Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Private Investigator heads to prison.

Gwendolyn Odom Guest

Unhappy Celebrity investigator heads to prison

This article is from CNN.com:
    Monday, November 17, 2003 Posted: 12:03 PM EST (1703 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Anthony Pellicano, the private eye to the stars who is going to prison for possessing illegal explosives, says he won't cooperate with authorities investigating whether he secretly taped conversations of celebrities and their lawyers.

Pellicano, who was to report to the Federal Detention Center in Los Angeles on Monday, also said the lawyers and celebrities he worked for over the years are innocent.

"They did nothing wrong," he was quoted as saying in Monday's Los Angeles Times. "The government should leave them alone. And me, I'm going to take this punishment like a man. I will not participate in any way, shape or form with this investigation."

Pellicano, 59, has provided detective work and security and sometimes acted as spokesman for such stars as Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson and Sylvester Stallone. He pleaded guilty last month to illegally possessing military-style explosives and hand grenades found during a raid of his office last year. He is expected to serve 27 to 33 months.

Pellicano said he has rejected offers of leniency in exchange for his cooperation with the wiretapping investigation, adding that private investigators "must maintain the confidentiality of every client in every investigation."

Federal officials have declined to discuss their investigation, but several people have confirmed that FBI agents have interviewed them about Pellicano.

Authorities have said they found transcripts of purported wiretaps placed on celebrities and their lawyers when they raided his office. Pellicano said he is challenging the legality of the raid, adding the search warrants authorities served were overly broad.

The raid was part of the investigation of a June 2002 threat against Los Angeles Times reporter Anita Busch, who was looking into actor Steven Seagal's alleged mob connections. She found a dead fish and a rose on her car, along with a cardboard sign saying "Stop."

An ex-convict awaiting trial on charges he made the threat said it was Pellicano who hired him to do it. Pellicano and Seagal have denied any involvement.

Unhappy PI 2 Jail

Unfortunate but great that he still holds to his client/professional confidentiality. It is so important to the legitimacy of our work.
    OTW

I agree that it is comendable that he is upholding his clients confidentiality but I wonder about his methods and if they are legal.

I will interested in the outcome of this case.

I do respect the part about keeping confidentiality between the client, but we got to understand one thing he broke the law a PI is supposed to uphold the law. But again a Catholic Preist is also supposed to keep confidentiality also when it comes to confessions. But if he whats to take the blame and the fall for the whole thing there is nothing no one can do about it. So I don't know what to thank.

I do agree with above postings. He deserves a lot of credit for not reveilling any info to authorities concerning client's.

I think it's interesting how he maintains confidentiality with his clients but has broken the law himself. The legal problems going on with celebrities and their investigators is a real epidemic today. It's a catch-22 situation.

While it is commendable that he is adamant about keeping with the confidentiality rule, he still broke the law that he has sworn to uphold. Maybe working with celebrities has gone to his head or something. One can tend to go "overboard" when making big money.

He seems to me to be overly emphatic about keeping his clients confidentiality. He seems to be trying to play the martyr which would lead me to wonder if he is involved in far worse crimes that if he were to release client information, it might implicate him in those crimes.

Something to think about.

Laura Casey

Laura, I agree with you a 100% and maybe he has connection with the MOB that if he tells on them, they may kill him. That is one thing us PI or Soon to be PI need to watch for. Watch who you are working for, don't be afraid check on them or get so anxious to get a case started check on that client if you half to do a background check on the client do it ,because if not you may just be geting yourself stuck into something you never what to get involved in. And the time you find out that the client had underground connections it maybe to late.

You all have very valid points

I agree with all of the above replies. Something is a little askew here in this story. I think something is wrong with this PI's remarks. I too think that some how he is in bed with the mob.

If the connection to Anita Busch (the rose, dead fish and "Stop" sign) is a fact, this strongly indicates a mob involvement.
    27 to 33 months in prison would be a much more attractive picture than a penalty given (and executed) by the mob. If the perspective of jail term would be 27 to 33 years I think he might cooperate.

However, the case contains an element still unclear (at least as presented in the article): Did he provide details about the reasons
    of posessing explosives?

Question

All of the comments are interesting, however, my question is once he serves his time in prison will he be able to still legally work as a PI or will he work illegally for the mob? I would like to see how this turns out as well.

VictoriaTBrown Guest

Lightbulb

Great for him holding up to the integrity of PI. But are the tactics he is using legal?

Jason Davis Guest
    I don't see how you can justify a raid on the word of an ex-con

Jason,

I agree with you, but that's how the law works sometimes. When I worked with the US Border Patrol, we busted some illegal immigrants coming across the border with about 200 lbs. of marijuana on his back. A couple of months prior an agent got shot and killed, so the agent that busted this guy, fired a burst over his head with a 9mm sub-machine gun. US Border Patrol policy is that they do not fire warning shots, but under the circumstances I thought it was justified. Well, the Border Patrol agent got suspended for two weeks on the word of the drug carrying illegal immigrant, which by the way, was terrified. Our laws are supposed to protect the innocent, but lawyers find loop holes that give those who are trying to circumvent the law a way out.

I commend this detective for protecting his clients integrity, and his admittance of guilt for having illegal explosives. His willingness to accept his punishment is also commendable, but two things bother me about this story. What was he doing with military grade explosives, and why would he put himself in a situation to even be implicated by an ex-con? Furthermore, why would he have illegal wire taps in his possession? It seems to me that he has broken more laws than he is trying to uphold.
    Thomas M. Simpson, Jr.

PI in the slammer.

I hope he'll be able to get his PI license back.

I hope that he had a good reason for having military explosives (grenades?) in his office. Who knows, maybe someone is setting him up. You're innocent until proven guilty, but this whole story just doesn't sound right. First, he had explosives for which he has stated that he will serve the sentence for the possession (guilty). Secondly, there has been the discovery of notes stating that he has wire taps on some of his clients and their lawyers (legal?). I won't even count the accusation of the ex-con, but there still remains the question of why. Why did he have military explosives, why did he have taps on some of his clientele, and why is this ex-con accusing him of ordering the death threat of a reporter. If has a good reason, which I doubt, I hope for him to be able to continue being a PI. On the other hand, it's a lesson learned, be careful of who you are doing business with.
    Thomas M. Simpson, Jr.

interesting...

that he has provided detective work for michael jackson, and that the raid of his office was prior to the arrest of michael jackson...
    perhaps there is no connection to that...
    but then again...
    going after one person for the purpose of going after a different person has been known to happen in this crazy world of ours...

It happens a lot.

This is a very interesting case with so many unanswered questions.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

Clarification

As an ex-USAF civil engineer, my curiosity was piqued at the description of "military style" explosives. I was not aware of a particular "style" of explosives that are specific to the military, considering that the military buys explosives from commercial manufacturers. It seems to me like a bit of sensationalistic journalism on the part of CNN. Did he have C-4, RDX, Det Cord, and more importantly, why did he have it?
    This story definitely creates more questions than answers, but considering the factors, a PI, some celebrities, some explosives, and CNN, and I imagine that it will get even more confusing still.

I do however, applaud his observation of client confidentiality, and willingness to own up to his wrongdoings and openly accept the consequences.

Abe King

30 years ago Tony Pellicano sent me to Springfield, VA for PSE school at DEKTOR Counterintelligence and Security ... a two week engagement at his expense. He was working out of Chicago in those days, and may or may not have been "connected." As a young man, he was very assertive, well spoken, low key, and had the confidence and respect of those with whom and for whom he worked. I don't imagine that image deteriorated just because he moved to la-la land.
    As a working journalist in Miami, and later as a county official, I had many opportunities to observe cops in action--generally, they brook no challenges. I think Pellicano is a victim of a "gotcha" move by cops coordinating efforts to discredit him, knowing that he uses the same undercover methods they employ. We know that fertilizer and petroleum products are explosive, so if he had yard support in his office, that would be enough to hang his arse.
    When one works with celebrities, celebrity wears ... beware.

After reading this I am confused ? What he did was a good thing to keep his client information to himself. But where I get confused is with the Explosives? I know some people who have a fake hand grenades on their desk with a sign that said Pick a Number on the Pin. And they look just like the ones we used in Viet Nam. Being a exmilitary person, who knows that all fake weapons such as bombs and hand grenades are paited blue or some other bright color other than the OD green. Now who said that the hand grenades were live ones or just fake ones?
    Bill Van Meter
    Badge # 10038

Question Celebrity PI heads to Prison.....

There are a lot of un-answered questions in the story, possesion of Military Explosives, how did he get them and why...what is his motive for even having this material, etc....he kept the clients integrity which is great, but what about his other connections and upcoming plans to utilize the explosives............?

Thumbs up P.I. To Jail Good!

Tiffiny Dixon
    You know this may sound backwards.So help me understand this!This man has recorded conversation of his client's,And there associates.He then hired someone to threaten a member of the press,because he did'nt like the fact that she was questioning him about his possible mob connection.First of all I know he has an duty to protect his client by all means.But who protect's that person whom is not the client?Who protect's everyone that under the Constitution has freedoom of speech?But most of all who protect's us from someone like this P.I. that has taken the time to study the law,sign that Code Of Ethic's,go through all the training you must endure just to make more money? Instead of honest money.Which is what his krookedness has finally got him. Which I don't think is enough time to have to do!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn Odom
    This article is from CNN.com:

Thumbs down Celebrity Thug for Hire lands himself in Prison

This story is interesting, lots of unanswered questions. One things for sure is that his career is over. Well, from what I understand the illegal explosives charge is a felony count.

Perhaps the Feds were out to get him since 1984 for destroying a key original tape in Washington while reviewing the video evidence of sport-car manufacturer John DeLorean securing a multi-million dollar drug transaction, and then intimidating the star government witness (Anthony Pellicano Background.) DeLorean went free.

It seems to me this guy has been operating on the edge for some time; he has a history of illegal wiretapping and intimidation tactics and at times his chief creditors for his operations have had close ties to the Mob.

"Mess with fire and your going to get burned"
    Last edited by John R Palmer; 03-30-2004 at 02:18 PM.

Tiffiny perhaps I can answer these:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffiny Dixon

You know this may sound backwards.So help me understand this! This man has recorded conversation of his client's, And there associates. He then hired someone to threaten a member of the press, because he did'nt like the fact that she was questioning him about his possible mob connection. First of all I know he has an duty to protect his client by all means. But who protect's that person whom is not the client? Who protect's everyone that under the Constitution has freedoom of speech? But most of all who protect's us from someone like this P.I. that has taken the time to study the law
    The law enforcement officials protect these people. This is why PI field is regulated to make sure practices are legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffiny Dixon
    sign that Code Of Ethic's,go through all the training you must endure just to make more money? Instead of honest money.Which is what his krookedness has finally got him. Which I don't think is enough time to have to do!
    I'm not entirely sure of his training background, I know he was a cryptographer for the army, but he wasn't a member of IPIU (didn't sign our COE) to the best of my knowledge. Click on the link in my post above to learn about his background and how he went about obtaining his experience for licensing.

Hope that helps!

I agree, the whole thing is a little strange. And there are a few unanswered questions. I haven't really begun working in the industry yet, but I can't think of too many times off the top of my head that I would need to use hand granades and military explosives!!!

John,

Thank you for the link regarding Anthony Pellicano Background. It was very informative, interesting, and enlightening read. I learned so much from it.
    Bridgett Brown

Badge #6997

I agree with Richard, don't be so anxious to take any case and do background checks.
    The thing we all want to know is why would he have military explosives! There are a lot of missing pieces that will be interesting to follow.

Lightbulb P I to Jail

It is good that he can maintain some morals although it is evident most left him a long time ago. I'm sure he will be out soon. History has shown a long war between government and entertainment. Entertainment usually wins. M

This guy, Pellicano, gets my approval...He is the type of guy this business need...Not some punk who would do whatever it takes to get their behinds out of jail...You are the MAN.

Unhappy Awareness is Key

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Lewis
    Awareness is Key
    Yes it certainly is. This article & case has way too many unanswered questions and too little information to know exactly what is what. It however is a good way to say PROCEED WITH CAUTION, in this field in general and especially in dealing with high profile people.

When doing business with rich, famous, powerful, and possibly mob-connected persons, there are many dangers. Not the least of which is not knowing what pretext your clients are using, and whether or not you are being used as a fall guy/gal. Realizing too, that to someone who “has it all”, you can count on being viewed as a commodity. In their eyes you are NOT their equal, you are LESS than they are, simply becuase you are a nobody, so you may very easily be lied to and used by those who are paying you. If you think that this is a harsh judgement, think again, and remember that all that glitters is not gold.

Call me paranoid, but being with and dealing with influential and powerful people, who can buy their way out of almost anything, as well as buy their way into almost anything, is more dangerous and more intoxicating than drinking a quart of Bourbon. It becomes easy to be snared and not even know, that you are the fly caught in the spiders web.

Also, my observations are that if you work against Law Enforcement, either as a person or at some point in your career, you can best bet that they will come back and bite you when they have a chance. They are rarely in a hurry to do so either, as they have the advantage in time, manpower, and all the right tools. LEO’s make much better allies than they do adversaries.

Best advice is be very aware of all things at all times. Maybe due to the private nature of this work, combined with the absence of a sounding board, an individual P.I. could make serious errors in judgment. Sounds like Pellicano may have believed he was invincible and still does.

One thing I am certain of is this: IPIU provides at Level 4 a safe environment for serious discussion with other P.I.'s and I have to believe that choosing to be a part of this will keep all of us in check. If someone decides to go it alone, and dance with danger & dangerous characters, rest assured that someone will have to pay for the music being danced to. We have the John Grogan Forum at our fingertips, and whether or not he posts replies, all the contact information for him is contained therein. We have a choice here, to not be a solo loose cannon. For anyone who thinks, and I recently read a post where one newcomer was advising another newcomer that he should save his money, and that he wishes he had, because he got nothing out the money he spent.

You get out of it, what you put into it, and Rome was not built in a day. Sure I am proceeding somewhat with trust, being as I’m new myself, but the persons I have connected with via these forums, who are traveling this road with me, and with whom I’ve formed bonds through interacting on these forums are all the reason in the world for me to continue. When I do arrive at level 4, I already have “comrades” who I know, like and trust.

I guess what I want to say is that this article is a great testimony to me of why we are here. How we can prevent problems before we have to cure them. And how wonderfull it is to have all the combined years of experience here to assist and guide us.

Be safe, be careful, and realize that the relatively small personal investment we make to IPIU, can prevent us from becoming too smug, too cocky, and in thinking we are in control.

My guess is that Pellicano will be well paid for his silence and nowadays too many people can be bought for the right price. Unfortunately “The Almighty Dollar” has become too many peoples God and sole purpose for living. You couldn’t pay me enough money to lose my freedom, and be in a penal institution for a day. Not someplace I want to be confined to. I’d rather be as I am now, struggling financially, but struggling on my own terms, with the daily possibility that in the weeks and months to come I’ll get it right and get out of debt. Meanwhile I can still walk out my door and smell my roses if I choose. To me that is priceless.
    Last edited by Dabra J Grant -; 05-27-2004 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Correct grammar
    Dabra J Grant "DJ"
    "Knowledge is Power." Francis Bacon

I agree,the whole thing is a little strange . why would he have military Explosives !

Private Investigator to Jail

If you break the Law then you will have to pay for it. I do agree with the Administrator that it happens alot. I hope that the PI knew what he was doing. I very much apprecite for learning more that PI heads to prison.

Petra Post - is offline Retired Administrator
    ***** Certified SPI

Former Insignio Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum
    Dabra,
    Well said, again. I guess we will see what happens to him in the long run. Definitely lots of unanswered questions. Thanks everybody for sharing.

Flora Porter is offline * Certified SPI
    Distinguished Member of Private Investigators Forum

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Hi Thomas,

Good point you made. "why would he have illegal wire taps and illegal explosives"
    There are still some unanswered questions. Makes one wonder about the possibility mob connection. As well as the PI integrity.

Flora

This is an interesting story but, my questions are, have there been any updates since this story was posted? Has any new information been found and have any of the interesting questions that were posted by the other members been answered?

Yolanda Quizhpi Guest

Unhappy

Hello Forum Members,

The article is very interested because of the confidentiality, but like everyone else, there are questions that need solution or answers that are not making the whole report. For instance, maybe they had a confidentiality agreement. An agreement entered into between a law firm and an employee or other agent in which the employee or agent agrees to keep client information confidential. Maybe he is not even going to prison, but to a witness protection program.

And, I do have to say thank you to the members that give tips about doing work for other people. individuals or corporations. Money makes the world go around. But just remember you are the one that works hard for it, you are one that took the time to invest in your career, you are the one that probably had to sacrifice something in life, to get where you are now. Think about the times you had to turn your friends down, because you had to study for an exam or had an obligation to attend.

Remember, you are not alone. We all here had to give up something for something, but only to better ourselves. Never let anyone influence you for worse, hold your head up high, and live your life. You can be the professional P.I. you dreamed of. And, above all, do make background checks on your clients that want to hire you for a service. Especially if they have been in prison for serving time and just want to get revenge. Don't let them turn you into a scapgoat.

Have a great evening.

PI to jail

I am not sure that I understand others applauding this guy. He broke one law, and from what I read, possibly many others. That is not the kind of person that I want to be associated with. Confidentiality is a wonderful thing, but not at the cost of doing business in his fashion. How many people did he terrorize, or have others terrorize. I am astonished that his clients did not check him out as well. Results, even if dirty, can be bought. I guess because of my background, I am a sceptic by nature and programming. I hope that he gets all that the law can throw at him.

Yolanda Quizhpi Guest
    Hello Jolene Devries,

I understand your point of view. But you got to remember the law says, "Innocent until proven guilty. And from our prospective we can't go around judging others from our own stand point. There are many issues here going on today, that we aren't happy about the outcome of the verdict, some get harder penalties than others, while others get a simple reprimand.

Many juveniles today, are probably the ones that are filling the court systems, more faster than an adult. I, for one would like to see a census done, on the juvenile system, and see why many are there in the first place, many do lack the necessary parenthood, most were probably born out of weblock. This are the children that deserve a second chance. An adult would probably know "right from wrong" but children are children and they don't stand a second chance being locked up or sent away.

They will learn bad habits from others that could care less one way or another, they know they are there for life.

We as investigators are the gatherer of facts and not of our own opinion or hearsay.
    The facts speak for themselves.

The saying goes on to say, "Bring me evidence or drop the case for lack of evidence."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast