Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: In the News: Female Private Investigators

Donna Coleman-- is offline *
    Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigator Forum Member

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Women PI'S

Hi, I was watching the local news this evening while filling out my IPIU application and behold there was a story about 3 local women that were training to be private investigators.

One female had just graduated from the local college here and her instructor is a PI for about 12 years.

The other two women are still in school and graduating soon.

After the story the news anchor went on to say that a growing number of women are getting into this field and that 1 in 10 people who try to get into PI have something negative in their background checks.

Another thing she mentioned was that top PI' s earn between 35k-50k year (more for the experienced) and that most survelliance by PI's are 12 hours.

I found that interesting because I had just started filling out my application when the story came on the news.

65% of all private investigators are now female, whereas in 1985 there were only 10% female.

Although the report said 10% had something in their background, it did not say they could still become good private investigators.

In our Licensing Forum, most states allow private investigators to operate in many areas of investigations without a license.

(If your news station has a web site, there is a good chance that the story is posted there. I'd like to read it)

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Smile

Julia, I will try to find the information. Where should I post it?

GIRL POWER!!

Donna:

Thanks so much for sharing that bit of info, I found it both enlightening and interesting!

Christine

Originally posted by Donna Coleman
    Julia, I will try to find the information. Where should I post it?
    If it is a news topic, paste the web link here in a Reply.

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Smile

Thanks Julia I will look for the story if its on the news site and post it here

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Smile

You are welcome Christine

Female PIs

Julia, Donna:

I would also like to read this. Thanks for the info Donna.

JeryLyn

Re: Women PI'S

Hi, I was watching the local news this evening while filling out my IPIU application and behold there was a story about 3 local women that were training to be private investigators.

One female had just graduated from the local college here and her instructor is a PI for about 12 years.

The other two women are still in school and graduating soon.

After the story the news anchor went on to say that a growing number of women are getting into this field and that 1 in 10 people who try to get into PI have something negative in their background checks.

Another thing she mentioned was that top PI' s earn between 35k-50k year (more for the experienced) and that most survelliance by PI's are 12 hours.

I found that interesting because I had just started filling out my application when the story came on the news.

Hello Donna,

Hello Donna,

Thanks for sharing this interesting piece of news. I'm especially interested in this subject due to the fact that I have a traffic citation, a small issue (a misdemeanor if that) that has been hanging over my head for a while now. I sent my background application out last week and I fringe every time I think about what the outcome could be. I really don't see too much of a problem regarding my situation but you never know who is on the other side making the decision.

Who knows, my file can wind up in the hands of a certain individual that is having "a bad hair day" and decide to reject my paperwork. Gosh, I hope not! You mentioned that a PI's salary range is approximately $30 – $50K a year. Please don't quote me on this and I'm not sure what state you live in, but for those of us living in California, these figures sound a bit LOW. I live in the Bay Area and the cost of living here is ridiculous. I'm sure they were quoting annual figures for your particular state. I will check the annual figures for California and compare them to other states just for the heck of it. Thanks IPIU for making my career move not only educational but also enlightening.
    Debbie Richardson
    Private Investigator Trainee

You are welcome Christine

Donna,

I saw your comments posted below your name and I thought to myself, WOW! May I ask, how did you get so many comments posted in one month? That is really terrific to see such dedication within the forum. I guess the week I did not get on my computer made a big difference in the amount I could have posted. You must LIVE on your computer 24/7 with a large number as yours. Great work and loyal dedication is what makes an outstanding employee.

IPIU is lucky to have dedicated employees as you. You go girl!!!!
    Last edited by Debbie Richardson; 02-25-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Thumbs up Hi Debbie!

I can tell you how I get so many posts. IPIU has become a regular part of my day. Currently, I'm working on it happening at the same time every day. I don't have as many as Donna, however. A lot of that is because the flu bug has been through this house twice in the month I've been here! So I have had several days of not being here.

When I log onto the main Forums page, I always do a "VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS" search and that tells me where to start each day. I don't always get through all of them. But I go as far as I can. I do a lot of welcoming of newbies because I really do like that sort of thing.

And I try and keep my posts personal, but when I get to the other levels, I very well may have to resort to something a bit more canned. I'm going to fight doing that until I have to. As we gain forum accesses that are higher, it will get to be too much.

Hope that helps ya!

Mary

Re: Hi Debbie!

Originally posted by Mary A Young
    I can tell you how I get so many posts. IPIU has become a regular part of my day. Currently, I'm working on it happening at the same time every day. I don't have as many as Donna, however. A lot of that is because the flu bug has been through this house twice in the month I've been here! So I have had several days of not being here.

When I log onto the main Forums page, I always do a "VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS" search and that tells me where to start each day. I don't always get through all of them. But I go as far as I can. I do a lot of welcoming of newbies because I really do like that sort of thing.

And I try and keep my posts personal, but when I get to the other levels, I very well may have to resort to something a bit more canned. I'm going to fight doing that until I have to. As we gain forum accesses that are higher, it will get to be too much.

Hope that helps ya!

Mary

Hello Mary,

Hey thanks for the tip on the "View Active Topics". I had no clue to go there...thanks to you I do now. I have just been pretty much replying to my email messages and then go from there. It depends on whether or not I have time, but I also jump around using the pull down menu of forums. I'm still trying to figure out my way around and I'm still overwhelmed. I just hope I am doing the processes right and doing something I'm not suppose to.

I guess if I messed up somewhere I would have been notified by the proper authority. So far, so good! Whoosh…Thanks for replying to my message and I also appreciate you sharing your info with all of us. Have a great day and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Debbie Richardson; 02-25-2004 at 03:32 PM.

Hi everyone,

Donna thanks for the information it was both interesting and informative.

Debbie, I think you doing just fine getting around. Some of us just have more time than others and somedays even with the time some of us will come in and read and just not be up to commenting at that moment, I know I have my days like that.
    As for what PIs make in California, I forgot were to go to look up salaries,lol...I was gonna do that for ya since I have the time right now..

Mary, how are ya...The way you go about looking forums up is a very good idea..."VIEW ACTIVE TOPICS" would have all the updated topics....Theres time I have gone into rooms and noone has been in them for awhile...

Yall have a good day!!
    melanie

Debbie, I'm pretty sure you can go to salaries.com and look up how much you should be making approx. for your job in your exact area. It'll have an average, with graphs. Quite handy. This is my first time accessing the forums and I'm very happy to find active women in the field. This may be a more enjoyable job than I thought. I'm excited for my training and assignment.
    Heather

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure you will be an excellent PI. We do need to encourage more women to apply themselves in all areas of the working field. Hey, who knows, they say it's a "Man's World" that we live in, maybe someday us women will change that! Not a bad idea, is it men? Welcome aboard Heather! It's nice to have you on our ship.
    Last edited by Debbie Richardson; 02-25-2004 at 03:39 PM.

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone and Congrats to those just joining the forums.
    I have just recently starting reading and posting and reading and posting. As others have said it Takes time and patience . I am happy to see that a decent percentage of women are joining the field. Its always encouraging to know that men and women can work side by side.

Daphane

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Debbie, thank for responding to my posting. I am not working and have not been since Sept 03 so I have much time to sit and read and respond. I am so excited and ready to get started with investigating. Good luck to you. BTW sorry it took so long to respond but I have been really busy.

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:
    Julia, I emailed the television station that broadcasted the story on female private investigators and they don't have a archive where I can go back and get the story for posting I am so sorry. As I mentioned to another member sorry it took so long to respond but I have been very busin in and outside of the house. Have a great weekend.

hi everyone,

its gr8 to see so many women here...i received my photo cred. last week and i am going to finish up my test sunday, hopefully and get that sent back in...i started a new job so that has stalled some of the things i was working on this week...well off to work, yall take care...
    melanie

Hi Melanie,

So you are in the middle of taking your test huh? Is it a hard test, or is it the basic open book test where you have to read and then answer questions? Congratulations on both, your new job and getting a step closer to level 4. Keep up the good work Melanie and have a nice day!:)
    Last edited by Debbie Richardson; 02-25-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Re: Hi Debbie!

Hello Mary,

Thanks again for the info. Let me see if I'm getting this right. I can go into "Search" type "View Active Topics" and it will go to the most recent topic? I was wondering if I had to get into something else first since I could not find "View Active Topic" by itself anywhere. Take care!
    Last edited by Debbie Richardson; 02-25-2004 at 03:37 PM.

hi debbie,

thank you...tomarrow i will let u know on if the test is hard, but by overlooking it, it doesnt seem to be hard...as for the "view topic" go up to the top off this page and hit the home button, then under ur name u will see "view active topics". hope that helps...have a good night....
    melanie

Female Private Investigators

Good News,

There is so much excitement on this forum, to look at the different times we are in now. Sharing the vast information, that once was hard to find. Thanks alot for the informatin it was both interesting and also informative. Yes, I have to agree, I to am excited for my training and assignment.
    Barbara Hardin

Talking

I would think one of the reasons why women PI's is on the rise is for one decoys for cheating partners/spouces. But what I think is it comes down to is it's steryotyped just like police officer "it's a man's world"(that I know of in my area we have not one female state trouper). To be honest when I would think PI I would think man. till I have gotten into it myself. Please don't take this the wrong way, YES us women are more than capable of handleing cases! It's just a thought.

Barbara Compton

"Women Unite" hehehehe

thank you for sharing that information. i am real excited to get started with this training!! barb

Cool

Welcome Barb (nice name )

I'll be honest the best thing to do is start reading the forums. Awsome information. Just can't seem to get enough of it. I was wondering what area of work do you do?
    Looking forward to hearing from you again. Keep the excitement!

Best Wishes
    Barbara Compton

Female PI's

Wow!!! I didn't realize that females have come so far in the world of private investigating. Way to go!!!!! I am still very excited about becoming a PI and joining this growing profession. After reading this thread, I am even more excited to get started. I didn't think that was possible.

Take care everyone

Darcie

Michael Harris is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Distinguished Insignio Colleague of:
    To All:

It is so nice to see women helping women without any male bashing.

I know that I am in the right place.
    Michael E. Harris

Badge #6718

hi barb

thank you for the welcome...and yes it is a great name! i will take advice about the forums. right now i am working for 2 insurance agencies, however i have worked in the telecommunications field for the last 24 years until last year...downsizing. so i am really excited to get started in something interesting.

Talking

Barb,
    Have you posted your Introduction yet? If not please do so we can get to know you.

Barbara Compton

what do i need to put on my introduction post , please?

hi barb, please tell me what sorts of info. do i need to post on my introduction? thank you for your help. barb cardis p.s. and where do i go?

Talking

Barb,

What I have done was read some of the people who were new and had gotten an idea as to what I felt comfortable putting in. Well, like backround in work(or what your doing now), what your hobbies are, stuff like that. Below is a helpful link. (I hope it works for ya, first time posting a link)

Newcomer's Topic and follow the instructions:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5008

Glad to see you here!
    Barbara Compton

Unhappy

Barb,
    Sorry I don't think it worked. UUUGGG!!!
    At the top of the page on your upper right corner click on search, type in (it will be on your left) Newcomer's Topic. It should take you there.

Sorry about that. Still learning myself.

Hope it helps
    Barbara Compton

Thanks for sharing the story about Women PI's in the news. It's great to hear it's a growing career! I'm looking forward to getting my feet wet very soon!!

Andrea Page

Originally posted by Barbara Compton
    Barb,

What I have done was read some of the people who were new and had gotten an idea as to what I felt comfortable putting in. Well, like backround in work(or what your doing now), what your hobbies are, stuff like that. Below is a helpful link. (I hope it works for ya, first time posting a link)

Newcomer's Topic and follow the instructions:thanks barb, you have been very helpful too! i think i am starting to get my way around.barb

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5008

Glad to see you here!
    Barbara Compton

Donna,

Thank you for the information, that is great that women are starting to get into Private Investigations.

re; women P.I.'S

I jus wanted to say HELLO to all of my fellow /sister P.I.'S .This is such an exciting time for all of us,and I am so looking foreward to working with all of my fellow p.i.'s. We all have such a bright,and exciting future ahead of us. I just received my manual and test yesturday .I am so ready to start training,and getting assingments. We all have so much to learn,and I am so glad to a part of this union,and these forums.I know we will all learn,and grow together.Thank you for the very possitive article on women p.i.'s ,and for all the great information,and support.
    Have a great day!!!

Deborah,

Thanks for the posting regarding more women getting into the PI field. This is very encouraging and exciting.
    Last edited by Bridgett Brown -; 02-25-2004 at 02:17 PM.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

Distinguished Member:

2004 - 2008 Member of:

Smile good luck

Tammy I wish you the best with your test. My test and manual should be coming later after I mail in my coe which I need to do today. Let me know how it goes and have a great week.

Re: re; women P.I.'S

Originally posted by Tammy A Nelson
    I jus wanted to say HELLO to all of my fellow /sister P.I.'S .This is such an exciting time for all of us,and I am so looking foreward to working with all of my fellow p.i.'s. We all have such a bright,and exciting future ahead of us. I just received my manual and test yesturday .I am so ready to start training,and getting assingments. We all have so much to learn,and I am so glad to a part of this union,and these forums.I know we will all learn,and grow together.Thank you for the very possitive article on women p.i.'s ,and for all the great information,and support.
    Have a great day!!!
    hi tammy, i am so excited for you too! i can't wait to get my manual as well. there is alot to learn, but there is also alot of support here from everyone and i think that is what makes this so special. have a great day! you go girl!barb cardis

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast