Thread: PI LICENSING: Oklahoma

PI LICENSING: Oklahoma

Does anyone know the state laws of Oklahoma

Hi Christopher,

First things first:

A) Most members of the International Private Investigators Union who request IPIU to setup a headquarters corporation license for their agency in Colorado (even though the owners may reside outside of Colorado) also request IPIU to set up a professional multi-page website (which rents for $5/month) with a Colorado telephone number (or toll free number) that rings on the owner's cell phone wherever he/she happens to be. All official business, collection of payments from clients, contracts, everything, is headquartered in Colorado and managed online through the agency's web site.

B) Regarding Oklahoma corporation licensing requirements, you do not have to pay for the Oklahoma branch corporation license if the following apply:

1. It is the mail order or a similar business, merely receiving orders by mail or otherwise in pursuance of letters, circulars, catalogs, or other forms of advertising or solicitation, accepting the orders outside this state, and filing them with goods shipped into this state; or

2. It employs salesmen, either resident or traveling, to solicit orders in this state, either by display of samples or otherwise, whether or not maintaining sales offices in this state, all orders being subject to approval at the offices of the corporation without this state, and all goods applicable to the orders being shipped in pursuance thereof from without this state to the vendee or to the seller or his agent for delivery to the vendee, and if any samples kept within this state are for display or advertising purposes only, and no sales, repairs, or replacements are made from stock on hand in this state; or

3. It sells, by contract consummated outside this state, and agrees by the contract, to deliver into this state, machinery, plants or equipment, the construction, erection or installation of which within this state requires the supervision of technical engineers or skilled employees performing services not generally available, and as a part of the contract of sale agrees to furnish such services, and such services only, to the vendee at the time of construction, erection or installation; or

4. Its business operations within this state are wholly interstate in character; or

5. It is an insurance company doing business in this state; or

6. It creates, as borrower or lender, or acquires, evidences of debt, mortgages or liens on real of personal property; or

7. It secures or collects debts or enforces any rights in property securing the same.

Source: Page 2 of http://www.sos.ok.gov/forms/fm0012.pdf

The state office is:

CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement, Education, & Training)
    State of Oklahoma
    405-239-5110
    (or try 405-239-5110, or fax is 405 239-5122)

Here is a link that will provide your answers.

www.ok.gov/cleet/

For email addresses and phone numbers:
    http://www.ok.gov/cleet/About_Us/Ema...ing/index.html

Good luck,
    Deborah Siehl

Disclaimer:
    Comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal, tax, financial, or any other professional advice. If you should require professional, legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for such services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. The posted comments herein are not, nor do they intend to be, a solicitation to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by any member of this website are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Administrators.

If you have an out-of-state private investigators license, and you wish to perform an investigation in Oklahoma, then you may want to call CLEET at 405-239-5110 to obtain a "Temporary License for out-of-state practitioners":

390:35-5-11. Temporary licenses; out-of-state practitioners

Any private investigator, or security guard who is duly licensed in another state as a security guard or private investigator may obtain a temporary license to conduct business in this state subject to the following provisions:

(1) Said private investigator or security guard must immediately, or as soon as possible, register with CLEET;

(2) Provide proof of a valid license granted by another state;

(3) Provide proof of adequate financial responsibility in the form of insurance or surety bond as set forth in the rules of this Chapter; and

(4) Provide a general description of business to be conducted.

(5) No temporary license shall be granted to authorize the possession or use of firearms.

(6) A person obtaining temporary authorization shall not violate any federal, state or municipal laws, or the provisions of the rules of this Chapter.

(7) Any security guard or private investigator who is licensed in another state and conducts business pursuant to this Act for a period of longer than thirty (30) fifteen (15) days, shall be required to obtain a regular license.

Source: Read Page 5 of the following link:
    http://www.ok.gov/cleet/documents/Im...t%20390-35.pdf

Here is a link that will provide your answers.

http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/Security.htm

Good luck,

Deborah,

Thanks for the link. I was looking for somthing just like this.

