Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: PI LICENSING: Florida

Levin Melvin is offline Licensed Private Investigator

2008 to 2009 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Re: PI LICENSING: Florida

I am "C' license PI. I am a manager of a PI agency training a woman with "CC" license.

Charles Taylor - is offline Private Investigator

2008 Member of the Private Investigator Forums

I just completed the 24 hour class for CC intern at the community college. A C licensee with an A license has signed my application paperwork and I have sent the package in to DOL.

Can I legaly do things like the Anti-Piracy assignments offered here at this site without his control? Or, should that work be done through his agency.

As I understand 493 ( from my 24 hour class), everything I do must be under the direct control of my sponser, and only an A licensee can subcontract.

Would accepting an assignment to check for piracy showings of events like a heavyweight championship fight be a violation of 493?

Thanks, C.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I became a licensed intern the day I submitted my complete application to the DOL in Tallahassee (Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services/Div of Licensing). My license remains in effect until my application is either accepted or denied. If denied for some reason, my interim license is void. If accepted, then I will receive my 2 year CC license.
    If you became a licensed intern, then you would be issued a CC number. You will probably get the CC number after your documents have been fully processed. In the meantime, we see that you have a Security License with the state.

To check on your status, go to the following link and enter you first and last name:
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/access/individual.html

My question is, now that I have paid dues to the IPIU, and have become licensed, (at least for the time my application is being processed), my access to the site forums remains restricted to areas that seem to be more aimed at enrolling folks into a non-licensed participation.
    That is correct. To upgrade from your current Level 3 access to Level 4, you must either have a state PI License number or the optional PI Union License, which is available here:
    http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=81

Here, a PI is required to have on their person both an employee ID from an A licensed agency and the state issued CC license when engaged in any capacity covered by the regulations (FS493).

I would like to know more about how the assignments from IPIU (example: anti=piracy) comply with the new Florida regs.
    Yes, Florida only controls regulated cases and assignments, not unregulated cases or assignments or agency's. Anti-piracy and other cases can fall within the fifteen (15) exemptions to the law. See here:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12781

Also, would the rules about subcontracting come into effect? Florida law does not allow class C or CC licensee's to subcontract, only class A (agencies).
    The law if only referring to regulated cases and assignments, not unregulated cases or assignments or agencies:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12781

As I understand 493 ( from my 24 hour class), everything I do must be under the direct control of my sponser, and only an A licensee can subcontract. Would accepting an assignment to check for piracy showings of events like a heavyweight championship fight be a violation of 493?
    Your sponsor only has control over regulated activities, cases, and assignments - and not unregulated. Another example is the sponsor has no control over you taking undercover covert "Mystery Shopping" cases, as long as you refer to your title as a "mystery shopper" and not a "licensed private investigator".

For anti-piracy titles, use the title of "auditor".

Summary:
    Make sure you print a copy of the exemptions and understand they completely. You do not want to jeopardize your pending license by misunderstanding your rights to work unregulated cases.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Charles Taylor - is offline Private Investigator

2008 Member of the Private Investigator Forums

Re: CC license. My lic # is CC2800844. (My application shows incomplete only because I faxed in my certificate of completion form showing that I have taken both the 24 and 16 hour classes at Manatee Community College form DACS-1062 09/08).

DOL said that the letter was sent 11/20/08 with instructions to return the notice with the original certificate of completion. Yes, I also have a D license as well.

I am also a student at Manatee Community College as a Criminal Justice major. Being retired leaves me some extra time to round out my education. Being a beginner with no practical experience, I felt that it would be worth the $99 dollars to join here and to have access to experienced licensed professionals.

Something else that you might find interesting is that an intern may have more than one main sponsor from different agencies. The only restriction is that the accumulated hours from each agency cannot over-lap. While Tammy at the DOL office in Tallahassee could not give reference to a written rule in FS493, she said that she will confirm this via the phone (805) 245-5665. This will come in particularly handy to interns who cannot find a full time job with an agency.

Once agencies understand that they can share interns with other agencies, it might be easier for interns to get some experience. 2000 hours in two years is going to be hard. That is why I am getting a year of criminal justice in at the community college. Florida will accept up to one year of education for a year of experience. That means roughly 30 units, or hours of class credit.

Kenny Stumpf is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2005 to 2007 Member of:

Re: Pi Licensing: Florida

Does anyone know about getting PI insurance in Flordia? I saw I need 300,000 liability insurance. Approximately what are your pi firms in flordia charged for insurance? Would anyone recommend ways to lower the insurance premiums? Obviously being armed would bring up insurance. But how about other risks?

Re: Pi Licensing: Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Stumpf View Post
    Does anyone know about getting PI insurance in Flordia? I saw I need 300,000 liability insurance. Approximately what are your pi firms in flordia charged for insurance? Would anyone recommend ways to lower the insurance premiums? Obviously being armed would bring up insurance. But how about other risks?
    Hello, Kenny!

Nice to see you back.

For the PI Insurance Topic and great inside advice , go to the following Level 1 link:

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...-PI-Bond-Cheap

All my best,

Robert
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Update PI LICENSING: Florida

The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, licenses and regulates the private investigative industry in accordance with Chapter 493, Florida Statutes. Private investigators and private investigative agencies serve in positions of trust. Untrained and unlicensed persons or businesses, or persons not of good moral character, are a threat to the public safety and welfare.

The private investigative industry is regulated to ensure the interests of the public are adequately served and protected. This information has been made available to inform Florida citizens about licensing requirements.

A private investigator is any individual or agency who, for consideration, advertises as providing or performs the following activities. Individuals or agencies providing or advertising as providing these services for consideration must be licensed.

1- Subcontracting with the government to determine crimes or wrongs done or threatened against the United States
    2- Determining the identity, habits, conduct, movements, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, reputation or character of any society, person, or group of persons
    3- The credibility of witnesses or other persons
    4- The whereabouts of missing persons, owners of abandoned or escheated property, or heirs to estates
    5- The location or recovery of lost or stolen property
    6- The causes or origin of fires, libels, slanders, losses, accidents, damage, or injuries to real or personal property
    7- Securing evidence to be used before investigating committees or boards of award or arbitration or trial of civil or criminal cases

Because of there being so much detailed information, it is best to go directly to the resource:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/inv...ons/index.html

Lynden Clarke is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Being in Florida,..I am happy to say that this information is exactly what we all from Florida need as getting information from the state is worse than pulling teeth,...as this is almost always incomplete and true totally turn-around and confusing..Thanks

Liz Mason - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Sponsored by:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynden Clarke View Post
    Being in Florida,..I am happy to say that this information is exactly what we all from Florida need as getting information from the state is worse than pulling teeth,...as this is almost always incomplete and true totally turn-around and confusing..Thanks
    Lynden,

I am glad this information has been and is helpful to you and others in Florida. It seems no matter where you are there are those who wish to keep information from being available to ones who really need it. Some people feel that the more they know, the more advantage they have against their competitors including those who are supposed to present the information freely when asked. A lot of people who are supposed to know things for the public when asked, you will find they are simply in a position to say they have a job, but know nothing about the requirements of that job. A lot of people want to earn a paycheck but not work for it, this I believe is why so many people do not give answers to questions when asked, because they simply do not know their job well enough or do not care.

I am happy to always provide the information I can find and share it with others who might need it. Not everyone is going to need everything, but it sure helps to know that someone has taken the time to find what they can.

I have found that most public servants are not public servants, they actually simply fill a vacant space.

Lynden Clarke is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

Your assessment of this is right on point Liz,..kudos to you and everyone who does the great job of informing us thus teaching us as we go along. Thank you.

Amy Lynn is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

After reading through this thread I have some questions that unfortunately neither the people in Tallahassee or those at my local licensing office can answer. (believe it or not). Moreover, as was mentioned at the top of this thread I got a different answer from everyone I spoke with, and I lost track of the amount of times I was transferred from person to person because that particular person did not have the answers.

Anyway - If I have well over 2 years of verifiable experience and therefore would be able to obtain my Class C License instead of starting with the CC and purchase the Lifetime Corporate membership will IPIU still assist me in getting a Class A License to operate my own agency (and therefore not have to hire anyone to sponsor me or the agency) and if so would I still have to submit an application to the State of FL for the Class A and still pay whatever fees they require over and above the cost of the lifetime corporate membership.

Also, within the forums I have learned that 65% of cases are NON regulated such as missing persons, background checks, etc. However, unless I am reading the Statute incorrectly it would appear that these cases are in fact regulated.

I am so confused at this point because I am unclear as to what the "benefit" to me would be in having the lifetime corporate membership with the IPIU if I want to actually work cases in a regulated state that requires their PI's to be licensed.

In addition, (and not sure if this is the proper forum) I am unclear as to what kind of cases I can work if I have the IPIU agency in Colorado and live in Florida. If I live in Florida and get an assignment from my website for say a background or missing person case OUTSIDE of the state of FL can I work the case without any legal repercussions.

I apologize for this lengthy post but despite answers I am getting to my questions I remain extremely confused.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lynn View Post
    After reading through this thread I have some questions that unfortunately neither the people in Tallahassee or those at my local licensing office can answer. (believe it or not). Moreover, as was mentioned at the top of this thread I got a different answer from everyone I spoke with, and I lost track of the amount of times I was transferred from person to person because that particular person did not have the answers.
    Answer:
    When IPIU was founded in 1989, we paid someone to obtain copies of all state laws regarding PI licensing.

We then had them call all 50 states and ask them on the phone a simple question: "Do I need a license to be a private investigator?"

Our of 50 states, 65% of them said Yes, 20% of them said "It Depends", and 15% of them said "No".

The 65% of the group who said Yes were misleading the public. The 65% should have answered the question with "It depends". That is because ALL state laws have exemptions for lawful private investigators who are not regulated by their home state.

Phone calls should ALWAYS be backed up by: 1) Get the name of the person you are talking to; 2) Ask them for the statute reference they are referring to; 3) Have a printed copy of the FULL statute ready when you make the phone call.

Otherwise, you have no need to call any licensing office if you already have the statutes in hand that dictate what the phone person should tell you.

"Conversation" is not evidence of a statutory fact.

If I have well over 2 years of verifiable experience and therefore would be able to obtain my Class C License instead of starting with the CC and purchase the Lifetime Corporate membership will IPIU still assist me in getting a Class A License to operate my own agency (and therefore not have to hire anyone to sponsor me or the agency) and if so would I still have to submit an application to the State of FL for the Class A
    Our advice is to make certain that your two-years of verifiable experience meets with what the state expects. Two years is deemed 4000 payroll hours (waged and not self employment). It also requires that your 40000 hours was classified as investigation.

If you meet this, then we advise you skip the Class A license for now - and obtain your C license first.

and still pay whatever fees they require over and above the cost of the lifetime corporate membership.
    Membership costs do not include state fees. The Lifetime Membership benefits are primarily MORE than just getting free help in getting a sponsor. See the following link for what one member says:

Also, within the forums I have learned that 65% of cases are NON regulated such as missing persons, background checks, etc. However, unless I am reading the Statute incorrectly it would appear that these cases are in fact regulated.
    Not necessarily.

In answered this in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...350#post535350

I am so confused at this point because I am unclear as to what the "benefit" to me would be in having the lifetime corporate membership with the IPIU if I want to actually work cases in a regulated state that requires their PI's to be licensed.
    The benefit is listed in the resource links I gave you in the following post link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...249#post535249

In addition, (and not sure if this is the proper forum) I am unclear as to what kind of cases I can work if I have the IPIU agency in Colorado and live in Florida. If I live in Florida and get an assignment from my website for say a background or missing person case OUTSIDE of the state of FL can I work the case without any legal repercussions.
    As a Colorado Agency, you can accept any case (unregulated or regulated). For those that are regulated, I answered how you can make a profit in the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...249#post535249

I apologize for this lengthy post but despite answers I am getting to my questions I remain extremely confused.
    Perhaps you should "walk before you run". Start by determining you do NOT want to be sued personally (even if you have a C License) by incorporating in the most friendly state there is as your headquarters. The set up is 299.99, and the annual renewal thereafter is only 99. per year. Once you have requested your corporation, you will then get upgraded access to the corporation owner's where you can receive personal customized help in determining how you advertise, how you solicit, how you can perform cases in your home state without the need of a Florida license, and how to use Florida licensed PI's to take on cases that you cannot do lawfully or do not have the time.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Member of:

I think my problem is that I want to walk AND run at the same time and thereby making myself "crazy" and confused in the process. I am at a turning point in my life as far as making a career turn. Not change because I have performed investigations most of my career - just as an insurance adjuster.

That being said, you made a very valid point and your advice is well taken.

Also, I think you forgot to provide the link for what one member said about the lifetime corp membership - will you please re post it as I would like to read it.

Thanks again

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Also, I think you forgot to provide the link for what one member said about the lifetime corp membership - will you please re post it as I would like to read it.
    Here it is:

I already have a "sponsor" in the form of the agency for which I currently work part-time . . .

I think you may have missed the chief benefit of upgrading to a lifetime membership. It is not obtaining a week's worth of free legal aid from IPIU to acquire a list of willing sponsors to help you.

Instead, if you are going to be in this business longer than just a few years of paying regular annual dues, then it pays for itself to never have to worry about union dues; or the lifetime benefits for marketing your agency; or having a never ending stream of new clients; or having ongoing inside sources that are not available to the general public; or ever increasing benefits on how to get standard every day monthly business services for free; or know of changes in statutory law that permit you to either maintain your footprint or expand it internationally; and too many other items to list, not to mention that the lifetime corporate membership includes three personal free lifetime memberships that can be used by you for any reason.

The "smaller benefit" is obtaining free legal documents to protect your personal interests in securing several, not just one, licensed private investigators to sponsor your agency. If your primary sponsor cancels for any reason (or dies), then the IPIU team will already have as many backup sponsors already in place to step in (that alone is worth a lifetime of benefits). But this "smaller benefit" is not the "main benefit". Because once you are state licensed through IPIU, you can enjoy the many other benefits that only come from a lifetime membership.

If money is the problem, they have an easy monthly payment plan for as low as $89 per month, which is what I have. If have just recently paid within the last 30 days for either an economy membership ($99) or a professional membership ($150), then you have available an INSTANT CASH CREDIT of $99 to $150 that expires soon. That is cash in hand and can can be used very effectively before it vanishes after the 30 day window expires.

I would encourage you to have a serious personal phone call with your union representative before entering into any long term relationship with a colleague. There is so much more to that process than simply getting someone to say "okay". Even though you may have previous excellent business experience, the IPIU has more than 20 years of specialized experience that many business people are not familiar with. Even the attorneys that IPIU uses are more familiar with the complexity of the overall issues than many US Federal Attorneys. It is because of the specialty of the experience, and not because of the amount of experience in a general field.

Shirley
    Lifetime Member

Member of:

Thank you so much, David. After reading Shirley's post and the many others on the forum, as well as, your detailed response to all of my questions I am giving very serious thought to becoming a lifetime corporate member.

Again, I really do appreciate your help.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4