Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Florida

OIC, well then, I would gather all your paperwork & submit it with your C application.
    The reason they told you what they did is because they (the regional office) cannot tell you if you qualify or not.....only Tallahassee can make that determination. Unfortunately you won't know if you qualify until you apply & Tallahassee says "OK". Even Tallahassee won't discuss it over the phone....they'll tell you the same thing..."apply". Hey, give it a shot....from what you've said, you shouldn't have a problem. Remember, you need an "A" to sponsor your "C".

Let us know how things turn out...

Tom...

Hello, I am a licensed Private Investigator in West Virginia, I am operating on my own business license as a private business.

Hello Everyone, found this site last week and have read a Forum Topic every day since joining...Excellent Info.
    I am a Licensed Surety Bail Bond Agent for State of Ohio, goal is to become a Licensed Private Investigator, getting ready to be a registered P.I. Just sent the Link for this sight to an 2 Associates already in the P.I. Field...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rampley
    Once you apply for membership and pay annual dues, how long before you can take advantage of education and job sites?
    Bill, if you use the ecommerce site it takes about 24 hours.

Good evening to all, I would like to confirm my interpretations concerning the types of cases I can work in the state of Florida.. Ihave IPIU ID and my badge also have mailed in the self test. Can I solicite clients with business cards?? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence E Eckert
    Good evening to all, I would like to confirm my interpretations concerning the types of cases I can work in the state of Florida.. Ihave IPIU ID and my badge also have mailed in the self test. Can I solicite clients with business cards?? Thank you in advance.
    Hi, Lawrence & welcome to IPIU.....
    To answer your question in a word...NO! Please read the first post in this forum for complete details on what you may & may not do without a state-issued license.

Best of luck!

Tom...
    Tom Tanner
    "If you don't learn something new every day, you're not paying attention." ~my dad~

I am wondering if IPIU counts towards the continueing education needed to maintain your license. Can anyone help me with this question?

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Elder
    I am wondering if IPIU counts towards the continueing education needed to maintain your license. Can anyone help me with this question?

Answer: If you are referring to the State of Florida's continuing education requirement to maintain a state PI license, I believe they recommend their own educational sources that are based in Florida, which IPIU is not.
    Technical Support
    Administrator

Thanks for the response. I will check with the state to find out thier requirements.

Hi I am a Private Investigator and a former Detective from the Puerto Rico Police Dept. I will like to know if I can apply for A P.I. license and firearm license in the states
    Hector De Jesus Lic.3173

Hector, I am not sure what the qualifications on transferring are but I can give you the website for the division of licensing in FL. It is http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/ Each state has its own licensing requirments and you did not indicate which state you are interested in. Hope this helps.

Cool hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Goodwin
    After reading, reading, and reading some more, I find I still have a few items I either don't understand well or simply just don't know.

As I understand it, I can perform services that do no require licensing to gain experience. Additionally I can locate a licensed sponsor for a CC class license. What I'm unsure about is if I'm performing unregulated services for various employers(?), wouldn't that make me an independent contractor? If so, how does that count towards licensing requirments?

The other part of this question is if I locate a sponsor, am I limited to just working with/for that sponsor (barring any non-compete agreements, etc.) or can I work for other licensed individuals on an as-need basis? This, again, seems like it could make me an independent contractor, causing the same concern on how this would count towards licensing.

The problem being that I can't afford to work full time for a sponsor at the entry level rates (that pesky bills to pay problem), and working part-time for a sponsor may take a very long time to gain any valuable experience, depending upon the amount of work available.
    I was going to post a question about gaining experiece towards the "C" license (FL 2 years) but I seen Thomas Goodwin's post (back in March of 05) and thinking a reply to his question might have answered mine but no reply came. ??

I went to his introduction page where I found he posted a similar same question but yet again no reply (back in Fed of 05). ???

hmmmm maybe the PI field is for me.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified
    As I understand it, I can perform services that do not require licensing to gain experience. Additionally I can locate a licensed sponsor for a CC class license.

What I'm unsure about is if I'm performing unregulated services for various employers(?), wouldn't that make me an independent contractor? If so, how does that count towards licensing requirments?
    Answer, No. The choice between you and the employer is a tax question, not a mandatory independent contractor question.

You can also incorporate your own business and then hire yourself as an employee (not an independent contractor) to begin establishing a year long record of investigative experience.

The other part of this question is if I locate a sponsor, am I limited to just working with/for that sponsor (barring any non-compete agreements, etc.) or can I work for other licensed individuals on an as-need basis? This, again, seems like it could make me an independent contractor, causing the same concern on how this would count towards licensing.
    To work as a CC licensee, you must be an employee (not an independent contractor).

As for working for multiple C-licensed agencies at the same time, my guess is it is rare.

The problem being that I can't afford to work full time for a sponsor at the entry level rates (that pesky bills to pay problem), and working part-time for a sponsor may take a very long time to gain any valuable experience, depending upon the amount of work available.
    Solution 1: Work as often as you can for a C-licensee, and work part time as an employee of your own corporation that earns you much more per case.

Solution 2: Become a union member and go to the Level 4 forum for Obtaining your agency C-license (with no personal prior PI experience)

Solution 3: Join the upcoming PI Union Club Meetings this year (watch your emails) and hook up with an IPIU member.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Sam, I obtained my P.I. license in FL. working for a sponcer. According to the law, you are suppose to intern 40 hours per week for 2 years if you don't have any corresponding college courses. It was virtually impossible for me to work 40 hours per week with one sponcer because his company did not have that much investigative work. I did have his permission to work with 2 other Investigators to obtain the hours I needed but he was my primary sponcer. I am pretty sure you can work with up to 3 Investigators while obtaining your internship but most sponcers do not like for you to do that. I made the money to supplement my income by serving process. You can make pretty good money doing that and you work your own hours. This was all before I knew about IPIU and that I could have been an employee of my own agency. Even with your own agency, You still have to have your CC license under a licensed Investigator until your internship is complete. But that Investigator can work for your agency. I hope this info is helpful to you. Let me know if you have any questions. I will try to find the answers for you. Good Luck to you and keep us posting on how you are coming along.

Thumbs up

Thank you Donna & Debra your replies definitely have helped clear things up for me.

Owning my own agency definitely seems like the way to go either starting through Denver or straight from here in FLA and with no experience in the PI field going with opening up an agency in Colorado then a branch in FLA seems to make the most sense, especially with all the great information and training available from this site.

I apologize if this is a little off topic, even though having insurance for an agency is important and possibly the only way for a FLA PI agency to get a quality licensed PI to sponsor me within my agency but from what I read in the FL statutes only a class "B" (security) agency is required by law to have the $300,000 general libility insurance http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...6110#0493.6110 but I've read in other threads that it is required, is it written somewhere else in the statutes?

Thanks again for the help it's much appreciated.

SR

Re: PI LICENSING: Florida

Hi everyone,
    I have a question about sponsoring. I have a lawyer aquaintance of mine in Miami, that would like to sponsor me. Can a divorce attorney be a sponsor for a PI Intern?
    I need to know the correct answer here as I want to do things in a legal manner. Or does it have to be a Class A private Agency only? A prompt response would be appreciated as I need a sponsor right away so I can mail my CC License application to Tallahassee on Monday. Thank you, Nel

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will

Greetings Nelvis, its nice to see you here at IPIU. May I ask if you read the first post in this thread, if not, there is some great info there and not to mention links.

You can also do a search here on the forum "Internship" and see if it's what you're looking for in terms of which direction to follow.

if you need additional assistance, please go to your Introduction Thread and post a more detail question there and someone will surely answer it for you. Do let me know if you are able to meet the deadline?

Have a great day.

Thanks Jerome,
    I posted my question here since its a Licensing forum I figured it would be the right way to do things. I went through the threads and have not found an answer yet that is why i posted the question. Thanks again, Nel

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Hi Nelvis -

Read post # 100 above - and be sure to contact them to ask your question.

They should be able to answer you without hesitation.

Hope this helps.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne,
    I noticed it before and called but I get conflicting information from different people and i want the correct answer so if I decide to go this route I know im abiding by the law. Don't want any legal problems as I take my commitments very seriously and I find that people like to walk the fine line. Not me!!! I am very proud to be a part of this union and I'm very passionate about my career so its better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for your help, Nel

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    Hi Nelvis -

CALL them and tell them exactly that - that you have had
    conflicting information depending on who you ask.

Ask them their full name and title - they'll get you
    the correct information, of that I'm sure.

Remember - part of being an investigator is to INVESTIGATE.

I'm on hold right now as I post this comment. Hopefully I'll get a straight answer.. Thanks nel

Nelvis,

NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An attorney's assistant (or employed private investigator) in performing his or her duties (for the licensed attorney) 493.6102-3
    as for the sponser part, you should have recieved a booklet with the package that explains it.
    W. H. "Buddy" Bevis, is the Director of the Dept of Licensing. call them & report you have had conflicting info on sponsership and need a direct answer, wait till you get to the Pretexing issue LOL talk about a totally Vague law here in FL!

Hi Goldie,
    Havent talked in awhile been busy between school and completeing my first assignment, and yes i was successful. Im very happy. And you were right about the laws. I have alot to learn about our wonderful regulated state. But I have no complaints, I'm learning alot here and i'm so glad you pointed me in the right direction with getting my membership here at the union. Thanks again for all your help, Nelvis

Thank you for the information.

hi nelvis , when you get to level 4 i suggest applying to parr the education is well worth it.

Some Confusion.

I have a Class D Security License in the state of Florida, and it is in good standing. I work for a "Security" firm, doing events and such. My question is this: Does this count toward getting a C or CC License?

Also, I am a Criminal Justice Major in an accredited school, does this "learning" go toward any actual hours?

Finally, I do want to receive my "regulated" PI License, what is the actual criteria (how many hours are required) to receive, and does any of the school count toward this?

And finally, I also volunteer for the Guardian Ad Litem, does any of that "investigative" work count, as I make recommendations to the court based on plan outcomes.

WHEW! I think that covers all of it.

Levin Melvin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

2008 to 2009 Member of:

Paula,

There are new regulations to apply for a "C" license in Florida. You can go to the florida website for private investigator license and they have the application for "C' license and other license you wish to apply for. Go to www.fl-aglaw.com.

Levin

Levin:

Thank you for that information and website. I will take a look at it.

Adelaida B Cucuta - is offline Certified SPI

Private Investigator Union Member of IPIU
    Licensed Private Investigator (CC2800463)

I am newbie and I have a lot to learn, but so far I can say I am glad I joined IPIU because I am learning.

badge 11573

2008 to 2009 Member of:

Applied for "C" license found out that Penn Foster school is not one of the schools the license department looks at for education. Why is that? Just want to let everyone know.

Quote Originally Posted by Levin Melvin View Post
    Applied for "C" license found out that Penn Foster school is not one of the schools the license department looks at for education. Why is that? Just want to let everyone know.

You can qualify your Colorado Agency for a Florida Agency License by following the Instructions in this Level 4 link:

Obtaining Your Private Investigator License or Agency License
    Technical Support
    Administrator

2008 to 2009 Member of:

I know you can but that wasn't the issue. The issue was qualifying for "C" license not agency license. Thanks for the email.

2008 to 2009 Member of:

Was approved for "C" license waiting to them in the mail. Thanks for the support IPIU.

can i receive a class C license if i do hours with a person who has a license or a business?

2008 to 2009 Member of:

Do not understand what you mean by hour. If you are referring to one hour of training only the answer would be no. Read the requirements under Florida law to see what you need to apply for C license. If you do not meet the requirements you can apply for CC license.

Benji,
    I assume you are asking if you can work with a licensed PI then qualify for your own license. (?) In FL, you must be an EMPLOYEE of the PI agency you are working with in order to qualify as experience towards your licensing. The state of FL will not accept any Independent Contractor work whether PI related or not. You can apply for your "CC" license (PI Intern) and find a "C" licensed sponsor to fulfill the state's requirements, but your sponsor has to agree to employ you under their agency and submit a notarized statement of their "intent to sponsor" to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. You can always go to that website to find out more info. www.doacs.state.fl.us.

I hope this helps.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator

DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Benji Soto View Post
    can i receive a class C license if i do hours with a person who has a license or a business?
    You've received some good advice already.

Also:

Answer 1: Yes, you can qualify for a C license after you work for another licensed agency for the required hours who will sponsor you as a trainee.

Answer 2: Or, you can review Page 1 of this topic to see which non-licensed businesses you can work for without having to obtain a license in your name. The exemptions are for unregulated assignments.

Donna Reagan
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

2008 to 2009 Member of:

Received "C" license in the mail now I am ready to go to work and learn more exciting adventures in the Private Investigation world.

are u now a manager of ur own agency.. or u still just a cc pi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast