Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In the News: Female Private Investigators

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Budde
    If anyone knows how we can get more women involved with federal law enforcement career opportunities, please let me know.
    Frederick, wouldn't the ball be in the Federal Govt's court on recruiting more women? I would think the women are there, but we are wondering how to crack the glass and get in. I would love to get involved. Thanks,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Rose
    Frederick, wouldn't the ball be in the Federal Govt's court on recruiting more women? I would think the women are there, but we are wondering how to crack the glass and get in. I would love to get involved. Thanks,
    To my knowledge, job fairs expressly targeting women have been given, and recruiters have visited women's colleges and universities, but interest has been poor (to say the least). The other problem is after training, they meet a nice fed cop and get married or pregnant.
    Please don't accuse me of being a male chauvinistic pig (I know I am ), but those are the facts.
    If you (or anyone else out there) feel you could meet the qualifications, please visit the recruiting websites. Good luck, and I hope to see you on board!

Well, you made me laugh out loud. I guess it could be the whole Officer & Gentleman thing. I would definitely be interested in seeing if I would be qualified. Can you point me toward the recruting websites? I would like to see what qualifications are needed and how to go about next steps. Thanks for getting back with me.

Smile

Well, you made me laugh out loud. I guess it could be the whole Officer & Gentleman thing. I would definitely be interested in seeing if I would be qualified. Can you point me toward the recruting websites? I would like to see what qualifications are needed and how to go about next steps. Thanks for getting back with me.
    Good morning, Mary.
    Try usajobs.gov, and then sort by series 1801, 1811, etc. There might be links to search by job title.

Frederick,
    I agree with Mary Rose that there are more women interested in the career field, but don't know how to get involved. I also agree with you on the getting married and having children phase of it, but women are told that children are better off staying at home than in Day Care. I believe more women would keep working if we weren't told our children were better off with us at home.

A working mother.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mary A Young
    I can tell you how I get so many posts. IPIU has become a regular part of my day. Currently, I'm working on it happening at the same time every day. I don't have as many as Donna, however. A lot of that is because the flu bug has been through this house twice in the month I've been here! So I have had several days of not being here.

When I log onto the main Forums page, I always do a "VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS" search and that tells me where to start each day. I don't always get through all of them. But I go as far as I can. I do a lot of welcoming of newbies because I really do like that sort of thing.

And I try and keep my posts personal, but when I get to the other levels, I very well may have to resort to something a bit more canned. I'm going to fight doing that until I have to. As we gain forum accesses that are higher, it will get to be too much.

Hope that helps ya!

Mary
    I wish I was able to make so many posts but, I don't have a computer. On top of that I have to deal with a 3yr old and a 7yr old by myself.
    Us ladies are taking over.

Question Hi

Good morning, Mary.
    Try usajobs.gov, and then sort by series 1801, 1811, etc. There might be links to search by job title.
    Thanks Frederick for the information. I was wondering if there was an age limit with the federal government?

thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Bliton

Thanks Frederick for the information. I was wondering if there was an age limit with the federal government?

thanks
    The only age restrictions are if you want to become a federal law officer; then the limit is 37. This is because the retirement is mandatory after 20 years. Most SA's stay on, however, and just give up the right to carry a weapon. Even this is being reviewed with the current need for operatives. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you in Washington

I Wish

The only age restrictions are if you want to become a federal law officer; then the limit is 37. This is because the retirement is mandatory after 20 years. Most SA's stay on, however, and just give up the right to carry a weapon. Even this is being reviewed with the current need for operatives. Good luck, and maybe I'll see you in Washington

Thanks Frederick, but I'm past that age. Darn it.

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Julia Great Information On The Stats. Male Or Female If Its A Strong Point,go For It.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Bliton
    Thanks Frederick, but I'm past that age. Darn it.
    Aha! But you could still be a Special Agent, series 1801 (Investigator); no age limit! I'm a classic example of that!

PI's now a days definately come in all shape/size/and colors...Soccer mom by day,
    Gumshoe by night...
    ( No Disrespect intended )

Ed Dufresne

Sometimes things change for the better...there is nothing about this field that should exclude women.

Ain't life grand. Just look at how far society has come. There's plenty out there for all of us. Let's go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Dufresne
    PI's now a days definately come in all shape/size/and colors...Soccer mom by day,
    Gumshoe by night...

Ed Dufresne

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Dufresne
    Gumshoe by night...

Ed Dufresne
    In many surveillance instances as well as in process service when the person is avoiding service it is a deffinate advantage in being a female operative. I personally believe it every agency should have at least one part time or smeone with another agency they call call on to work certain cases.

Women In The News: Female PI's

I would definitely like to pursue this avenue, especially since I am currently not working. Where would be the absolute first place to start for getting prepared in MN? Also, if I am planning to move out of state, should I wait to do it at my new home?

Margaret, I think you should wait until you move as every state has different qualifications and policies for obtaing your license. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lura Jones
    In many surveillance instances as well as in process service when the person is avoiding service it is a deffinate advantage in being a female operative. I personally believe it every agency should have at least one part time or smeone with another agency they call call on to work certain cases.
    Lura, I agree with you. I don't think people suspect a woman of serving papers as much as they would men. Just remember though, it can be dangerous so be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Davis
    I would definitely like to pursue this avenue, especially since I am currently not working. Where would be the absolute first place to start for getting prepared in MN? Also, if I am planning to move out of state, should I wait to do it at my new home?
    Since almost all states have a requirement showing experience, I would get started as soon as possible!

Frederick, I am planning on applying for my process server license in AZ. I would like to prepare before I take the exam. Can you give me any suggestions on how to prepare for it? Obviously I don't know what kinds of questions they will ask. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Frederick, I am planning on applying for my process server license in AZ. I would like to prepare before I take the exam. Can you give me any suggestions on how to prepare for it? Obviously I don't know what kinds of questions they will ask. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Sorry, I have no knowledge or background in process serving, but I'm sure others on the forum can assist. You might check and see if there are any State organizations you could contact, or even the group giving the exam might tell you what areas are covered on the exam. Let me know how you make out.

Female PIs

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Ann Stewart
    65% of all private investigators are now female, whereas in 1985 there were only 10% female.

Although the report said 10% had something in their background, it did not say they could still become good private investigators.

In our Licensing Forum, most states allow private investigators to operate in many areas of investigations without a license.

(If your news station has a web site, there is a good chance that the story is posted there. I'd like to read it)

Wow, I am really surprised that 65% of private investigators are female! I had no idea it was such a growing profession among women. I am just about to graduate from Northeastern University in Boston, with a degree in Criminal Justice. I must say that I am one of the only people I know of pursuing a career in the PI field. Most females I know in my major are pursuing a career in social services or in the law field. I guess you learn something new every day!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bole
    Sometimes things change for the better...there is nothing about this field that should exclude women.

AMEN, Scott!!! I believe that women are so detailed oriented that this is a great field for them.

Sorry, I have no knowledge or background in process serving, but I'm sure others on the forum can assist. You might check and see if there are any State organizations you could contact, or even the group giving the exam might tell you what areas are covered on the exam. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks Frederick. Take care

Lura, I agree with you. I don't think people suspect a woman of serving papers as much as they would men. Just remember though, it can be dangerous so be careful out there.
    Thanks I will. It also helps in getting information. For some strange reason people are more willing to talk to a woman than they are to a man.

Thumbs up

Thanks I will. It also helps in getting information. For some strange reason people are more willing to talk to a woman than they are to a man.
    I think men feel less threatened by a woman. Little do we know

LOL, Frederick, you are a smart man. You never can tell what we women are up to. I do agree though. I think that most people would not expect to be served by a woman, because it is considered a potentially dangerous job. I believe women would be very good at process serving.

LOL, Frederick, you are a smart man. You never can tell what we women are up to. I do agree though. I think that most people would not expect to be served by a woman, because it is considered a potentially dangerous job. I believe women would be very good at process serving.
    Since I have no experience with "serving", is it possible to pick out the papers you want to serve? or locations? Or is that limiting yourself too much? I would think it's the old "take the good with the bad...", but I really have no experience with that aspect. Believe it or not, I've never been served!

I think men feel less threatened by a woman. Little do we know
    You are a very smart man Fredrick.

Women Advantage

Lura i agree and have seen that advantage. Alot of agencies are now having ATLEAST one female investigator on call for assignments such as cheating spouse cases or posing as "eye candy" bait.

Hello Everyone,

I am new here and I guess I'm at step # 2. Tommorow I will be getting my fingerprints and pictures done so that I can mail them off. I have read all the info on how to fold the print card and everything. My question is what happens next? I read in an earlier post that after the test theres a step 4. Could someone just break down the process of how you go from applying to working? Again this is probably my 2nd post in the past couple of years....yes years. I started looking into this in 2002 but never really dedicated myself, but I've come to terms with the fact that this is really what I want to pursue.

Thank you for all of your post with so much helpful information. I am will to accept any helpful information you may have for someone who is just getting starting like myself.

Also is anyone from the North Carolina area?

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Hmmm!

North Carolina, is that the state that will see one of the next eight hurricanes for the season?

Melody,

On a serious note, Welcome.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

Unhappy North Carolina

Yes....that would be us.

Well I have to say that I called the police station in my town to get my fingerprints done. I told them it was for employment and they told me that they didn't do them and that I would need to contact the CCBI (City/County Bereau of Investigations) and have them do it. I asked did she know the address or phone # and she said no.

I haven't given up, I just don't understand why they couldn't do it, they are right around the corner from me yet I have to go to the next town which is about 45mins away.

Melody

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Harris
    Hmmm!

North Carolina, is that the state that will see one of the next eight hurricanes for the season?

Melody,

On a serious note, Welcome.

Now that wasn't funny..then again, you may be right and will produce lots of work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Melody Deloatch
    Yes....that would be us.

Well I have to say that I called the police station in my town to get my fingerprints done. I told them it was for employment and they told me that they didn't do them and that I would need to contact the CCBI (City/County Bereau of Investigations) and have them do it. I asked did she know the address or phone # and she said no.

I haven't given up, I just don't understand why they couldn't do it, they are right around the corner from me yet I have to go to the next town which is about 45mins away.

Melody
    Melody, all I can say is keep reading and follow all of the steps, reach out and ask lots of questions. If you are not getting answers, call the corp office and they will help you. I say this because I had to call a couple of times to get my info resent. It take time, patience and dedication. What you put into it is what you will get out of it. Good luck and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Totos
    Lura i agree and have seen that advantage. Alot of agencies are now having ATLEAST one female investigator on call for assignments such as cheating spouse cases or posing as "eye candy" bait.
    Your correct and that is what I heard too.

All I can say is good luck. Here in OH-10 (Ohio) it's a man's old school world! Maybe someday before I am 6ft under that can be changed! I think they should wake up and smell the coffee as it is 2006 hello!

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    Update:

Out of the 50,000 private investigator members worldwide, more than half of them are female.

It may be a "man's world" in some circles, but maybe that's because the men are answering the office phone and the female owners and managers are writing the checks.

Donna

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Reagan
    Update:

Out of the 50,000 private investigator members worldwide, more than half of them are female.

It may be a "man's world" in some circles, but maybe that's because the men are answering the office phone and the female owners and managers are writing the checks.

Donna
    Rub it in, Donna, rub it in

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast