Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PI LICENSING: Florida

Question

Hello all,

I am new member. I just returned my Code of Ethics, etc to IPIU and am patiently awaiting my training manuals. I have to reply to Karen's previous post because I ordered applications from the Department of Agriculture, Division of Licensing for Class C, Class CC, Class G and Class paperwork. I filled the Class CC out and have it waiting to mail out in the envelope that came with it. I was a bit confused until I read all posts in this forum but think I have it now. When IPIU referrs/sends/etc me to assignments they may or may not be assignments that I can take or perform because I do or do not have state PI licensure. It's also still my option to take or not take any given assignment. All this is pending upon me successfully comleted the interview given by the company, firms, business that I was referred to. After about 2 years of PI type work, in a unregulated arena, I can apply for Class CC licensure @ which time I will need a sponsor with a Class C to sign the application and intent to sponsor letter(whether I have the 2 years experience or not).

Am I on track so far because I'm like Karen and the majority of others in this forum; trying to get a handle on this thing so when I do get to that bridge, I'll know how to cross it. There's nothing wrong with getting a jump on things especially new things and hey, PI's are inquisitive. It's probably a bit difficult for me being a newbie and all though.

Also, it seems like it's going to be a bit difficult to get assignments not being licensed with a Class CC or C in Florida. I'm just wondering, how many unregulated PI positions/jobs can there be in any given area? I guess IPIU has addressed that issue, otherwise there wouldn't be an IPIU and an unregulated task can be paid less than an regulated one I'm assuming.

I'm still excited though. I even, in ordering forms from the Dept. of Ag, ordered Class G and Class W forms. This may be the incorrect forum to mention the following in but it's all related so here it goes - If I wait for more than 6 months (??) after I had my initial fingerprint card completed, mailed to IPIU and processed, will I be needing another fingerprint card along with fee if I wait to apply for those Class W and/or Class G licenses after 6 months?

Any assistance/replys given to this post is greatly appreciated and any criticism is considered constructive, especially since we're here to help eachother.

Thanks in advance,
    T. Williams

Originally posted by Terrie Williams
    Hello all,

Any assistance/replys given to this post is greatly appreciated and any criticism is considered constructive, especially since we're here to help eachother.

Thanks in advance,
    T. Williams
    Greetings Terrie,

You have some good questions. There should be more then just me responding to this to give you the best answers possible to all your questions.

I will try to answer some of them. I would get a confirmation on this just to make sure.

The fingerprint cards are for IPIU "only" they are not for anything else. You will need to submit a separate set of prints for anything that the State of Florida requires including anything for your "G" License.

IPIU and the State of Florida are two separate things. Do not get the two confused. Although IPIU can help you with you getting your CC, you are still going to have to follow the rules set up for the State of Florida because it is the State who controls your license.

In closing, I hope this helps you out somewhat. Moreover, someone else will make a post to answer all of your questions because they have applied for a CC in the state of Florida or they are a moderator or Administrator for IPIU. Best of luck to you as you pursue your goals here in the forum.

Sincerely,

You do not have to wait 2 years until you can get your CC license. If the referral thinks you are good to be sponsored, he will fill out that sponsor sheet that came with the CC application. Then once you send that application in, you are temporarily licensed until the commission sends you your license. So you do not have to wait 2 years for the CC license. And also a big factor with the two years of Internship is that degrees and education can waive some time for the C license. A surveillant I talked to said that my military experience would most likely waive a year of experience towards the C licensure.

What I would recommend is that you look up the statutes online, they have the process in great detail.

Fritz Drexler

Originally posted by Fritz Drexler
    What I would recommend is that you look up the statutes online, they have the process in great detail.

Fritz Drexler
    Greetings Fritz,

You give some very good advice. I would also recommend that you do research right here in the forums. There is a whole section devoted to the Florida statutes for getting your license in this state. It is a good source of information.

In closing, best of luck to everyone trying for their license here in the state of Florida.

Sincerely,
    Bryan McManis

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information and I will be work on getting my license as soon as possible.

Thumbs up

Brian and Fritz,

Thanks for your replies. They were greatly appreciated. I'll take the advice of you two and review the statutes, in detail, a bit at a time because I'm really not trying to get licensed immediately but was trying to get as much info as possible on the process though so I would be familiar with it when I do get ready.

Good thing IPIU is here for people like me because reading the statutes and responding/replying to this forum on the website complement one another and really help.

Thanks again,
    T. Williams

Marketing Investigative Services - Florida

I would like to market through the internet corporate and personal investigative services although I would clearly state that I am not licensed in Florida (the state to which I am moving this month). Basically this would be a referral type service where I gather information on the clients wants and needs then contact a qualified licensed investigator to work with the client directly. Do you see any problems with this approach?

Re: Marketing Investigative Services - Florida

Originally posted by Brian Walsh
    I would like to market through the internet corporate and personal investigative services although I would clearly state that I am not licensed in Florida (the state to which I am moving this month).

Basically this would be a referral type service where I gather information on the clients wants and needs then contact a qualified licensed investigator to work with the client directly. Do you see any problems with this approach?
    No!

And IPIU has a referral program for union members. If you refer your client to a licensed PI, you can a nice referral commission (which is standard policy).

Although this topic is for licensing statutes only, union members can obtain free business advice and help in the Level 4 forum here:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=17
    Forum Administrator Staff
    London, England
    www.ipiu.org

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 31st Year Serving 48,366 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251 (USA)

Great quick reference guide Cynthia! Answers every question I had after recieving my initial e-mail invitation.

What are the procedures for a licensed Tx PI to continue a surveillance on a subject who has or will be travelling to Florida?

Getting the agency license is the best way to go.

Yoner,
    Thats hard to do on short notice. If a subject under surveillance from Tx travells to Fla. what is the procedure to legally continue? Would I need to contact a PI in the state? Or get permission from the Regulatory Commission there for a temporary permit, if that exsists?
    Thanks

Trying to muddle through some of this is like walking through mud. I keep forgetting to go clear to the end and then find clairification already exists to a question or comment I made. The information on getting the CC and checking out the statutes on line is helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by Laura DeBower; 05-21-2004 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Davis
    Don't read too much into getting a license or not getting a license. Most agencies will not hire if the person has no experience or academic training.

Get your training, take the tests, and sign up for assignments that do not require a license to perform. Then once you have some experience, contact IPIU for free assistance in going for your license, getting interviewed with agencies, or starting your own.
    Ok. So I'm a trainee waiting on the fingerprint card to send back. I'm trying to get as much information as I can from the different threads and forums. Where do I sign up for the assignments? Am I skipping too far ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis
    Yoner,
    Thats hard to do on short notice. If a subject under surveillance from Tx travells to Fla. what is the procedure to legally continue? Would I need to contact a PI in the state? Or get permission from the Regulatory Commission there for a temporary permit, if that exsists?
    Thanks
    Call the Florida Board to verify that they may have a 30 day exempt period for licensed Texas PI's following a target, as most states do.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura DeBower
    Ok. So I'm a trainee waiting on the fingerprint card to send back. I'm trying to get as much information as I can from the different threads and forums. Where do I sign up for the assignments? Am I skipping too far ahead?
    As your question in your Introduction Topic in the Forum Introduction Lounge area.

I am a licensed Private Investigator in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in excellent standing since 1993. I This is such a different venue in the investigating world, I really am very motivated to get my "feet wet" on these new assignments.

Darlene
    Licensed Private Investigator

Question

Would I need a license to do investigative work for a retail location?

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Horton
    Would I need a license to do investigative work for a retail location?
    According to the Florida statutes, you may not need a license to do investigative work for a retail store.

Here are some quotes to consider:
    1. Exemptions based on CHAPTER 493:

(*)
    2. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any individual solely, exclusively, and regularly employed as an unarmed investigator or recovery agent in connection with the business of her or his employer, when there exists an employer-employee relationship. 493.6102-3
    3. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any unarmed individual engaged in security services who is employed exclusively to work on the premises of her or his employer, or in connection with the business of her or his employer, when there exists an employer-employee relationship. 493.6102-4
    4. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person or bureau whose business is exclusively the furnishing of information concerning the business and financial standing and credit responsibility of persons or the financial habits and financial responsibility of applicants for insurance, indemnity bonds, or commercial credit. 493.6102-5
    5. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An attorney at law in performing his or her duties; 493.6102-6
    6. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: An attorney's assistant (or employed private investigator) in performing his or her duties (for the licensed attorney) 493.6102-3
    7. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person or firm that solely and exclusively conducts genealogical research, or otherwise traces lineage or ancestry, by primarily utilizing public records and historical information and databases. 493.6102-14
    8. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any bank or bank holding company, credit union, or small loan company operating pursuant to chapters 516 and 520; any consumer credit reporting agency regulated under 15 U.S.C. ss. 1681 et seq.; or any collection agency not engaged in repossessions or to any permanent employee thereof. 493.6102-7
    9. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person who holds a professional license under the laws of this state when such person is providing services or expert advice in the profession or occupation in which that person is so licensed. 493.6102-8
    10. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any security agency or private investigative agency, and employees thereof, performing contractual security or investigative services solely and exclusively for any agency of the United States. 493.6102-9
    11. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person duly authorized by the laws of this state to operate a central burglar or fire alarm business. However, such persons are not exempt to the extent they perform services requiring licensure or registration under this chapter. 493.6102-10
    12. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person or company retained by a food service establishment to independently evaluate the food service establishment including quality of food, service, and facility. However, such persons are not exempt to the extent they investigate or are retained to investigate criminal or suspected criminal behavior on the part of the food service establishment employees. 493.6102-11
    13. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person who is a school crossing guard employed by a third party hired by a city or county and trained in accordance with s. 316.75. 493.6102-12
    14. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any individual employed as a security officer by a religious institution as defined in s. 199.183(2)(a) to provide security on the institution property, and who does not carry a firearm in the course of her or his duties. 493.6102-13
    15. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any licensed Florida-certified public accountant who is acting within the scope of the practice of public accounting as defined in chapter 473. 493.6102-15
    16. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any individual who is an "officer" as defined in s. 943.10(14) or is a law enforcement officer of the United States Government, while such local, state, or federal officer is engaged in her or his official duties or when performing off-duty security activities approved by her or his superiors 493.6102-1

PERSONAL NOTE: FOR OTHER "INTERPRETATIONS", click here: http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=3558

(*) = Clarification/Interpretaion

OTHER CLARIFICATIONS:

*NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: This chapter shall not apply to a person or corporation which employs persons who do private (investigations) work in connection with the affairs of such employer only and who have an employer-employee relationship with such employer. Neither such persons or corporations nor their employees shall be required to register or be licensed under this chapter, although such persons or corporations or their employees may elect to be licensed under this chapter. 493.6102-3

*NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: A peace officer employed on a full-time basis by a federal, state, county, or local law enforcement agency who contracts directly with an employer to work during his or her off-duty hours and whose off-duty employment is conducted on an independent contractor basis with another employer other than a peace officer engaged in the private detective or private security business or a private detective or private security agency. 493.6102-1

(*) = Clarification/Interpretaion

OTHER LEGAL OPINIONS POSTED BY THE STATE:

LEGAL OPINION 95-8

QUESTION:

Does an out-of-state private investigative agency, that advertises via computer services such as the Internet and other national computer networks, require licensure under Chapter 493, Florida Statutes?

RESPONSE:

Out-of-state entities advertising private investigative services on national computer networks are not subject to the Division's purview unless they advertise as performing, or conduct, private investigative activities in Florida.

LEGAL OPINION 95-32

QUESTION:

Why does Section 493.6116(3), Florida Statutes, require the 50-mile radius requirement regarding sponsorship of interns?

RESPONSE:

The legislature's intent in imposing the 50-mile radius requirement is clearly stated:
    Internship is intended to serve as a learning process. Sponsors shall assume training status by providing direction and control of interns.

To achieve that expressed intent, the legislature mandated that sponsors "shall only sponsor interns whose place of business is within a 50-mile distance of the sponsor's place of business and shall not allow interns to operate independently of such direction and control."

The language of the statute specifies that sponsors shall only sponsor interns whose place of business is within a 50 mile distance of the sponsor's place of business. By that language, the residence address of the intern in relation to the sponsoring agency is irrelevant. The language only requires that the office from which the intern routinely operates is within a 50 mile radius of the place of business of the sponsor. Additionally, statutory language does not prohibit the performance of regulated activities by interns outside the 50 mile radius so long as the regular place of business is within 50 miles. Interns may conduct regulated activities anywhere in state if the regular place of business makes them accessible for instruction, direction and control by the sponsor.

The statute requires that the office from which the intern in fact and routinely operates is within a 50 mile radius of the sponsor's place of business. In order to acquire the training requisite to obtaining the "C" or "E" license, the intern must in fact and on a routine basis be physically under the direction and control of his sponsor. "Physically" contemplates in-person contact on a routine basis, with the sponsor and is not accomplished by contact solely by telephone, fax, or computer. Additionally, the statute does not prohibit the occasional performance of regulated activities by interns outside the 50 mile radius if the intern is in fact and routinely operating from an office within a 50 mile radius of his sponsor.

