Thread: Are you copying and pasting multiple welcome messages to newcomers?

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Are you copying and pasting multiple welcome messages to newcomers?

Are you copying and pasting multiple welcome messages to newcomers?

Please do not, unless you add a comment or two to personalize your greeting to newcomers.

Each newcomer who introduces themselves in the Forum Member's Introduction Lounge is a real person with real questions and real comments about the reason why they are here.

Let's all try a little harder in reading theit introduction or comment, and responding to their interest first. Then if you have a copy and paste item to add, please do so. But a little personal touch will go a long way to make our newcomer's feel they are important.

Thank you for your support,

Donna

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Donna,

Thank You for the info, I do need to do some changeing in the Introduction Lounge myself. Thank you!

Thumbs up I agree Donna

Thanks for your message to all. Personally, I always answer each person with an independent message to them and I never copy and paste unless it is to a certain link.

Every person deserves a response to THEM and not a generic one.

Thanks again.

genuine and warm welcome

Donna,
    Thanks for making that bold statement. I know I have felt a little embarrassed reading what seemed to be generic welcomes. But I believe that anyone who is welcoming new members has the right intentions and I hope everyone keeps on replying to posts in the new member introductions. It hasn't been that long ago since I made my introduction and I remember the excitement I had from receiving replies. Although I won't go back and read them because I don't want my first impressions to be tarnished by seeing something that now seems generic to me.
    My hope is that everyone feels a genuine and warm welcome by IPIU members.

Sandy

"If" some people do use the copy paste for a welcome, I'm sure the feeling is the same. They may not have the time to sit and write out their message so they borrow from others.

I'm sure they still are welcoming everyone with the same encouragement.

Donna,

I'm glad you posted this info--I observed some of the postings and it seems as though I saw them before--I think that everyone should give original thoughts and ideas if someone knew has taken the time to join this origanization-I'm sure I would appreciate that in any responses given to my introduction or comments

Thank you

Dan

I wish Iwould stop getting back all these e-mails that I respond to. Help!!!
    Gunnard Lundberg

If you want to unsubscribe to the threads follow the instructions in the email towards the bottom

Dan

Personal touch and a sincere thought, is what I give and hope to receive.

Hi,

I agree about the emails in my personal mail box. I can't reply to everyone.

W Kotz is offline Licensed Private Investigator
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    THANK YOU Donna, I agree with your statement. I also have noticed the duplicate statements.

Donna,

I agree!! You should take the time to type your greeting out at the time of posting.

I'd like to think that they don't cut & paste. I like to think that humans (by nature) have a routine on how they do things.

Pat

Michael Alls

It crossed my mind when I first saw your statement (I might be able to do just that . But I thought no "not a good idea ". So good luck to them all.

Touch not the cat, but a glove.

Michael

I did the same thing . LOL

Agreed. The personal touch is great - and so is good grammar, correct spelling, sentence structure and punctuation. I know, I know, those are things that slip by the best of us now and again, but to me nothing says somebody "slap-dashed-it-without-a-thought" worse than poor writing habits in these areas.

I notice that moderators who have posted literally thousands of "welcome" messages each seem to have specific important links they like to include in their first message. There's no better way to make sure you didn't leave anything out, ensure your "http" is correctly formatted, and you didn't mangle the message [because you were trying to welcome hundreds of newbies all within an hour] than to cut & paste.

Accuracy is a wonderful thing. In my opinion it's more helpful when the message someone posts to my Intro thread is linked correctly and cohesive, than that it is worded differently than the welcome message posted to anybody else.

Happy medium is the ticket, I suppose? However, at IPIU we are all such consummate professionals that we can all have it ALL, si? (Si!)

/jan

Talking

You have a good point Donna. Cutting and Pasting is fine for some applications, but a welcome message should be personalized so as to give the newcomer a sense they truly are welcome, and that they belong here. I know from administrating my websites, that anytime a new user signs up I always make it a point to introduce myself and welcome them to the site.

I personally try to just say what's on my mind and don't necessarily cut and paste much. I feel that it is best to get to the point.