Thread: What is a Case Examiner versus a Private Investigator?

Do you have to have a PI license in any state to be a Case Examiner?

What is a Case Examiner versus a Private Investigator?

I believe the IPIU Legal Affairs department suggests using the title "Case Examiner" to separate unregulated cases for private investigators (typically those that do not require a state PI license because of who they work for or what types of assignments they do) from regulated cases that licensed private investigators are supposed to do.

First Read this link about "Unregulated Cases versus Regulated Cases for Private Investigators and Case Examiners":
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?14730

and this:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...173#post183173

Check in this licensing forum for your particular state topic:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisp...-Investigators

Once you locate your specific state topic in the above link, see which exempted private investigator jobs your state has listed that are unregulated. The exempted areas can be performed by either private investigators working for an exempted employers or businesses that apply to your state topic, or can be worked personally by you as a "case examiner" or "intelligence agent" or "corporate investigator" or some other title that does not include the phrase "private investigator".

Wishing you the best!

Re: I'm no legal authority

Thanks Chad.
    Larry Irwin

badge #4018

My position as a trainee is a Case Examiner, how long does one need to have experience before he or she can apply for their state license.

Felice Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Felice Dunn
    My position as a trainee is a Case Examiner, how long does one need to have experience before he or she can apply for their state license.

Felice Dunn
    Felice,
    Call IPIU at 406-534-0251 and ask them about getting you a sponsor for your state PI License (which only takes 2 weeks if you upgrade your union membership). Otherwise, most states will have you wait 3 years.

Again Welcome!
    Barbara Compton

So if I understand right, I am a Case Examiner as long as I am in training. What happens if I get licensed and still want to be a case examiner? Please do not get me wrong, I like to succeed in everything that I do, but I would like to be a case examiner. Someone please help me with this. Thank you very much.

Shannon Marble is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Union Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I would also like to know more about being a case exaaminer. It didn't state any information on that in the packet I got from Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marble
    I would also like to know more about being a case exaaminer. It didn't state any information on that in the packet I got from Tennessee.
    Shannon have faith with me someone will reply soon to our questions. I did notice that on the back of the COE that I signed asked about what case examiner fields would I like to learn more about. If I find out anything else I will let you know.

Omar Castro is offline ** Certified

Sr. Member - Private Investigators Forum:
    Union Member of the International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

ok I think I can shed some light!

It is my understanding that we are all case examiners within IPIU, the ones that are not licensed.

Now if I remember correctly the reason we use Case Examiner and not Private Investigator is because you may have to be licensed in some states to advertise such.

An example given was the one of Process Server. Before there was no licensing of them and now there is. So due to this, if you do this without a license it must be defined and identified differently. (Which I don’t think there is)

Now as one being a Case Examiner there is no licensing requirements as of yet to have this title…Knock on wood. So there shouldn’t be until we get our licenses.

Now as to the other states and their requirements I am sorry I will do my best to gather some other information and see what I can post here.

The only thing I can remember is that we can all say what we are which is Case Examiners and Private Investigators in Training; there are times that I state I am a PI and have not been penalized for it. But then again I rarely tell anyone who I am and what I do. The only person that should know is your significant other...

The most important item of interest I feel is relevant is the badge laws and requirements for them. Otherwise, you should be in good water. Anything after that you should already have your license then and it would be harder to distinguish if you are not experienced in the Case Examiner field!

I hope I have shed some light if not confused you completely. I will try again in a couple of days once I have checked all my resources.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Smile Case Examiner

Good Morning to all,Hi Omar Castro,
    I was reading what you stated about the Case Examiner title.So what you are saying is that, until I complete all levels of training.And all levels of testing,I'm classified as an Examiner?
    Well then I have another question for you.Why is it that.The I.D card that was sent to me,state Private Investigator on it?And listed on the back it has the dates,of my photo creditendials, finger prints,cwc.
    Is it necessary to carry this card with me where ever I go?And can this card be used as another type of identification?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffiny Dixon
    Good Morning to all,... until I complete all levels of training.And all levels of testing,I'm classified as an Examiner?
    Not necessarily.

There are no state laws that require licensing as a Case Examiner. And even though many states regulate Private Investigators in certain areas of their assignments, they do not regulate all private investigators. Therefore, there is no all consuming law anywhere that says everyone who is a private investigator needs to be licensed.

What is the primary difference? Simply a matter of advertising in a regulated state that you are an independent Private Investigator willing to charge a fee to the public. Unregulated Private Investigators in all states usually work for another company or work specific types of cases that are unregulated and do not have to be state licensed. Or, they may choose not to independently advertise. They simply perform the assignments given to them by the company or work exclusively within the unregulated types of cases. If the work fora company, it is the company's obligation to make sure the company is required to a license for regulated portions of a case.

As for Case Examiner, the custom made IPIU badges/wallets are engraved "Private Investigator" on the top part and "Case Examiner" on the bottom part. If used with an approved Business Card (See the Level 3 Business Card Forum in the Confidential Category), the badge wording is lawful in all states.

Good Morning to all,... Why is it that.The I.D card that was sent to me,state Private Investigator on it?
    Go to the Trainee Forum and then the sub-forum for Credentials Questions. Read the training topic titled "Credentials Title Question".
    Good Morning to all,... Is it necessary to carry this card with me where ever I go?And can this card be used as another type of identification?
    Yes, it is excellent as a second form of ID. Just remember, it is not a state "license".

Hmm good question, here I go hope this helps...

[COLOR=Purple]COLOR]Hi Omar Castro,
    I was reading what you stated about the Case Examiner title.
    So what you are saying is that, I'm classified as an Examiner?
    Yes you are a Private Investigator Case Examiner!

Why is it that. The I.D card that was sent to me, state Private Investigator on it?
    When you read the first and second lines as one title, it says Private Investigator Member of the International Private Investigators Union. Because that is who we are and in certain states we don't need to be licensed in order to say so just the certification and ID! Being a member of this union allows us to establish and hold this title...Also, just like a police officer in the academy his or her ID card states Police Officer although he is a cadet. It is up to that person in the academy to show his or her ID including badge and remember to state that he is a cadet until otherwise...

• And listed on the back it has the dates, of my photo credentials, finger prints, cwc.
    Because due to the fact we are in an organization that has over a certain amount of members almost as big if not bigger than certain police forces. There needs to be a control and other information aiding in the identification of us and them.

Is it necessary to carry this card with me where ever I go?
    No you don't have to carry anything anywhere you go, it is up to you. To be honest with you the only time I carry my ID is when conducting FAPBA's or any other assignments as an independent contractor. Otherwise I can keep it in my car glove compartment for professional courtesy if I get stopped by police and I feel I really did nothing wrong...We are almost undercover agents except for IPIU and we really should not be stating who or what we are! Some people would say this is our secret life and I certainly would not want to bring mischief to it.

And can this card be used as another type of identification?
    I would not know how one can use this card as another type of ID other than what is stated on it.

Also, I do not speak on IPIU’s behalf only on my own and these answers are from my personal opinion and no one else’s. If I am supported by other members than thank you very much if not then please understand that we are all individuals and have our own ideas, perspectives and ways of understanding concepts…

Please let me know how else I can help and I hope that I have answered your questions and concerns accordingly.
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Reminder, folks . . .

Please address all licensing comments in the state topic for your state and not here for Case Examiner.

Second, the photo credentials card discussion should continue in the other forum that was outlined above.

Quote Originally Posted by Felice Dunn

Felice Dunn
    Please see the POLL in the Trainee Forum that lists over 50 areas of assignments everyone can become trained in, including licensed PI's that want more training. You stop being a trainee in a specific area when you become qualified both academically and with on the job experience. Even so, some licensed PI's are trainees in other areas, such as airport security investigations.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Compton
    Felice,
    If I haven't welcomed you already sorry for that. Welcome! On your question I believe it depends on your state. Example the state I live in it takes 3 years of training before you can have a license. If I'm wrong someone please advise me on this.

Again Welcome!
    Barbara Compton
    You do not need 3 years experience to become an unregulated private investigator in your state. Your state defines certain areas of private investigators activities that require a license, and obtaining that license to perform regulated cases may require 3 years experience. Read the exemptions in your state licensing topic for details. Also, owning an agency does not personally require 3 years experience in nearly all of the states. It's a matter of using an already licensed PI to help you with the cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Johnson
    So if I understand right, I am a Case Examiner as long as I am in training.
    Yes and no.

Everyone can be a Case Examiner. If it leads you to a full time career as a Case Examiner, than you would remain a Case Examiner if it is your choice. All private investigators investigate cases and make case examinations of them. But not all Case Examiners perform regulated private investigator assignments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Johnson
    What happens if I get lincesed and still want to be a case examiner?
    Do both.

We have licensed attorneys which do private investigations, while keeping their attorney profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon Marble
    From the State of Tennessee? It would not, because the state does not license Case Examiners. But there is information that comes from IPIU when you receive your photo credentials.

This was a very interesting topic. I wasn't even aware that I was a Case Examiner. Although to be honest, I think I like Private Investigator in Training better.

In the UK I use the title Case Examiner often

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis J Ward
    In the UK I use the title Case Examiner often
    Welcome, Ellis!

As a newcomer, please click on the following instructions link:
    http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=5008

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:
    Omar,thank You For Your Research Time. This Puts Everything In Focus.

You learn something new everyday...these forums are a huge help, just an endless flow of information...keep it coming!!

I am only a little confused, lol. I live in CO- and this is a state that doesn't require licensing.. although I have gone thru schooling to be a P.I. so, I'm sure that I can state that I am a private investigator. But, someone mentioned that we shouldn't tell people we are PI's, then how would we get work if we don't advertise?

Any updats since 2002 on case examiners requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Omar Castro
    It is my understanding that we are all case examiners within IPIU, the ones that are not licensed.

Now if I remember correctly the reason we use Case Examiner and not Private Investigator is because you may have to be licensed in some states to advertise such.

An example given was the one of Process Server. Before there was no licensing of them and now there is. So due to this, if you do this without a license it must be defined and identified differently. (Which I don’t think there is)

Now as one being a Case Examiner there is no licensing requirements as of yet to have this title…Knock on wood. So there shouldn’t be until we get our licenses.

Now as to the other states and their requirements I am sorry I will do my best to gather some other information and see what I can post here.

The only thing I can remember is that we can all say what we are which is Case Examiners and Private Investigators in Training; there are times that I state I am a PI and have not been penalized for it. But then again I rarely tell anyone who I am and what I do. The only person that should know is your significant other...

The most important item of interest I feel is relevant is the badge laws and requirements for them. Otherwise, you should be in good water. Anything after that you should already have your license then and it would be harder to distinguish if you are not experienced in the Case Examiner field!

I hope I have shed some light if not confused you completely. I will try again in a couple of days once I have checked all my resources.
    Omar you state back in 2002 that we are classified as a case examiner, which I feel more at ease with that title then Private Investigator because, in my state of WV there are reqiurements of being a licensed PI. Im not out there to get myself in trouble or get sued which I have read you can get your self in some deep dodo when you are pretending to be someone that your not. In 2002 you said you would try and
    get some info on any new requirements in differant states. Again Im in WV, can you help me with that state? Your help is appreciated.~ Margie~

Lightbulb Steven M Kearney IPIU Member

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret R Durham
    Omar you state back in 2002 that we are classified as a case examiner, which I feel more at ease with that title then Private Investigator because, in my state of WV there are reqiurements of being a licensed PI. Im not out there to get myself in trouble or get sued which I have read you can get your self in some deep dodo when you are pretending to be someone that your not. In 2002 you said you would try and
    get some info on any new requirements in differant states. Again Im in WV, can you help me with that state? Your help is appreciated.~ Margie~
    Hi Margie,
    Hopefully by now you have discovered what you need to know about being licensed as a PI or Case Examiner in WV. However, if not you might want to follow this lead. I have discovered that typing in "State of ? (whatever State you are interested in) Official Web-site" in the search bar of your web browser will give you a link to your States official web-site. From there you can investigate most regulation and licensing processes, requirements, etc. for regulated professions in your State. I have found that most governmental regulatory boards or committees even provide internal web links to the statutes and administrative rules governing the particular licenses you are interested in. I wish you the best in discovering what you need to regarding being a Case Examiner in WV. Hopefully this info will help.

Best Regards and Remember "Every Problem Is An Opportunity To Discover"

Sherri Coffman - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

How do you get a Case Examiner Position with a Company?

I was hoping this would surfice somewhere...
    I think I would be a good one, if I knew more about it.

Sherri Coffman

Post Ms Durham

First and foremost I would like to apologize, I am sorry for the delay in posting another reply to the above information.
    Now, Ms. Durham I have since placed a post in the appropriate thread within our forum.
    Here you go:
    PI LICENSING link: West Virginia

For all licensing questions, please go to the Licensing Forum for Private Investigators and look at your state topic.

If you require further assistance pertaining to this Case Examiner topic, please feel free to post a reply, concern or question there. I will be able to continue updating information within that thread accordingly.
    Thanks
    O.A.C.V. Sr.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I came to this forum just to remind myself of what a case examiner is all about. This has been very informative.
    Jerry E. Hargrove, PhD
    Badge # 11155

Kwaku Agyei-Fosu is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2008 - 2009 Professional Management Member of:

Re: Case Examiner?

A Case Examiner exmines cases as assigned by an employer, as a private investigator. However, if you work for yourself, and you do not have license, you can examine cases under a licensed person or an organization.
    How does a case examiner handle court issues?

Sherri Coffman - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

I want to work in a trainee position with a Vancouver, Washington company/firm. How do I get a case examiner's position?

God bless you for your help.
    Mrs. Sherri A. Coffman

Marcus Fletcher is offline Lifetime Professional Management Member

Corporate Agency Member of:

This Topic Was Very Interesting//marcus Fletcher Masters Investigations

Before posting any more questions in this topic, please read the answers given by Robert Donovan, Administrator, in Posts #11 and #13.
    Legal Affairs comments are not intended to be and should absolutely not be taken as legal advice. If you should require legal, tax, or financial advice, you must first enter into a written agreement with only a licensed professional for legal, tax, or financial services, signed by both you and the licensed professional, and paid a retainer in good funds. Legal Affairs is not, nor intends to be, nor solicits to be your licensed professional. Members accessing comments by Legal Affairs are required to be bound by their Terms of Use Agreement regarding Legal Affairs.

Steven D Mahan - is offline *** Certified SPI
    Sr. Member: Private Investigators Forum

Professional Management Member of:

Thank you for the up-dates.