Other Legal Opinions and Exemptions:
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/opinions/index.html

SOURCE:

I must admit some of this is very confusing. I am just releived to see that in the state of Florida there really is no need to be licensed. I think that the agency we work under should be licensed, however.

Quote Originally Posted by April R Groff
    I am just releived to see that in the state of Florida there really is no need to be licensed.
    Yes and no, as the statutes clearly state.

But the International Private Investigators Union has more of a detailed view in it's Mission Statement :

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13864

Since I have always worked for myself and an not looking for an hourly wage as an employee I think I would be better off owning an Agency and hiring class 'C" PI on an as need basis to cover the legalities of getting me my 'CC' intern license. I would like more information on this topic. Do they have to be full time employees? Do they have to be involved in every case? Can I find my own clients and work the cases I choose and pass on the cases I feel I am not qualified to handle?

This is all in time..as of today I am not qualified to handle anything yet.

I attended the Me.Criminal Justice Acdy. As I understand the Fl. licensing I should be able to use that towards gaining my C.C. license. Is My believe correct? I would also like to know if the coarses from ipiu help to reach that end. I would also like to say I'm in big trouble if the age thing is a problem. I'm 52 and female!!!! ouch.

Cool Florida Residents – This might help! also need help!

Florida Residents – This might help!

After much research from calling, sending out my resumes, and yes; even begging for hours, I have found out that I was looking in the wrong places for P.I. work here in South West Florida.

Moderators Note:
    For union members who have Level 4 Access,
    click on the following Level 4 Private Link to read of Joanne's
    success story in getting assigned to a Licensed Florida firm:

Click Here

Also more information –

In order for the Florida resident to be an armed P.I. in this state a Concealed Weapons Permit is not enough; we must also hold a G License and in order to get this license you must first acquire your D. I just finished my D and am signed up for my G.

D class can run about 50 – 75 dollars, and 72$ for licensing, G altogether is about $300.00.

Take care and good luck!
    Joanne DeHerrera
    Last edited by M Michelle Le Fevre--; 11-06-2004 at 08:02 AM.

(On Leave of Absence)

Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne DeHerrera
    Florida Residents – This might help!
    Hi Joanne

Thank you for this valuable information, I have moved this post into the PI Licensing Forum where is will be very useful to our members and receive the attention it deserves.

Thank you for your support
    M Michelle Le Fevre
    MCSD, MCP, IPIU
    Case Examiner
    Badge #10178

M Michelle Le Fevre

Quote Originally Posted by M Michelle Le Fevre
    Hi Joanne

Thank you for this valuable information, I have moved this post into the PI Licensing Forum where is will be very useful to our members and receive the attention it deserves.

Thank you for your support

Your welcome!

Have a great Saturday night

Joanne

This information is helpful. When a PI is already licensed and joins IPIU does he/she receive a new identification card from IPIU, or just keep the one they already have?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Naquin
    This information is helpful. When a PI is already licensed and joins IPIU does he/she receive a new identification card from IPIU, or just keep the one they already have?

The Preferred Membership and Management Membership does not include the photo-credentials. It is an option that amounts to about a $29 set up fee, and then is free every year thereafter on renewal.

If I am understanding this correctly, according to point 9 of Exemptions based on Chapter 493 which states:

9. NO LICENSE NEEDED FOR: Any person who holds a professional license under the laws of this state when such person is providing services or expert advice in the profession or occupation in which that person is so licensed. 493.6102-8
    I am able to work as a private investigator in the areas of nursing home abuse, insurance fraud (medical), as well as others medical related cases without a PI license as long as I maintain my professional nursing license?

And, if so, do I need to be employed by a company dealing with these type of investigations or am I able to work as an independent contractor providing services as a PI?

These may be of some use as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome O Isaac
    Hello Joanne, just want to thank you for the helpful info, and also for the Link too.

Also want to thank M Michelle for putting this tread in its right place.

Keep up the good work both of you.
    Your welcome

Also I was thinking that these links may also be of some use.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/

This one is also just for 493 - Us
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...EChapter%20493

This is the Senat's home page-
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Welcome/index.cfm

Joanne

Lavon Reynolds is offline Lifetime Preferred Member

Corporate Agency Member of:
    Reading about the the Florida PI licensing,helped clear up a lot of questions that I had about Maryland PI licensing.

Question Florida Licensing

Ultimately, I want to start my own agency and understand that IPIU will assist with this, but until that time comes, if I accept referrals from IPIU will these hours count towards my C license?
    I've read so much about Florida Licensing that I'm a little confused
    Melanie Vale.
    It's All Good

Cherish your vision and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprint of your ultimate achievements

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Morrow
    If I am understanding this correctly, according to point 9 of Exemptions based on Chapter 493 which states:
    I am able to work as a private investigator in the areas of nursing home abuse, insurance fraud (medical), as well as others medical related cases without a PI license as long as I maintain my professional nursing license?
    Yes and no. The statutes indicate that is you are a registered nurse and your employer asks you to conduct an investigation for their business, then no - you do not need a PI License. If your employer is an insurance company and they assign you an investigation, then you do not need a PI License. If an attorney employs you to conduct a medical investigation of nursing home abuse because he/she has a client who suspects abuse, then you do not need a PI License.

The issue is outside solicitation of your services or no outside soliciation. If you wish to advertise for numerous clients, then seek either to own your agency (which does not require owners to have experience, but at least one of their investigators must qualify), or seek to gain your experience by applying for your CC License (Internship).

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Morrow
    And, if so, do I need to be employed by a company dealing with these type of investigations or am I able to work as an independent contractor providing services as a PI?
    In addition to the answer above, there are many areas you can serve as an independent contractor without a PI License. Most trainees can call themselves CASE EXAMINER while building experience. Union Members also have free access to the OBTAIN YOUR LICENSE FORUM where details and help will provide you with either assignments within the law or help you set up your own agency without any personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Vale
    Ultimately, I want to start my own agency and understand that IPIU will assist with this, but until that time comes, if I accept referrals from IPIU will these hours count towards my C license?
    Most experience can be counted toward a state PI License,k regardless of who employed you. The requirement is to have the proof ready when you apply for the license. Keep good records, including dates, hours, earnings, employers, etc.. Remember too, all state licensing boards have an appeal process that goes before their board of directors. If you feel your experience is not being counted, chances are very good to have it counted at the appeal stage (if needed), as long as your records are solid.

Another item to remember is that other PI Agencies will give you MORE credit toward all experience you gain. And these same agencies that you work assignments for are in a better position to sponsor your PI License.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie Vale
    I've read so much about Florida Licensing that I'm a little confused
    You too??
    Concentrate on getting trained and if there is a licensing question, ask the employer if they require it for their specific assignment. But as long as you live in the state, print off your statutes and refer to them once in a while to become educated about what they mean. It takes time, but that is what a professional career requires.

I called my friend who is a member . . . and she says. . .
    Sorry, we do not recognize any authority other than what is written in the Florida Statutes. Even if someone called the state licensing board and said something over the phone, it must be exactly what is already posted in the state website for the statutes.

. . . she says that if you are practicing as a Florida P.I. you must go through all the proper licensing.
    This is untrue. That is why we do not permit guests and members to be informed without the full benefit of all of the statutes. A practicing private investigator does not need a state PI license if their practices fall within the posted exemptions of the statutes (see page 1 of this topic). Therefore, your friend should have said that "some" practicing private investigators should get licensed.

Two year internships with perhaps someone who specializes in Medical, or if you have done 2 years of Investigative work in your nursing/medical field all of your hours must be recorded/dated/what you did personally in the investigations and so forth, and it must be documented by a A Agency and License C holder.

You can contact the Regional Supervisor Investigator Division of licensing in Punta Gorda, Florida to ask them for help in this matter just make sure the information that anyone gives you in correct
    I personally would call Punta Gorda, because you will always right away talk to a real live human.
    This is good advice, especially for someone who is trying to use a medical background to qualify for a state PI License.

Also, please review the Mission Statement you agreed to when you registered here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=13864

(It better explains why IPIU sustains and supports all licensing authorities and how we educate members about their authority and the statutes they are required to interpret)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Yes and no. The statutes indicate that is you are a registered nurse and your employer asks you to conduct an investigation for their business, then no - you do not need a PI License. If your employer is an insurance company and they assign you an investigation, then you do not need a PI License. If an attorney employs you to conduct a medical investigation of nursing home abuse because he/she has a client who suspects abuse, then you do not need a PI License.

The issue is outside solicitation of your services or no outside soliciation. If you wish to advertise for numerous clients, then seek either to own your agency (which does not require owners to have experience, but at least one of their investigators must qualify), or seek to gain your experience by applying for your CC License (Internship).

In addition to the answer above, there are many areas you can serve as an independent contractor without a PI License. Most trainees can call themselves CASE EXAMINER while building experience. Union Members also have free access to the OBTAIN YOUR LICENSE FORUM where details and help will provide you with either assignments within the law or help you set up your own agency without any personal experience.

Most experience can be counted toward a state PI License,k regardless of who employed you. The requirement is to have the proof ready when you apply for the license. Keep good records, including dates, hours, earnings, employers, etc.. Remember too, all state licensing boards have an appeal process that goes before their board of directors. If you feel your experience is not being counted, chances are very good to have it counted at the appeal stage (if needed), as long as your records are solid.

Another item to remember is that other PI Agencies will give you MORE credit toward all experience you gain. And these same agencies that you work assignments for are in a better position to sponsor your PI License.

You too??
    Concentrate on getting trained and if there is a licensing question, ask the employer if they require it for their specific assignment. But as long as you live in the state, print off your statutes and refer to them once in a while to become educated about what they mean. It takes time, but that is what a professional career requires.

Sorry, we do not recognize any authority other than what is written in the Florida Statutes. Even if someone called the state licensing board and said something over the phone, it must be exactly what is already posted in the state website for the statutes.

This is untrue. That is why we do not permit guests and members to be informed without the full benefit of all of the statutes. A practicing private investigator does not need a state PI license if their practices fall within the posted exemptions of the statutes (see page 1 of this topic). Therefore, your friend should have said that "some" practicing private investigators should get licensed.

This is good advice, especially for someone who is trying to use a medical background to qualify for a state PI License.

Also, please review the Mission Statement you agreed to when you registered here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=13864

(It better explains why IPIU sustains and supports all licensing authorities and how we educate members about their authority and the statutes they are required to interpret)
    Thank you for this comprehensive answer. I will concentrate on becoming trained and proficient, and let everything happen as it should
    Melanie Vale.
    It's All Good

Cherish your vision and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprint of your ultimate achievements

After reading, reading, and reading some more, I find I still have a few items I either don't understand well or simply just don't know.

As I understand it, I can perform services that do no require licensing to gain experience. Additionally I can locate a licensed sponsor for a CC class license. What I'm unsure about is if I'm performing unregulated services for various employers(?), wouldn't that make me an independent contractor? If so, how does that count towards licensing requirments?

The other part of this question is if I locate a sponsor, am I limited to just working with/for that sponsor (barring any non-compete agreements, etc.) or can I work for other licensed individuals on an as-need basis? This, again, seems like it could make me an independent contractor, causing the same concern on how this would count towards licensing.

The problem being that I can't afford to work full time for a sponsor at the entry level rates (that pesky bills to pay problem), and working part-time for a sponsor may take a very long time to gain any valuable experience, depending upon the amount of work available.

Thanks for all of this valuable information. I think I know what course of action I needs to take to get my license down here in Florida. Thanks to all who have posted information and questions.

I was a Deputy Sheriff for 4 years . Now I am no longer working for the Sheriff. Does it qualify me to apply for the " C " Pi license?

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    Thank You For The Run Down,ipiu Is Great For Input,i Was Trying To Interpet This Statue But The Break Down Is Easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Le
    I was a Deputy Sheriff for 4 years . Now I am no longer working for the Sheriff. Does it qualify me to apply for the " C " Pi license?
    Hi, Johnny,

In a word, "YES".

Be sure to read the FL Statutes pertaining to licensing. You'll find the link to the licensing department (Department of Agriculture & Consumer Affairs) in this forum.

Best of luck to you!

Tom...
    Tom Tanner
    "If you don't learn something new every day, you're not paying attention." ~my dad~

Hi, Nelson & welcome to IPIU!

Here's the link to the Department of Agriculture & Consumer Affairs that regulates & licenses Private Investigators as well as other professions. At this link you will find the phone number for the regional office closest to you. I suggest you call that office & pose your questions to them; get the info "straight from the horse's mouth".

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/

Hope this helps & best of luck to you.

Tom...
    Tom Tanner
    "If you don't learn something new every day, you're not paying attention." ~my dad~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast