PDA

View Full Version : CALIFORNIA LAW: Bounty Hunter-Recovery Agent

Anthony Bridgestone
01-15-2001, 08:56 PM
[b]Bail fugitive recovery agents must be 18 years old, have no felony convictions, complete a specified training courses, and notify local law enforcement of their intent to apprehend a bail fugitive no more than 6 hours before doing so.

They must have written authorization from the bond agent when making an arrest, and cannot forcibly enter any premises, except pursuant to certain existing provisions of law governing arrest by a private person.

Bounty hunters cannot represent themselves as law officers, or wear badges or uniforms that a reasonable person might mistake for a government agency.

All bounty hunters must carry with them a certification of completion of required courses and training programs.

Out of state bounty hunters must be licensed in their home states, or be licensed bail agents.

Private detectives need not obtain a separate bounty hunter license to operate in the state.

This law will remain in effect only until January 1, 2005. Cal. Penal Code § 1299.

In addition, bounty hunter or bond agent who captures defendant in California must go through extradition procedures to transport him interstate. Cal. Penal Code § 847.5 (1995 West); Ouzts v. Maryland Nat'l Ins. Co., 505 F.2d 547 (9th Cir.1974).

After an arrest of a defendant on bail, the surety must deliver him to the court or police within 48 hours of the arrest if it occurs within California; if the arrest occurs out of state, the surety must deliver the defendant within 48 hours of their entering California. Cal. Penal Code § 1301.

Elizabeth Givens
07-02-2001, 12:22 PM
how do i become a bounty hunter

Cynthia Ford
07-02-2001, 12:26 PM
Send an email to bounty.passcode@ipiu.org and they will send an instruction email back to your email box. Read it carefully and follow the instructions.

Cynthia

+

Haywood_Douglas
02-17-2003, 08:17 PM
Can you become a Bounty Hunter If you have a misd of 273.5?
I have a friend,and he wants to become a bunty hunter.He knows he cant carry a firearm,but would like to know can he still become one.

Robert Donovan
02-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Agent H.Douglas
I have a friend,and he wants to become a bunty hunter.He knows he cant carry a firearm,but would like to know can he still become one.
1) Read the requirements again posted above. It says "felony's" and not misdemeanors.

2) Please register again for a new User Name and password, because the name you chose is not your first and last name, as the online application samples show.

Thanks.

Haywood_Douglas
02-17-2003, 10:04 PM
No problem,Yu have told me what I wanted to know.
And I did read what was posted,But I still had to ask to make sure.He wanted to know for sure.I had told him,but I wanted to ask someone els.Thank you. and I will change my user name,but that Is my name.

Robert Donovan
02-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Agent H.Douglas
No problem,Yu have told me what I wanted to know.
And I did read what was posted,But I still had to ask to make sure.He wanted to know for sure.I had told him,but I wanted to ask someone els.Thank you. and I will change my user name,but that Is my name.
Actually, just give me your full first name and I will modify it for you, thereby keeping your comments in tact. :)

Haywood Douglas
02-17-2003, 10:31 PM
I had done what you asked me already. My full name Is Haywood
Last name Is Douglas. I am not trying to cause any trouble on here. I am new,and I want to learn.so' any Information that you can provide me with can and really be helpful. Will complete my education this week. and I have my PC 832/837 ,guard card w/firearm. Me and my friend have been wanting to get into the
bounty hunting,have been trough allot.He has just recently found that he has that 273.5.misd, and was not sure If there were going to be anymore surprises. That's why I asked.

QuyenM
07-11-2003, 11:45 PM
I did some research about the Bounty-Hunter or Bail fugitive recovery Person-Agent. I found out that there are Institutes teaching you to become a bounty-hunter and they will give you the certificate of completion for that course. In California bounty-hunter act. ( i don't know about any other state) they require the completion of 40hrs of Power of Arrest certified by P.O.S.T, power of arrest course certified by B.S.I.S and 12hrs education relating to duties and responsibilies of a Bail License certified by D.O.I to become a bounty-hunter. I don't know if I still need to complete the requirements by the state or just the certificate of completion by the Institute.?

Kanda Force
07-13-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by QuyenM
I don't know if I still need to complete the requirements by the state or just the certificate of completion by the Institute.?

You need to find out if the course studies/training fills the requirements of the state. If not, you will still need to complete all requirements of the state to get licensed.

Before you decide to enroll in a course, ask if the state requirements will be met upon successful completion. Then verify that with the state. :)

Jeremy D Maurer -
07-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Bail Enforcement in California does not require a license. It does require the above information. The BSIS powers of arrest (guard card) the POST powes of arrest (equivalent to PC 832 Mod. A) and either the 12 hour bail prelicensing class or a PI License. You must carry a copy of each on your person when performing Bail Enforcement. I have photocopied, and shrunken down to business card size, laminated them, so that they all remain clean, and crisp. Also if you carry a firearm, you need the BSIS Open & Exposed Permit, or a CCW if you carry concealed. Be safe.

JER

Jeremy D Maurer -
07-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Can a Fugitive Recovery Agent wear a badge in the course of Bail Enforcement?

Felicia Tausig
09-16-2003, 12:19 AM
"All bounty hunters must carry with them a certification of completion of required courses and training programs. " Anthony Bridgestone, Moderator

How do you obtain this certificate of completion? Through which agency and what is the cost/s involved?

Also, does the bounty hunter get the entire reward if there is a price on the person's head?

Jeremy W. Johnson
09-16-2003, 11:44 AM
Hello I live in Texas right now and plan on moving to Cali. after I get out of college, I will get my badge and licence while I still live in T.X. What do I need to do when I move (since the laws are some-what different will that change my job any by much)

Shannon Raymond
11-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Bail Enforcement is an interesting twist to the whole investigation side of life.

I am glad it was explained and once you have your P.I. license under your belt the Guard Card and 832 pc course are a snap.

Now that I have this info I think I will look into it further.

Does anyone know how you begin working with a bail agent?

Mr. Michael Hurn
01-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Would like to find out if i can be sponserd by a trained bail recovery agent, so i can proceed to the next level I would be very thankfull.

IF you need to know about you can get a hold of me here or on line at a later date.

Thanks for you time
Michael Hurn

Georges E Abou-Habib
05-24-2004, 10:27 PM
I did 12h course and 3h security cards and now waiting the course 832pc so that's all i need ,after that i need to carry a badge or no.thank you

Georges E Abou-Habib
09-19-2004, 08:59 PM
MR JEREMY MAURER
i have pc832 ,i have guard card ,but how you can get the permit for exposed weapon,please if you let me know thank you

David Martz -
09-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Dear group ,
ALSO a Licensed PI can do fugitive recovery without all the above classes & Hours

Georges E Abou-Habib
10-31-2004, 10:26 AM
is there anyone who can train me?thank you

Nicole Rhoades
11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Am I to assume that you can wear a badge as long as it does NOT replicate anything that we currently have for law enforcement badges? OR Is it just better not to. I would think that if you are apprehending a criminal, you would want to have something that says you aren't just some crazy off of the street. That can be a rather dangerous line of work.
Also, can someone point me in a direction in Los Angeles where I might find these P.O.S.T certified classes?
Thank you to all that answer.

Darin Biddle
11-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Am I to assume that you can wear a badge as long as it does NOT replicate anything that we currently have for law enforcement badges? OR Is it just better not to. I would think that if you are apprehending a criminal, you would want to have something that says you aren't just some crazy off of the street. That can be a rather dangerous line of work.

It is to avoid any misrepresentation or impersonating an officer charges. Also, it would help not to have one resemble just in case someone falsly accuses you of doing such.

Also, can someone point me in a direction in Los Angeles where I might find these P.O.S.T certified classes?
Thank you to all that answer.

Click here:
http://www.post.ca.gov/training/default.asp

Mark Lucatorto -
12-19-2004, 08:49 PM
As a former Deputy Sheriff will I still need to take the powers of arrest classes? I should probably take it anyway since it has been over 5 years and I am sure some things have changed. Just curious.

