV,although, some of it isn't very entertaining anymore!!! Lately, I been watching an awlful lot of Law and Order, since Hammer isn't on !! I will not watch some of the stuff that is on the TV these days, "Fear Factor, ,Who wants to be a millionaire?? WHAT is with that????? They sure do not make TV like it used to be, for sure!! Of course, This is only MY opinion!!!! Thanks,for letting me comment!!

True, this has been going on in Hollywood for a long time. I remember a movie that came out in 1991 called "The Last Boyscout." OMG, same thing way back then. Portraying a PI as a "Low-Life" who has questionable ways about getting his work done. Hollywood does this though. I swear they lump PI's in the same family as shady Used Car Salesmen. I wonder how far back this Image of PI's extends in Hollywood?

Jackie rutherford
    I agree with your assessment about CSI Miami.
    I like watching the old Perry Mason shows with Paul Drake as his private investigator.

Mary...

It is so true. You just have to be who you are. People will figure out what you stand for and if you are true & honest. I have always told my children..."There is no need in telling everyone what you believe, instead, SHOW THEM."

There are many people in my small town that don't understand private investigators or what they do. I don't let it bother me....I just keep on, keeping on.

Thanks for posting your opinion.

Mary

Thumbs up Small Town PI

Hi Mary.

I too live in a small town. I know what you mean about people not understanding what you do. I even have family members who just don't get it. That's ok. It won't stop me!!!

Sandra

Hello All! If you think about it, all of the PI shows, especially in the 60's-80's, display the sleezebag piece as the characters of pi's. They show that they can be greedy and careless. I believe this is made for tv and part of the entertainment world. In the real world, if pi's are greedy, they will go to prison and if they are careless they may get killed! We know in order to be a good pi, we have to get extensive training to avoid putting ourselves in danger and we have to follow good ethics to avoid greed.

Go Monk!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast