Thread: Keeping my head up as IPIU takes me where I want to go.

Keeping my head up as IPIU takes me where I want to go.

In Georgia, the state will license an individual to be a PI if they have a 4 year degree in criminal justice, have been doing PI work for 2 years, or have 2 years law enforment experience mostly as a police officer.

I am currently a P O S T certified peace officer in GA, but my background comes from a correctional/ detention enviroment. I've done this for 4 years.

Many times I hear from "agencies" that my law enforcement experience would not be recognized by the examining board.

For some one trying to make this their career it can be discomforting. Most agencies will understand that you have passed a course and merited a certificate and are trying to come on entry level.

Though also at times there is no cases to work on, or you don't possess enough experience, or don't have a license so they won't use you.

Some see it as a risk and others don't have either the resources or the time to train entry level investigators.

I'm sure there are some who will read this and have either been there, or are there now. I write this to say that joining the International Private Investigators Union can open up doors in this business in places where one may find themself stuck.

I've been blessed to undertake projects with PI firms, but I still feel stuck. I believe that many union members and their personal experiences can help us all, and that the training manuals and the placements will further that goal.

I am a new member and I wanted to extend to other new members that this is good way to start out when you seem stuck.

I believe one hundred percent that IPIU will take me where I wish to be in my career, and I recommend that anyone finding themselves stuck to join the International Private Investigtators Union and have an advocate here to to get them in the right direction.

Re: keeping my head up.

Hi Alvin,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and your thoughts. I moved your post here to the Testimonials Forum so that others can benefit from your inspiration.

Unhappy

Alvin,

I am so sorry to hear your sad story. I know that things will look up for you sooner than you know. Just because one door closed does not mean another will not open.

You will do great here! You will probally receive more job offers than you can handle. I hope things go smoother for you.

You have a wonderful weekend.
    Kisha Drill
    Badge Number 6988

Aloha! Alvin,

You are in the right place and made a great decision to join IPIU. Many doors has closed, but more will open with great opportunity for growth. I wish you the best of luck and many more journeys to a successful career. Have a great weekend and remember that your higher power didn't bring you this far to drop you.........

Aloha,
    Sunya N. Nardo

With A Power Greater Than Yourself
    All Things Is Possible.........

Badge# 6821

Sometimes the doubts and insecurities seem to scream out at me, then I read a testimonial like yours, and I feel enheartened. Thank you for sharing.

Re: keeping my head up.

Hello Alvin,

I'm a new member 50 years old, with no previous law enforcement experience trying to start a new career. Oh yeah, I know what you mean about feeling stuck.

We're both fortunate to have IPIU members and moderators to guide us in the right direction. I know with a little patience I will reach level 4 and I WILL BE GIVEN ASSIGNMENTS that I will succeed in and so shall you.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

Mary
    I am grandmom's baby

Keep your head up !

Alvin, here at IPIU you found the means to fulfill your vocation: the desired creer. Also, you got already friends to help with their experience, advices and encouragement. You was inspired when sharing your concerns with us.

Dragos

Alvin,
    I to know what you are saying, I have over 20 years working in the Security field in different forms, 4 years of studying Criminal Justice, Private Investigation and Security Management and I felt the same way you did, I guess I still do but after reading your story I feel better, maybe with alittle bit more patience I will make it. Good luck.

Been awhile but it's still up

First off, I would like to take this time to say thank you to all that have read and responded to my thread.

Secondly, I wish to say hello to all the members new and existing to the forum. It has been quite some time since my last posting here.

I have re-entered school in the pursuit of my criminal justice degree. I 've spent the last couple of quarters maintaining a 4.0 gpa and joining the Phi Theta Kappa honor society.

I was on a 2 month undercover assignment in my hometown of New York City and I decided that I wanted to learn as much as I could about criminal law, plus I still had an extensive hunger for knowledge after PI school.

I've been doing quite a number of things with myself these months. Battling back from unemployment and seeking new investigative oppurtunities, as well as balancing college.

I realized that I have unfinished business with the IPIU because I stumbled across membership documents that I thought were previously sent off. I still believe in the IPIU and I am sending in my documents shortly.

I was tutoring a classmate in criminology and they saw my photo credentials. I gave them some information and told them of how I learned of the organization. Hopefully they will join IPIU.

Meanwhile I will do better in posting and replying to the forums in the future. I am trying to inhance my future in so many ways I 've been all over the place. I am sure there are many others out there on the same path.

I would love to hear your stories and encouragment as we all strive in this future.

Alvin,

In Florida you have to have one years of criminal justice and a year of apprentiship to obtain your license. I have contacted many agencies and asked them to take me on as an apprentice even at no charge if necessary and the response I got was not overwhelming in one case the guy wanted to go meet for in his words "Coffee Hee Hee" I told him an interview would surfice at his place of business but I would not meet him for what he meant was drinks. I want to be treated with respect and as a professional.

I may not have a license yet but I am an educated woman and I now the difference when someone is on that level or up to something else.

I hope that joining the IPIU family helps others see that I want to be treated with integrity and for the knowledge I have and not because I am a female.

Roberta
    AKA Robin

Well you should definitely be respected for who you are, and your work should speak for you also. I am sure that things will pick up for you as you embark on your career as we all are. It can be rough and frustrating to get in this business, and what I am getting alot of is, that it seems most companies and seasoned investigators do not wish to take on anyone who is not established or licensed rather. I applied for a job recently with a firm who was seeking an enrty-level position for an investigator, and shortly after applying I received an email that stated though my resume looks good, a license says to our clients that you are more of a professional and serious about your work. What says otherwise now? I even had a conversation with the gentleman, and informed him of my present status, like being in school, and looking for someplace where I can learn and grow. Well obviously it wasn't there, or my time for that place anyway. We need sites an organization like these, because different states have different requirements to meet licensing standards, and not too many places seem to advocate for training and molding new investigators. I try not to sweat this too much as earning a degree can be overwhelming at times, and I believe that mine along with everyone elses time will come. In latency, we can build up more knowledge that will make us stand out just that much more when it arrives. And in that, will lead to other oppurtunitiies. Use that frustration to learn more and do what you do better. It is what helps me maintain my 4.0 gpa in school.

Thank you. I feel that you were directing your comment to me. I dont want to get discouraged.

Hi Alvin, I can relate to the feeling of discouragment. I have been hitting brick walls my whole journey. I was trying to become a police officer so that i could eventually get into criminal investigation..after many many attempts to meet all requirements I eventually got my dreams smashed. I almost quit college (4.0 in every class!) but then decided that I will not let this beat me! Changing complete direction after planning everything over the last year and a half was discouraging, but I feel that the more I read and get into this site...the more confident I will feel with my new career goals. Thanks you for sharing with us. Good luck to you in the future and God bless!

Andrea Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta A Bryant
    Alvin,

In Florida you have to have one years of criminal justice and a year of apprentiship to obtain your license. I have contacted many agencies and asked them to take me on as an apprentice even at no charge if necessary and the response I got was not overwhelming in one case the guy wanted to go meet for in his words "Coffee Hee Hee" I told him an interview would surfice at his place of business but I would not meet him for what he meant was drinks. I want to be treated with respect and as a professional.

I may not have a license yet but I am an educated woman and I now the difference when someone is on that level or up to something else.

I hope that joining the IPIU family helps others see that I want to be treated with integrity and for the knowledge I have and not because I am a female.

Roberta
    AKA Robin
    Robin, thank you for putting a little information on FL in your post. I too am in FL and being new to this whole scene I feel a little lost. If you feel like sharing any information with me I would greatly appreciate it. I also am a woman and I know what you mean about drooling employers. lol We will show them we have brains! Good luck and stay safe.

Andrea Davis

Jerome O Isaac-- is offline Sr. Distinguished Member:
    Private Investigators Forum

2007 Honorary Ambassador of Good Will
    Greetings Alvin, you've come a long way since your Testimonial, I also want to say Congratulations on any accomplishment you’ve had since joining IPIU. You’ve made a wonderful choice when you joined IPIU, thanks for sharing your story with us and keep up the good work.

I would also like to say a special hello to Roberta, I do understand the difficulties one goes through in these situations, I'm glad it hasen't discourage your from pursuing your goals.

Thanks you both for posting your Testimonial.

Have a great day.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin C Brown Jr
    In Georgia, the state will license an individual to be a PI if they have a 4 year degree in criminal justice, have been doing PI work for 2 years, or have 2 years law enforment experience mostly as a police officer.

I am currently a P O S T certified peace officer in GA, but my background comes from a correctional/ detention enviroment. I've done this for 4 years.

Many times I hear from "agencies" that my law enforcement experience would not be recognized by the examining board.

For some one trying to make this their career it can be discomforting. Most agencies will understand that you have passed a course and merited a certificate and are trying to come on entry level.

Though also at times there is no cases to work on, or you don't possess enough experience, or don't have a license so they won't use you.

Some see it as a risk and others don't have either the resources or the time to train entry level investigators.

I'm sure there are some who will read this and have either been there, or are there now. I write this to say that joining the International Private Investigators Union can open up doors in this business in places where one may find themself stuck.

I've been blessed to undertake projects with PI firms, but I still feel stuck. I believe that many union members and their personal experiences can help us all, and that the training manuals and the placements will further that goal.

I am a new member and I wanted to extend to other new members that this is good way to start out when you seem stuck.

I believe one hundred percent that IPIU will take me where I wish to be in my career, and I recommend that anyone finding themselves stuck to join the International Private Investigtators Union and have an advocate here to to get them in the right direction.
    I'm reaching for the stars too. There is nothing you can't do. I 'm finishing up(4 weeks left) my associates and, in august I will be starting on my bachelors. I've also started Jujitsu training. I'll see you in the FBI!

Keep your chins up guys. It could be worse....In Illinois, the time frame is 5 years workin for an agency, 3 years with an assoc. degree, or 2 w/ a bach. degree.

Lynne Knight is offline Certified Distinguished Member
    Private Investigators Forum

(Retired Moderator)
    Corporate Agency Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Talking Hello, Alvin -

Congratulations on your perseverance, friend! Since it's been over a year since you've posted and updated us in this thread on your progress, I'd love to see you stop back in and let us know how you're doing. Hopefully - it's still onward and upward.

~ Lynne ~

Stay positive Alvin!
    Many people in this union have had many road blocks thrown infront of them. Stay positive and keep working hard, things will work out.

D.Newman