Mark

Curtis Blodgett
02-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Bounty hunting is an extremely detailed line of work in California. As far as all of the questions about badges I would assume that not having one would insure that no misrepresentation could happen. As well as identify yourself as a bail fugitive recovery agent upon meeting the defendent.

Mark Hankins
05-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I am currenty in the process of obtaining by bail bonding license. I would like to open my own office here in San Francisco. I would also like to get my bounty hunters license as well. Giving me more authority and ability of arrest over any clients that decide to obscound. As well as giving me the ability to protect my self with a fire arm.
The problem that I am running into is that I do have a felony conviction on my record (grand theft). I will have the ability in the near future to have the felony charged lowered to a lesser charge (removing the felony conviction).
My question is there any way to obtain a bounty hunters license with this conviction with out yet obtaining a fire arms license? and obtaining the fire arms license later after I have this conviction lowered? Or will this conviction always keep me from ever getting into this line of work?

Michael A Langley Jr
06-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Being a Bounty Hunter seems like a very difficult line of work. You have to understand all of the rules of engagement before getting involved. Looks like everyone in this forum are very helpful with the information being presented...keep up the good work here!

Jim Pratt
11-20-2005, 12:30 PM
you can usually find these classes through most community colleges in California, or you can check out the P.O.S.T. website and locate a facility near you.

Jim Pratt
Trainee Investigator
PC832 certificate/ BSIS permits

Steven D Mahan -
11-20-2005, 03:01 PM
darin,thanks for that link.

Mark Lucatorto -
02-10-2006, 12:38 AM
I have completed all the required training and have made several contacts in Ventura and Los Angeles. Even with my law enforcement background it is difficult to find work. All of the people that I have talked with say the same thing, “Be professional in your attitude and looks and keep contacting Bail Bonds Agents in person”.

If anyone needs help in So. Cal. Please let me know.

Mark

Joseph Sorrells -
03-01-2006, 03:58 AM
Dear group ,
ALSO a Licensed PI can do fugitive recovery without all the above classes & Hours

How does being a licensed PI get you around all the classes and hours? I would like to know in case I am able to double my workload. Thank you

Keith E Masteller
04-10-2006, 12:23 AM
What are my best options for approching employment with a recovery team. I have seen DOG and I do not want to sound like the Kid that sit's there and says thats cool.

I spent the time to get my 12 bail pre-license, and I am working on the P.C. 832 class, also the B.S.I.S 8 hour power of arrest.

Any comments welcome on getting my foot in the door the right way.

P.S. For anyone looking into getting started Read the laws, Rules and Regulations. Start by searching the web. You find ANYTHING! :cool:

Mark Lucatorto -
04-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Keith,

The first thing to remember is when contacting any Bail Enforcement Agents, Bail Bond companies and PIs is to act professional and dress in business atire not tactical gear. You may wat to try to hook up wit some experienced BEAs and may have to work for free or little pay till you learn the business. It has taken me a long time to get started and I amm a former Law Enforcement officer. Don't give up if this is something you want to do.

Good Luck

Adam Prado
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM

273.5 is not a misdemeanor in California it is a Felony. also, it involves domestic violence, no one with any kind of conviction due to domestic violence can be hired as any law enforcement official.

Lynne Knight
09-09-2007, 01:18 PM
273.5 is not a misdemeanor in California it is a Felony. also, it involves domestic violence, no one with any kind of conviction due to domestic violence can be hired as any law enforcement official.Thank God (and our justice system!)

Christopher Shane Stoneham
09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
I have noticed this forum hasnt had any action in a few years. The Laws of of 2005 for a bounty hunter are they currently up to date? I am in the process of getting my P.I. License and will be attending a POST training when I complete my Investigators badge.

I would like to see this forum be up to date and see who is paying attention here.

Thanks,
C S Stoneham

09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
oops I was reading join dates not post dates my bad!

09-13-2007, 03:08 PM
bounty@ipiu.org doesnt work anymore just fyi

I have sent an email to that address and received a Failure to deliver because the address is no longer available.

So yes I tried to send and email from my current email address and the address is invalid now. Do you happen to know the correct address?

Lynne Knight
09-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Christopher :)
Thank you for your clarification.
I do not know the answer, but I'll certainly try to find out for you. It may take a day or so.
:)

Robert Donovan
09-18-2007, 06:21 PM

I have sent an email to that address and received a Failure to deliver because the address is no longer available.

So yes I tried to send and email from my current email address and the address is invalid now. Do you happen to know the correct address?
The new email address is now:

bounty.passcode@ipiu.org

Thank you for reporting this.

09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
thanks I will be using that email now

C Shane Stoneham

Kenlin Ogwaro
11-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello Mark, that is a very good question that you asked. Please forward any answers or help that you can get to those particular questions that you asked. I do know someone who is in the same position who is also trying to do what you are doing. That would be nice to know so that we can find something else if it does not work out.
thanks.

John M Harvey
12-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Not in California.

John

John M Harvey
12-28-2007, 03:04 PM
is there anyone who can train me?thank you

A good training resource in California is:

Bob Barton - 866-357-3030

John

John M Harvey
03-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Joseph, I believe the presumption is that in order to have been granted a PI license (in most states, anyway) that your experience would have covered what you would have learned in the classes.

Mark Lucatorto -
04-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Here is a link to the California Research Bureaus review of the current law.
http://www.library.ca.gov/crb/07/07-010.pdf

I was a part of the research panel and this report will be used to modify the current laws in the near future.

Daniel George -
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I Need To Know How And Where To Become A Bounty Hunter From Scratch.i Have No Felonys Etc.please Any Help Would Be Appreciated

Robert Munson
05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I Need To Know How And Where To Become A Bounty Hunter From Scratch.i Have No Felonys Etc.please Any Help Would Be Appreciated

To start you will want to learn the requirements and laws for the state or states you wish to work in.

Once you know those 2 things you then work on getting qualified based on the requirements and laws.

After that I would say you might want to work with an established group to learn the hands-on of the job.

For the record this is my opinion on the subject.

Daniel Najera -
09-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Interesting. Thanks to the OP for the thread, however, IIRC, possibly 12 yrs ago I spotted a bail enforcement agent near a Riverside PD station with a silly looking tac outfit and he clearly had a badge. More than likey the law changed since that time.

Chezareus Jones
11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
How could i get training in this field?

Cynthia Ford
12-06-2008, 12:26 PM
How could i get training in this field?Start with this:
http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/product_info.php?products_id=992

Hugh Boyle
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
I have my Bail enforcement Lic in Co I would like to find out what I need to do for one In Ca Thank You

Thomas R Rowbottom
07-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Yes, as long as it doesnt have anything to do with Law Enforcement. For instance, my badge says "Fugitive Apprehension Agent" and my badge number. Also the seal of the state of California. No mention of Law Enforcement. It wouldn't be recommended to have the state seal on there. Technically it is not illegal but if you are just starting off people might get the wrong idea.

George Dakkak -
07-04-2009, 05:25 PM
don't do it , it is not worth it

Thomas R Rowbottom
07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
What are my best options for approching employment with a recovery team. I have seen DOG and I do not want to sound like the Kid that sit's there and says thats cool.

I spent the time to get my 12 bail pre-license, and I am working on the P.C. 832 class, also the B.S.I.S 8 hour power of arrest.

Any comments welcome on getting my foot in the door the right way.

P.S. For anyone looking into getting started Read the laws, Rules and Regulations. Start by searching the web. You find ANYTHING! :cool:

Do be honest, if you have already taken the pre-licensing I would just go for my Bail Bondsmen license. PC 1299 (California) allows bondsmen to act as FRA's. Private Investigators can also operate as FRA's under 1299. If you get your Bondsmen license, you can bail em' out and chase em'. Its not that hard finding a bondsmen job in relation to finding a steady stream of cases as a bounty hunter alone. Be a bondsmen and go after your own skips. Its really hard (I mean REALLY hard) to get your foot in the door as a new bounty hunter. Unless you know someone, its 0000 near impossible. I got lucky and knew someone. But if you have your bondsmen license you can bail them out to and work for a bail bonds company. If you have your PI license, you can do PI work on the side. Going through the loops to meet the requirements of a FRA (which there is a loophole somewhere in the PC 3000 range about bail that makes it so ANYONE can go after skips, Ill find it and post it later) isn't really worth it. Though a PC 832 is always a good thing to have. Feel free to ask my any questions you may have. Im a FRA in California.

Jacob Pray
10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
So, it sounds like it is true that licensed PI's in CA do not need a seperate license to do bail enforcement? If that is true how would one begin to find work?

Brad Foster
10-02-2009, 09:57 AM
So, it sounds like it is true that licensed PI's in CA do not need a seperate license to do bail enforcement? If that is true how would one begin to find work?

Steve has given you a great suggestion in the Level 4 Members area here:

Bounty Hunter - Bail Enforcement Agent - How to Find local cases (http://www.ipiu.org/forums/showthread.php?p=491946#post491946)

To join IPIU, obtain a PI Union License, Training, and a Union membership - go here:

http://www.privateinvestigators.cc/index.php?cPath=67

Ernest Estrada -
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
So, it sounds like it is true that licensed PI's in CA do not need a seperate license to do bail enforcement? If that is true how would one begin to find work? You have to have some experience in the field and be insured before any bail bondsmen wil hire you.....I assume you have your Ca. P.I. license already...also it is hard to get P.I. insurance if you plan on doing fuigitve recovery....some companies will not provide it

Tony Suggs -
12-18-2009, 05:38 PM
To clear up a few misconceptions about CA Bail Recovery Agents:

A recovery agent can wear a badge in CA. It must NOT indicate or lead anyone to believe that the person wearing it is any kind of law enforcement officer.

It IS illegal to wear or use the seal of the state of California unless you are specifically authorized to do so.

The BSIS exposed weapon permit is NOT valid for bail recovery work! Only licensed,employed, in uniform and on duty security guards can carry exposed with that permit. Period.

Its Bob Burton.

PC 273.5 can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony.

All bail agents licensed after Jan 1, 2000 have to complete the PC 1299 requirements if they are going to pick up their own or other bail agents skips.

Those licensed before Jan 1, 2000 do not have to complete the requirements if they are going after their own skips only.

Mr Peter Shannon
03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Hello to all members,

I would like to add that PC1299 has expired on 1-1-10, so it looks like this info is now dated.

Steven D Mahan -
03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Thank you for the up-date.

Liz Mason -
04-09-2011, 06:08 AM
From Online Resources:

In September of 1999 California became one of the states in which Bounty Hunters require specific training and licensing. As such, becoming a Bounty Hunter in California takes a bit more effort but can also be very rewarding. Bail Recovery Agents are expected to work closely with local law enforcement agencies and practice careful and calculated fugitive recovery. Training and licensing ensure effective and safe skip tracing and the State of California promotes safe Bounty Hunting techniques.

How to Become a Bounty Hunter in California

Becoming a Bounty Hunter in California involves taking courses as well as meeting several other requirements. The California Department of Insurance (CDI) handles licensing for the state and only allows people over 18 to apply. The first thing that must be done is the completion of a 12 hour “pre-licensing bail education” course. Then, you must apply for your Bounty Hunter license through the CDI and take a bail license examination and score at least 70%. Lastly, you must negotiate a contract with a surety company to pursue fugitives that have skipped bail. The California Bail Agents Association can help you obtain the required licenses and offers information about specific location of classes in the state.
California Bounty Hunter Licenses and Requirements

Once you are licensed as a Bail Recovery Agent, the CDI requires 6 hours of continuing education every year. Additionally, Bounty Hunters in California are required to notify the local police 6 hours prior to making an arrest and carry documentation of their training and licensing at all times when working. Furthermore, Bounty Hunters may not wear a uniform or identify themselves as law enforcement in any way or forcibly enter a residence except as outlined in laws regarding arrest by a private person. Lastly, the fugitive must be delivered to the state of California within 48 hours of arrest.

George Dakkak -
05-15-2011, 08:26 PM
good news the act and requirements expired ! no there is nothing ~

Steven D Mahan -
05-19-2011, 06:14 AM
I believe even if the state has a time out there are still the Federal guide lines

David Copeland
05-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Does anyone have a news link to verify this?