JeryLyn

AAA Photos in Oklahoma

I just called the AAA office to find out about passport photos. I read in one of the forums a posting that said AAA will give free passport photos if you were a member of their orgainization.

Let me correct that statement. AAA will do the photos for seven dollars for two pictures. There are cheaper places to get the pictures made.

JeryLyn

Re: AAA Photos in Oklahoma

Let me correct that statement. AAA will do the photos for seven dollars for two pictures. There are cheaper places to get the pictures made.

JeryLyn

I have to correct my own statement. I found David Copeland's AAA statement and he was correct. I called AAA back and they said if you were AAA plus members then the photos were free. I'm not.

Thanks again, David.

JeryLynAAA plus members

Patsy W Elders is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I wish I had remembered that AAA did the photos, as I have been a member for many years. But Walgreens also does the photos. It cost me $8.93 for 2 (tax included)!

Question Oklahoma PI

I was wondering about how Oklahoma is with Private Investiagtors. And if anyone living here could gave me some insite on what to expect here. I am looking forward to getting started.

Thanks for any help on advise.

Cheryl Bliton

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Cheryl,i Too Will Be Visiting Ok. For A While,i Plan To Get My Info. From The Public Defenders Office In My County. I Do Not Know Where Else To Turn Too.

Oklahoma PI Laws

Here is the link for Oklahoma PI Laws. Hope it is helpful.
    http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/

Kimberly, thanks I already know about that site. You have to be sponsered or work for an agency. Thats what confuses me. How do you get started here in Oklahoma.???? is there someone here that is already a licensed PI that can guide me in the right direction. I have my resume out there- but no luck.
    Cheryl Bliton
    Badge 10788

Everything always happens for a Reason

Hiya Cheryl,

First off, in Oklahoma, you have to take the couses that are CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) approved. I am in North East Oklahoma and found these courses offered at North East Technology Center in Pryor and Kansas, Oklahoma.

There are 4 Phases offered for the Security Guard/Private Investigator. For PI, you'll only need Phase I and III. Phase IV is the armed affidavit part if you're interested in that.

After these courses are completed, you'll need to take the CLEET State test offered in OK City or Tulsa, in which you have 3 chances to pass with a 70 or better.

Here is the catch 22. After you pass the courses and state test, you'll send in for your PI license application. You have to work for an agency to get only the PI license, otherwise, you'll have to apply for an Agency license as well.

I am at that point now, waiting to save up enough money to send in for my license. I am opening my own agency so it will be a bit more spendy than working for another agency.

I'll try and break it down...

PI License - $66
    Agency License - $200
    Bonding/Insurance -$100
    (Owning your own Agency - Priceless)... lol..

CLEET does allow you to operate an agency out of your home but you'll have to have a listed phone number for it. (More expenses).

It sounds like a lot to prepare for, but in the long run, I'm sure it's worth it.

If I'm understanding this right, with IPIU, after I am licensed, I will be exempt from the testing that they require and after sending in the money for membership here, I should jump to the Level 4 access?

Please help me out on this...

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help out with.

Good Luck,
    Kimberly

Cheryl,

Also check out this site:

http://www.cleet.state.ok.us/Training%20Locations.htm

It lists schools in Oklahoma, by city, that are approved by CLEET.

Although, I don't believe it lists ALL of the schools so check with your nearby schools too.

The main link I posted first has lots of useful information and some phone numbers to call and ask about anything that you might be confused on.

Happy searching...

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

kimberly.great link,you can transfer your training as well as status.

Kim, many thanks for your info. Sorry, I haven't gotten back to you sooner, I have been under the weather. Hope to be 100% soon. thanks again.
    Cheryl Bliton
    Badge 10788

Everything always happens for a Reason

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002

Continuing Education

I wanted to mention that CLEET requires eight (8) hours of continuing education per year that you are licensed.

More information is available at the CLEET website. It lists locations of approved courses, and I saw that at least one is online.

For those of you who don't close to OKC or Tulsa (like me) getting CE online can be very helpful.
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

oklahoma license

I went to the oklahoma information site but could not get the oklahoma licensing laws to come up. Is there another place or is that the only one to go to? Frank

William Brassfield is offline Moderator::
    (On Leave of Absence)

Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Member since 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Haas
    I went to the oklahoma information site but could not get the oklahoma licensing laws to come up. Is there another place or is that the only one to go to? Frank
    Try the CLEET link again, also here is another link:

http://oklegal.onenet.net/oklegal-cg...59-1750.4.html
    Will Brassfield

Where there's a will, there's a way......and I'm Will

Visit our New Home Page: www.ipiu.org

Visit our New Bookstore: www.privateinvestigators.cc

Bobby Jo Davenport is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Professional Member of:

Re: Oklahoma pi laws

Thanks on this cleet info it helped me.
    Bobby Jo Davenport
    Badge#11575

Jason Burnam is offline Licensed Private Investigator

Member of the Private Investigators Forum

Also, if your applying for a license in Oklahoma, CLEET will do an OSBI check, so if you go to OSBI and request the search yourself it will speed up the process.

Another thing you can do is fill out all the required forms, have the OSBI report and drive the forms to Ada and they will issue you a reciept that you can work on till you receive your hard license.

When I received my license/agency license, I had all the forms finished, and the OSBI report in hand, drove to Ada to turn it all in, and had my hard license and Agency license the following week. Doing that is a lot faster than the normal month wait time if you just mail the paperwork in with out the OSBI search in the packet.

Hope that help some what also.

Lance Edwards is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:

ok i look alot places and i cant find out what job need a private investigators license and what job do not in plain english in oklahoma ..can any 1 help and if u going send me to a site send me to a site please sind correct link and also one that goes dirctly to info i need...thax ahead time

oo y btw this ? is do to i thinking of doing the colorado agency and wondering what i can do with out private investigators license for oklahoma

Member of:

also 1 more think does oklahoma have badge regulation is it in the 37 states that have no badge restrictions?? is so then what are thay?

Professional Member of:

Lance here ya go Bud,
    Hope this helps.

State of Oklahoma Cleet
    2401 Egypt Rd
    Ada, OK 74820 Map
    (580) 310-6647 Be the first to review!
    ]

Member of:

i know about cleet and thats just if u want get a private investigators license for oklahoma thay dont give any info on badgeing or cases u can do with out private investigators license..its do to thay get money if u take the classes ...i need now the laws of with out cleet thay only tell me i need them but i know that not true i asked the tulsa police thay said yes some cases can do with out private investigators license but thay not sure what 1s i have look it up ..so help ??

Professional Member of:

Lance the way to do it is just move your self right in the POLICE DEPT OR SHERIFF DEPT
    and let them know what you can do and if it's was me I Would just give them a taste not to much and, [ DON'T LET THEM KNOW ONLY WHAT YOU WANT, COZ A GOOD MAN IS HARD TO FIND. ] They will watch.
    Bobby Jo Davenport
    Badge # 11575

Member of:

aaaa what?

Professional Member of:

http://www.ok.gov/cleet/
    Here You All Maybe

Professional Member of:

Now That I've got you all here, look we are all in the same club if we are trying and we are wrong or right it does not matter what doe matter is we pick our salfs back up keep going !! COZ WE ARE I.P.I.U. MEMBERS !!and thats it OK.
    THATS WHAT CARRIE UNDERWOOD DID COZ SHE LIVED DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME IN CHECOTAH,OKLAHOMA 74426
    Bobby Jo Davenport
    Badge # 11575

Member of:

did not help still cant find or get any 1 tell me on badge laws of OK.

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Edwards View Post
    did not help still cant find or get any 1 tell me on badge laws of OK.
    Lance, so what you need is:

1) The list of types of unregulated cases you can lawfully perform versus the list of regulated cases where you need to work with a licensed PI?

2) Badge laws, and how they may or may not apply to the custom badges IPIU sells that are lawful and why the IPIU badges are lawful in all states?

(I will get you the answers)

Donna

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Member of:

yes that is what i need thax

Does anyone know if a Texas Private Investigator can go into Oklahoma and help solve a case? Such as a child abuse case. An attorney told a client to hire a PI to go up there and help get information about this such case.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Bruce View Post
    Does anyone know if a Texas Private Investigator can go into Oklahoma and help solve a case? Such as a child abuse case. An attorney told a client to hire a PI to go up there and help get information about this such case.
    Read the following link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...422#post531422

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    BBB A+ Rating Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 28th Year Serving 47,932 Members
    CALL IPIU TODAY TO JOIN: 406-534-0251

Barb Walsh is offline Private Investigator Forum Member
    Corporate Agency Owner

Re: PI LICENSING: Oklahoma

I have contacted CLEET with specific questions regarding the title Case Examiner and what types of cases are NOT regulated in Oklahoma. I will post this when I get it from them-ASAP.
    I could not find out from their site about the answers to these questions.
    I have already been thru the training and taken the test once, but missed the 70%, so I have to go back and do it again. Is anyone planning to go tothe testing center in Broken Arrow in the next 2 months for their own test? I will pay gas to get a ride.
    Barb Walsh

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Walsh View Post
    I have contacted CLEET with specific questions regarding the title Case Examiner and what types of cases are NOT regulated in Oklahoma. I will post this when I get it from them-ASAP.
    I could not find out from their site about the answers to these questions.
    If you are receiving their answers to your questions by email, please forward the entire email to usa@ipiu.org so that we have a copy.

If you are receiving their answers to your questions by postal mail, please either:

a) Scan each page and email us a copy of the image to usa@ipiu.org

or

b) Fax the letter pages to 775-997-0432

or

c) Mail photocopies to:

IPIU
    PO Box 1172
    Bigfork, MT 59911-1172

Jessica Woodrow is offline **
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Campbell View Post
    Hiya Cheryl,

First off, in Oklahoma, you have to take the couses that are CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) approved. I am in North East Oklahoma and found these courses offered at North East Technology Center in Pryor and Kansas, Oklahoma.

There are 4 Phases offered for the Security Guard/Private Investigator. For PI, you'll only need Phase I and III. Phase IV is the armed affidavit part if you're interested in that.

After these courses are completed, you'll need to take the CLEET State test offered in OK City or Tulsa, in which you have 3 chances to pass with a 70 or better.

Here is the catch 22. After you pass the courses and state test, you'll send in for your PI license application. You have to work for an agency to get only the PI license, otherwise, you'll have to apply for an Agency license as well.

I am at that point now, waiting to save up enough money to send in for my license. I am opening my own agency so it will be a bit more spendy than working for another agency.

I'll try and break it down...

PI License - $66
    Agency License - $200
    Bonding/Insurance -$100
    (Owning your own Agency - Priceless)... lol..

CLEET does allow you to operate an agency out of your home but you'll have to have a listed phone number for it. (More expenses).

It sounds like a lot to prepare for, but in the long run, I'm sure it's worth it.

If I'm understanding this right, with IPIU, after I am licensed, I will be exempt from the testing that they require and after sending in the money for membership here, I should jump to the Level 4 access?

Please help me out on this...

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if there is anything else I may be able to help out with.

Good Luck,
    Kimberly
    This is great information, Kim. Included in the expenses are the Phase I and III classes. Depending on the cost of classes at the technology center where you are located, you should add approximately $250 to $300 to that total.

Jessica

Jessica Woodrow is offline **
    Private Investigator Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Copeland View Post
    If you are receiving their answers to your questions by email, please forward the entire email to usa@ipiu.org so that we have a copy.

If you are receiving their answers to your questions by postal mail, please either:

a) Scan each page and email us a copy of the image to usa@ipiu.org

or

b) Fax the letter pages to 775-997-0432

or

c) Mail photocopies to:

IPIU
    PO Box 1172
    Bigfork, MT 59911-1172
    Mr. Copeland,

Did you ever receive the above information?