Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Re: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Thanks Vicky,
    Yes... You can count me as a friend! I do like chicken, but only the kind that comes out of the stove and has been breaded,lol... It's nice to know that we have someone well versed in taxes here at IPIU. Lord knows we depart with enough of our hard earned dollars as it is...

James Bone is offline ***
    Licensed Private Investigator

2006 - 2011 Professional Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

I am working for an agency and I am considered contract. The agency carries our license but we are still contract, but we cannot do "side jobs" or the owner will file on us for theft, so is this an employee or contract. We are working on our own agency license as I type this, so shortly it will not matter as we will be the owners.

Vicki McCarthy - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

Member of International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Cool Re: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by James Bone
    I am working for an agency and I am considered contract. The agency carries our license but we are still contract, but we cannot do "side jobs" or the owner will file on us for theft, so is this an employee or contract. We are working on our own agency license as I type this, so shortly it will not matter as we will be the owners.
    Hi James,
    As long as they don't withhold any payroll taxes from your checks, the IRS considers you an independent contractor, and you are responsible for your own taxes. Be sure to keep receipts for all your unreimbursed expenses, these can be used to offset some of your income on the schedule C.

If you use their license to do the side jobs, yes it is a theft of sorts. Example: A clerk in a grocery store sells stock off the shelf and pockets the money. He is not stealing the stock since he doesn't take the stock out of the store, but he is stealing the income from the sale of that stock. The store (agency) owns the stock (license) and has every right to expect income from the sale (use) of that stock (license).

You will, of course, be more flexible when you have your own license, but the experience and training you are getting now will, I am sure, be of great use to you in the future.

I hope this has helped you, and good luck in your endeavors.

Vicki

Great question! That is the most important question I wanted to know - are private investigators contractors? I didn't want to wait to see my first pay check to find the answer. But, then it again, my being a contractor may vary depending on the agency I suppose.

Thanks for the answer!

Myra D. Price

Red face Re: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by Myra Price
    Great question! That is the most important question I wanted to know - are private investigators contractors? I didn't want to wait to see my first pay check to find the answer. But, then it again, my being a contractor may vary depending on the agency I suppose.

Thanks for the answer!

Myra D. Price
    Hi Myra,
    Usually you don't have to wait for the check. When they hire you as an employee you have to fill out the W4 for witholding information on payroll.

And welcome to the forum.

Vicki

Hello Everyone

I am extremely new to the Investigations field and the information posted is extremely helpful in helping me to get started. Thanks a lot

Talking Re: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Farley
    Hello Everyone

I am extremely new to the Investigations field and the information posted is extremely helpful in helping me to get started. Thanks a lot
    Glad to be of help at any time, and welcome to the forum

Melanie Kozik - is offline Private Investigator Forum Member

2007 - 2008 Member of:
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU)

Same Name/DIfferent File Cab

I have always thought of myself as an
    *Information Broker* and as such - as an
    Information Broker, I do not need a licence to do anything that I do. I provide information.

A P.I. vs Information Brokerage is rather the same type
    comparison as a bus-driver is to an airline pilot - one just sounds better...stock-broker - glorified bookie - get my drift?

Think about it - it really is the truth.

Melanie Kozik
    Information Broker since 1998

Karen Chabert - is offline *

Member of the PI Forums
    (Sponsored by IPIU)

I was told today that i need to get fingerprinted and get a state license here in Louisiana and then, take the 40 hour state course offered here. Anyone know about that? any info would be greatly apppreciated.
    By the way, I got a job working as PI for a small firm here in Louisiana. I'm very excited and working today on Thanksgiving, on my first case!

Talking Re: Are investigators Employees or Independent Contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Chabert
    I was told today that i need to get fingerprinted and get a state license here in Louisiana and then, take the 40 hour state course offered here. Anyone know about that? any info would be greatly apppreciated.
    By the way, I got a job working as PI for a small firm here in Louisiana. I'm very excited and working today on Thanksgiving, on my first case!
    Below is the link for all states licensing laws. You can find the answer to all your state licensing questions on this link. Just look for your state, and click on.

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Welcome to the IPIU, Karen.

Karen Chabert - is offline *

Member of the PI Forums
    (Sponsored by IPIU)

Thanks, Vicky!

[QUOTE=David Copeland;25458]The filing of an annual small business tax return is always after the end of the year. The quarterly tax deposits for a small business is to make a projection to the amount of tax that is owed at the end of the year. That is not a "return", but a tax deposit so that the business person does not come up owing at the end of the year.

Just my 2 cents on this topic: the quarterly tax is called AN ESTIMATED TAX. So you would estimate how much to pay the government. My guage is usually if I am making $30K annually (straight-not taxes withheld as a 1099) I usually have to pay in about $5K at the end of the year but that never engraved in stone. Last year I worked that much and I only had to pay $2K in taxes but I never understood "estimated taxes" because usually they are estimated HIGH. They are NEVER ESTIMATED LOW. Hilarious - I rather pay after the year because then I know exactly the taxes I owe and although there are penalities and interest it's not that much and in the long run - I feel like I'm ahead of the government. LOL - which I'm not but it makes me feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mocker View Post
    Do books also count? I just ordered the Idiots Guide... last night. I would imagine anything that pertains to the job.
    Everything counts including your apartment home office space. Say you use a room in your apartment that you rent for your home office space - you can take that off usually 20 percent as an expense. A house with a dedicated room can also be used on your taxes.

If you go on the dreaded IRS site (irs.gov) you'll find a lot of info about what is "allowed". You will have to fill out a SCHEDULE C which is an extension of the IRS document listing all of your outside unusual expenses. Don't go crazy here because if the IRS thinks you are exaggerating on something they will call you on it and audit you. Audit's are HELL and to be avoided at all costs. I've sat through many of them in my career as an accountant/bookkeeper and they are not fun for the person being audited or business.

Lastly if anyone needs a really great accountant - I got one. He has an office in NYC but he has clients nationally and he takes care of multi-industries. He's automated and cool having been in the business as a CPA for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine Haig View Post
    if anyone needs a really great accountant - I got one. He has an office in NYC but he has clients nationally and he takes care of multi-industries. He's automated and cool having been in the business as a CPA for many years.
    Please email his name and contact details to brad.foster@ipiu.org , who will inquire about his services on behalf of other PI Members here.
    Robert Donovan
    Director - Agent Relations
    Sr. Director - IPIU Ethics Board

START WITH TRUST
    When you see the Better Business Bureau Seal, it means the
    International Private Investigators Union (IPIU) has agreed to:

TELL THE TRUTH, KEEP ITS PROMISES, BE RESPONSIVE
    www.ipiu.org | IPIU Web Store
    Official BBB Accreditation Link | Contact IPIU
    Founded in 1989 - Celebrating our 32nd Year Serving 48,373 Members

CONTACT LINK HERE TO JOIN IPIU

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3