Thread: PI LICENSING: Iowa

Question

Which state agency are you required to go through to get a state lisence. I seem to be getting the run arround when I ask the question. Also curious about the type of exam and do you have to update the lisence often? I have found that most agencies do require a state lisence.

D. Bush

David Copeland is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Sponsored by:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    NO LICENSED NEEDED
    If your cases fall into the following areas:

80A.2 Persons exempt (from needing a State PI License):

This chapter does not apply to the following:
    1. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person employed full or part-time by one employer (any business type) in connection with the affairs of the employer.

2. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF an attorney licensed to practice in Iowa, while performing duties as an attorney. (Includes all employees employed by an attorney for cases pertaining to the affairs of the employer/law firm) .

3. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged in the business of process service in either a criminal or civil action, where the determination of the whereabouts of the person is only incidental to the service of process.

4. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged in the business of retrieval and dissemination of public record information (includes court housea and public web searches).

5. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information regarding the financial rating of persons.

6. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged in the business of genealogical research.

7. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person exclusively employed in making investigations for insurance companies.

8. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person exclusively employed in making adjustments for insurance companies.

9. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information regarding the financial standing of persons.

10. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged exclusively in the business of obtaining and furnishing information regarding the credit of persons.

11. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged exclusively in the business of providing courier service and who does not wear the uniform or use a marked motor vehicle of a licensed private security agency.

12. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person who is a secured party under the terms of a security interest while the person is performing acts relating to the repossession of the property.

13. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF an officer or employee of the United States, of a state, or a political subdivision of the United States or of a state while the officer or employee is engaged in the performance of official duties.

14. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a peace officer engaged in the private security business or the private investigation business with the knowledge and consent of the chief executive officer of the peace officer's law enforcement agency.

15. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person who is the legal owner of personal property which has been sold under a security agreement or a conditional sales agreement.

16. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged in the process of verifying the credentials of physicians and allied health professionals applying for hospital staff privileges.

17. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF two or more peace officers may form a partnership to conduct private investigation business or private security business without securing either a state license or identification card. The partnership, association, or business may employ other peace officers to conduct investigation or security functions; however, the chief executive of each partner, association member, owner, or employee must
      give permission to engage in the business.

18. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person engaged in the business of transporting prisoners under a contract with the Iowa department of corrections or a county sheriff, a similar agency from another state, or the federal government.

19. NO PI LICENSE NEEDED IF a person who sells, installs, maintains, repairs or monitors burglar alarm systems at protected premises or premises to be protected.

SOURCE:

CLICK HERE: http://www.state.ia.us/government/dps/asd/

APPLICATIONS:
    http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/pi_licensing.shtml#forms

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/pi_licensing.shtml

Administrative Services Div
    Iowa Dept of Public Safety
    Wallace State Office Bldg
    Des Moines, IA 50319
    (515) 281-7610

Links updated 1/18/07

Talking Thanks for the reply.

I'm impressed with this forum! You guys are doing a great job. I did end up in the right building this afternoon but I do have one other question for you. - Have you ever taken the exam? And what does it involve. I have prior experience in civil investigation but, does the exam cover all areas of investigations? (i.e. civil and criminal etc.)

Great source for information. Would anyone know of a web site like this one for Iowa for us in Illinois? Would really help keeping focused without getting the runaround and sometimes incorrect information.
    Steve M. Anderson

Bonds

This is also pretaining to Iowa, but I was wondering what site you would go to pretaining to being bonded in Iowa?
    I was told that you had to be bonded before you could be licensed. Thank you for your help.
    G. Mcfarland

6. Question Seems link is not working

Anyone know current correct link?

Donna Reagan is offline Administrator
    Private Investigators Forum

Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

Donna Reagan
    Licensed Private Investigator
    DHS Certified

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Thanks for this link. I sent an e-mail to them regarding requirements in Iowa. Thanks again!!

Kesha

Roxanna Firlick- is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)
    I sent them an email also for Iowa.hopefully I'll hear something back.Thanks for the information
    Roxanna Firlick (hopkins)

For those who have sent information in requesting information on Iowa Licensensing have you received your responses back yet? I was just curious if it were more detailed then the actual web site and the information the web site contained. Thanks. Lisa Chapman

Thanks for the link. I will let you know when they reply back.