View RSS Feed

Liz Mason -

Internet Crime Complaint Center Warning

Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
Greetings to all who enter here. I get daily updates from the FBI and other sources. I would like to try and share that information here. I have copied & pasted the latest bulletin from them, and I have also included the link directly to their website, if you are interested in getting on their e-mail list and receiving some very useful information.

Here is the message in it's entirety:

Intelligence Note
Prepared by the Internet Crime
Complaint Center (IC3)

November 18, 2010

Holiday Shopping Tips

This holiday season the FBI
reminds shoppers that cyber criminals aggressively create new ways to steal money
and personal information. Scammers use many techniques to fool potential victims,
including conducting fraudulent auction sales, reshipping merchandise purchased
with stolen credit cards, and selling fraudulent or stolen gift cards through auction sites at discounted prices.

Fraudulent Classified Ads and Auction Sales

Internet criminals post classified ads and auctions for products they do not have,
and make the 0000 work by using stolen credit cards. Fraudsters receive an order
from a victim, charge the victim's credit card for the amount of the order, then use a separate, stolen credit card for the actual purchase. They pocket the purchase
price obtained from the victim's credit card and have the merchant ship the item
directly to the victim. Consequently, an item purchased from an online auction but
received directly from the merchant is a strong indication of fraud. Victims of
such a 0000 not only lose the money paid to the fraudster, but may be liable for
receiving stolen goods.

Shoppers may help avoid these 00000 by using caution and not providing financial
information directly to the seller, as fraudulent sellers will use this information
to purchase items for their schemes. Always use a legitimate payment service to
ensure a safe, legitimate purchase.

As for product delivery, fraudsters posing as legitimate delivery services offer
reduced or free shipping to customers through auction sites. They perpetuate this
0000 by providing fake shipping labels to the victim. The fraudsters do not pay
for delivery of the packages; therefore, delivery service providers intercept the
packages for nonpayment and the victim loses the money paid for the purchase of
the product.

Diligently check each seller's rating and feedback along with their number of sales
and the dates on which feedback was posted. Be wary of a seller with 100% positive feedback, with a low total number of feedback postings, or with all feedback posted around the same date and time.

Gift Card 0000

Be careful when purchasing gift cards through auction sites or classified ads. It
is safest to purchase gift cards directly from the merchant or retail store. If the gift card merchant discovers that your card is fraudulent, the merchant will deactivate the gift card and refuse to honor it for purchases. Victims of this 0000 lose the money paid for the gift card purchase.

Phishing and Smishing Schemes

In phishing schemes, a fraudster poses as a legitimate entity and uses emails and
0000 web sites to obtain victims' personal information, such as account numbers,
user names, passwords, etc. Smishing is the act of sending fraudulent text messages
to bait a victim into revealing personal information.

Be leery of emails or text messages that indicate a problem or question regarding
your financial accounts. In this 0000, fraudsters direct victims to follow a link
or call a number to update an account or correct a purported problem. The link directs
the victim to a fraudulent web site or message that appears legitimate. Instead,
the site allows the fraudster to steal any personal information the victim provides.

Current smishing schemes involve fraudsters calling victims' cell phones offering to lower the interest rates for credit cards the victims do not even possess. If a victim asserts that they do not own the credit card, the caller hangs up. These fraudsters call from TRAC cell phones that do not have voicemail, or the phone provides a constant busy signal when called, rendering these calls virtually untraceable.

Another 0000 involves fraudsters directing victims, via email, to a spoofed web
site. A spoofed web site is a fake site that misleads the victim into providing
personal information, which is routed to the scammer's computer.

Phishing schemes related to deliveries are also rampant. Legitimate delivery service
providers neither email shippers regarding scheduled deliveries nor state when a
package is intercepted or being temporarily held. Consequently, emails informing
of such delivery issues are phishing 00000 that can lead to personal information
breaches and financial losses.

Tips

Here are some tips you can use to avoid becoming a victim of cyber fraud:

* Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) email.
* Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited email.
* Be cautious of email claiming to contain pictures in attached files, as the files
may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders. Scan the attachments for viruses if possible.
* Avoid filling out forms contained in email messages that ask for personal information.
* Always compare the link in the email with the link to which you are directed and
determine if they match and will lead you to a legitimate site.
* Log directly onto the official web site for the business identified in the email,
instead of "linking" to it from an unsolicited email. If the email appears to be
from your bank, credit card issuer, or other company you deal with frequently, your
statements or official correspondence from the business will provide the proper
contact information.
* Contact the actual business that supposedly sent the email to verify if the email is genuine.
* If you are asked to act quickly, or there is an emergency, it may be a 0000. Fraudsters create a sense of urgency to get you to act quickly.
* Verify any requests for personal information from any business or financial institution by contacting them using the main contact information.
* Remember if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

To receive the latest information about cyber 00000, please go to the FBI web site
and sign up for email alerts by clicking on one of the red envelopes. If you have
received a 0000 email, please notify the IC3 by filing a complaint at
[url][URL="http://www.IC3.gov"]www.IC3.gov[/URL][/url]. For more information on e-00000, please visit the FBI's New E-00000 and Warnings webpage at [url]http://[URL=www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest"]www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest[/URL]/escams.htm[/url].

Updated 01-21-2011 at 04:40 AM by Liz Mason - (to catagorize)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Liz,

Here is Michel ( from Belgium - Europe ) ...

I also see the comments from FBI ...
    I am enjoyed that someone else put that on the I.P.I.U. blog ...

I gave this info to other friends ( LinkedIn ) ( Criminologue )

And I saw also something else, about browsers and "failures" ...
    Sorry, it is in French, but you can maybe find that at other "places", in English ...

I think to create a "Frenchy" blog ... into I.P.I.U. ... I will "ask the autorisation"

The link is :

http://www.linformaticien.com/Actual...e/Default.aspx

Bye and at "next" ...

Michel
    Re ...

A good link in English ... You also can receive updates from there ( You will see it directly, when opening the site )

http://www.makeuseof.com/

You can find lot of interesting articles about the Web, programs, etc.

And do not forget this site, if you have problems with computers ...

http://www.geekstogo.com

( I am ' in ' ... )

Copy/Paste :

Alain Disse
    Group: GeekU Freshman
    Views: 15

Reputation is 0 because ... all the problems are in English and I am speaking French ( native ) ...
    I said on Geeks to Go that I will " take " the "french" problems ( easier for me to explain / help ) and there are differences between an English ( American ) and French versions of Windows ...

As the keyboard (s) ... you have a "qwerty" , I have a "belgian" "azerty" different from a french "azerty" !!!
    So, where is the "\" ??? and others ...

Actually, I received NO "french" problems ... ( strange ... lol )

Bye ... and at next ...

Michel
    Michel,

I believe I can translate any reports for you, if you would like to post something on the forums in English. If you find anything, copy and paste the french text into an email, then send it to me. When I am done I'll email the translation back to you, so you can post it.
    Updated 01-04-2012 at 05:14 AM by John Sanderson
    Thanks for the information.
    Filipe