Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Completed my First Assignment!

Dawn Kubik is offline Lifetime Preferred Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Investigation

I have just started with IPIU and realize the importance of assisting the community at large. About 13 years ago I went out with someone who had told me that they were divorced for 2 years and that "he had nothing to hide." Five months later (since I had just started a new job and lived in a different town), I found out this person lied about his financial situation as well as his marital status. I stayed with him because I was in a state of shock and until further lies surfaced I was not able to let go of this consummate liar. I think it is wonderful to get a sketch of a person's background to be sure that you are all on the same page. As it turned out, my life and my parents lives were completely disrupted. Thank you, Dawn Kubik.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmond McMahon
    congrats on your success thus far. I too have been pretty busy. I have been able to secure a few background checks and such for some local folks. My most recent one was pretty interesting. A co-worker of my wife's asked if I would check out her new man. She said they were starting to get a little close and wanted to check out some of the stuff he told her about his background that didn't quite make sense to her. SO, I met with her and got all the details and such. Well, it took some diggin but I finally nailed him down. Found out he is 'back-n-forth" still with who he described as his "ex" wife....has a child support order against him in CA from the one before her, and none of the professional background he alleged verified. Needless to say, she was glad to "quit while she was ahead". It was cool though that I was able to get her the info she needed to keep form getting into a potentially bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jordan
    I agree 100%
    Well, like I said when this one was first posted. I am not cocky, and certainly do not consider myself and idiot. I seldom get nervous because I am confident in my skills and accept the fact that,as long as I apply my skills appropriately, there is still some chance that I may not be as successful as hoped.....for whatever reason or circumstance. I do what I know how to do, ask for help with what I don't know, and hope that I did not miss something on the way and try to be as thorough as possible to do the best I can. If I succeed, it feels great! If I fail, yeah it feels bad, but I know it is time to evaluate what was done and isolate what may have cuased the break down in service or performance, take the opportunity to learn how to correct the issue and esnure it does not happen in the future.

So, it is not fair for someone to call another person he or she does not know or has not worked with or has not evaluated any results from cocky or an idiot based solely on his or her own interpretation of what fear and nervousness is or means.

Frank,
    Congradualtions on your first assignment. It must of been like being on any job on that first day. Don't you hate that feeling? I know when I hit the level of accepting assignments I will be nervous, luckily I have a wonderful husband that is my rock and always make what I thing truamatic seem like a walk in the park. I hope you have many more successful assignment ahead.
    Roberta
    AKA Robin

Hey Frank, just wondering how you've been doing since your first assignment. I just passed my entry test and hope to be getting my first assignment soon. Do you or anyone else have any hints as to how I should go about getting my first assignment? What do you suggest I do to get my name out there as much as possible? Thanks

Jason Fischer

Thumbs up Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter R Loncar
    Hey Wendy, It does take a while to apply to all of the Integrity Agencies. I have been working with several agencies on a regular basis since I have applied. You really need a lot of assignments to make this pay off. It's a great part time job, but the experience that you gain may be larger than the income that you may receive. Another way to make money and gain experience is through the Anti-Piracy assignments.
    So far, these mentioned assignments are all that I have been able to complete.
    I am hoping to obtain experience in any way possible to become licensed as a Private Investigator.

Good luck in your career,
    Pete.

Peter,
    I would just like to congratulate you on all the assignments you have taken on so far. From the sounds of it, it won't be long before you reach your desired destination!

Good luck to you,
    Cleo

Congratulations on admitting your fears, overcoming them, and succeeding on your assignment.
    I am very anxious to complete all the necessary steps to begin the "real" work of actually doing assignments.
    I look forward to letting you all know how it goes.

Good Job! I am also just like everyone else --- excited to get that first job! My lifetime dream is close enough to almost taste! I have been enrolled in a PCDI course for my careeer as a PI, and have learned a lot from that! Approximately how long was it before you got your first assignment? I have been doing a LOT of mystery shopping, do you think that will help give me a little experience? I thought it might as I have to pay attention to detail. Please give me your thought on this.......

Frank,
    Congratulations on completing your first assignment. I'm sure I'll be just as nervous as you were when it comes to my first assignment. Would love to hear how your other assignments went, hope all is well.

Zaida

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Bray
    Approximately how long was it before you got your first assignment?
    Everyone is individual, but once you have Level 4 access to the private union members forums, you can read the details for the assignments including the earnings.

I have been doing a LOT of mystery shopping, do you think that will help give me a little experience?
    We no longer use the phrase Mystery Shopping. Otherwise, the private investigative profession (by and large) would be known as Mystery Surveillance, Mystery Bar Hopping, Mystery Court Houses, Mystery Interviews, and so on. We use the term Integrity Investigations. And yes, all of your experience will help.

Integrity Shopping

Good Job! I am also just like everyone else --- excited to get that first job! My lifetime dream is close enough to almost taste! I have been enrolled in a PCDI course for my careeer as a PI, and have learned a lot from that! Approximately how long was it before you got your first assignment? I have been doing a LOT of mystery shopping, do you think that will help give me a little experience? I thought it might as I have to pay attention to detail. Please give me your thought on this.......
    Judith,
    I was wondering if you could give some insight as to the best way to get jobs for integrity shopping. I have seen several websites that offer it, but they all request money up front. I have heard that these are . Any Suggestions??

Congrats

Congratulations on your first assignment. I can't wait until I get my first one. I have been reading and waiting.

Judy

Thanks again for another helpful and useful tip.
    Regards, Michelle

FRANK - Congratulations on completing your first assignment! I'm sure I too will be just as nervous when I get mine. I know I still have a long way to go, but EVERYONE within IPIU has been very helpful and supportive. I and very happy to be a part of the IPIU family and wish I did this sooner! I'm very anxious and excited to get it all completed so that I can move on to the next step in the process of becoming a PI. May you continue to be successful and fully enjoy your new career!

Congratulations! I know you are excited to have completed your first job assignment.
    Any great pointers, that I should be looking forward to as a new member?
    LaTonya Talton

I am looking foward to it myself, thanks to all.

congrants on your first assignment. I cant wait till I start. I am actually still a level 1 but I still cant wait.

I am also looking forward to my first assignmnent. What is the time frame to wait.

Lisa Frye - is offline Certified SPI
    Licensed Private Investigator

Moderator (On Leave of Absence)
    Sr. Distinguished Union Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy Moll
    I am also looking forward to my first assignmnent. What is the time frame to wait.
    Hi Stacy,

The following link will help you find your answers.

Time table from application to assignments

Good luck,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wright
    Carol,
    Last night I read somewhere in here that most PI functions take 6 months to one year of training before you are considered qualified.
    Actually, some PI functions only take 2 weeks to become qualifed to do the assignment and to an paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wright
    Thanks for your information regarding the requirements in NY, I am checking on my state's now.
    See my reply to Carol about the exceptions in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by Irene Keselman
    I am not sure either if reading all this stuff will make anybody a better PI,
    Our office received an email today that 40 national private investigative agencies (those that hire nationwide) will be opening their assignment forums here in the private areas using the same forum software and navigation tools.

Our forum software is currently used at over a million other websites worldwide.

Learning it, participating in it, and using it does lead to more assignments and othe PI benefits.

Stacy,

There is no time frame-check the new job posting and the ones you feel you are qualified for, make sure you respond directly to them-I sent out four resumes to posssibilities and got a response from a Colorado firm--I live in Michigan-I now do chase calls for them-don't give up they are numerous opportunities out there--I also have a full time job that I cannot leave--Good Luck

Thumbs up Congradulations Frank!

I was wondering how you felt when you recieve the assignment. Right now, I am excited to be at the start of becoming a PI. I'm not sure of what to expect. Can you give any insight on crossing the first threshold!!
    Thanks!

Julia Kieran

Congrats and best of luck in the future!

Wondering

I was just wondering if anyone knew how long it took for newcomers to get their first assignment, after they sent in their membership dues and received the test and the manual?

LaTonya, it all depends on you, read as many threads as possible, the answers are usally there. There are certain training assignments such as anti piracy, those are fun and you will learn a lot. By doing those assignments you will see just how much prior planning it takes to do this kind of work, and you will start learning skills like attention to detail. You will learn as you go, read,read,read, there is a link you can go to and they will answer just about any question imaginable, that some one else had. Good luck and have fun in your endeavors, Carl I.

I shall leave no stone unturned!
    Carl R. Isenhour, (I shall leave no stone unturned)

Carl,

Thank you for that information. I am starting to find myself around the different forums. I will have to catch up on my reading.

Thanks again,
    LaTonya Talton

Congratulations!! What was your first assingment like?

William Deas is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    congrats, Frank, on your first job. you will get better as you go along. Keep trucking
    And thanks for your story. I will join IPIU soon.

William Deas

Congrats Frank!

I know this post is a little late, but way to go. I am also in Michigan and it is nice to see someone from "my home town" so to speak, working in this field. If you have any pointers for a fellow "Michigander", please feel free to contact me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad McDonald
    Congratulations!! What was your first assingment like?
    I too would like to know. Without disclosing vital information can anyone that has been on an assignment disclose what type of assignment a first assignment or any assignment was?
    Curious in Texas.
    Gela Brooks

Congrats Frank,
    I just passed my exam and I am waiting for my assignments. I must admit that I am terrified that I may do it wrong, however only time will tell. Again, congradulations Frank.

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gela Brooks
    I too would like to know. Without disclosing vital information can anyone that has been on an assignment disclose what type of assignment a first assignment or any assignment was?
    Curious in Texas.
    Gela Brooks
    Only Level 4 union members may post their private details in the Level 4 forums.

(The topic you are readling here is in the public forums)

to discuss or not to discuss?

David,

So what you're saying is that it's ok to discuss general aspects and shop talk with persons of your same level here on the IPIU's forum? That would make sense however how does it apply away from here? I would assume you shouldn't because a case is a case and your client expects privacy unless you discuss with your firm and advise your client or in your notes who you discuss with... am I on the right track? I don't think it would be ethical to discuss any actual specifics of names, dates, places.
    Liz Yumrutepe
    PI Trainee
    Criminal Justice Student
    Kaplan University

Congratulations and thanks for sharing! I can't wait to get my first assignment!

congrates, Frank I have just received my code of ethics and am eagerly but, nervously waiting for my first assignment. thanks to all.

I just finished my first assignment. It was a learning experience for me. I will do things different on the next one. Good luck you guys and gals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Shields
    I completed my first assignment on 1-23-04. I will be honest, prior to the day I had to actually perform the assignment, I cannot explain in words how nervous I was and how my stomach was in knots! Did anyone else have these problems? After I completed the assignment, it was like a ton of bricks were lifted off my shoulders! I actually amazed myself and performed the assignment correctly! Now, I feel a whole lot more relaxed and am ready for my next one and several after that!

I actually have another one scheduled for the first week of February. I am looking forward to that one.

I want to say thanks to all the members who have posted replies, I have learned a lot from you and want to thank you for all your efforts and time. Your comments and experience helped me to perform my first assignment correctly!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Mary,

This place is great! I just wish I had found it a long time ago! But I plan to spend as much time as I can to becoming a full time PI. The more I read here, the more I am excited in becoming a PI!

Good luck with your new career!

Thanks,

Frank Shields

Frank, I'm glad you brought this up. I have been so excited that I forgot to be nervous about doing my first assigment! I am sure initially I will be petrified, but then as time goes by it will become seond nature. (I hope. ) I hope you have had continued success since your first assignment!

everyone is nervous at 1st, just take a few breathes and remind yourself you are a professionial.... and if you read the entire manual, then you are...ipiu has the best that is out there & the support from hundreds online.

Makenisis Francois is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    I am also new here, I don't no what I'm going to expect, at first I thought I can get my license than work. Reading everybody thread, gave me a little confidence. To be honest i'm still nervous, I can't wait for my first assignment.

Makenisis Francois is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    A little about me, I was bron in Miami Fl and raised in Miami. I'm currently taking criminal justice at FMU at Lakeland FL. I'm very excited about taking criminal justice, my biggest goal is to make a difference. Currently I am a security officer, I went to Job Corp and took Pre-Law, I completed the program, and earn a certificate in Pre-Law. Now I want to take it futher with my career. To be honest FL, sucks when it comes to job. I hope this private investigator works out for me. Thank You for giving me a chance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast