PDA

View Full Version : Man Charged for using "Keystroke Logger"

Ann Marie Ryan
04-27-2004, 09:00 AM
From the news:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) A California man has been charged by the FEDS for using a "keystroke Logger".

These are simple devices that connect between a computer and the keyboard and "collect" all the keystrokes that the used types...

A California man who prosecutors say planted an electronic bugging device on a computer at an insurance company was indicted on Tuesday on federal wiretapping charges in what prosecutors said was the first case of its kind.

Larry Lee Ropp, a 46-year-old former insurance claims manager, is the first defendant charged with a federal crime for using a "keystroke logger," which tracks the activities on a computer and feeds the information back to its owner, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles said.

Prosecutors did not say what they believe Ropp hoped to gain by bugging the computer, which was being used by a secretary to executives at the company where he worked, Bristol West Insurance Group (BRW.N: Quote, Profile, Research) . But an affidavit filed with the indictment suggests he intended to supply information to attorneys representing a class of people who were suing the company.

Ropp, who is charged with a single count of wiretapping, faces a maximum of five years in prison if he is convicted at trial. He is free on bond pending an April 5 arraignment. Investigators were tipped to Ropp after he was fired from the company and asked another employee to remove the keystroke logger, which records every keystroke made on a computer, from the secretary's machine.

Dabra J Grant -
04-27-2004, 11:58 AM
This is a very interesting article. Thanks for printing it. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a keystroke logger for bugging a PC. I wonder what it looks like and how it can be detected. Anyone?
This is why I look forward to access above Level 1, to find out about all the different devices that are out there. I guess I'm a gadget enthusiast, or a closet nerd, but I love that stuff!!

The not so new anymore technology: biometric identification and authentication solutions to enterprises is an area where I want to learn more, and would just love to get involved with in the corporate security venue. Is anyone else pointed in that direction? I would like to someday create my own firm/agency to specialize in those areas. It is good to dream, but right now a position selling horse manure would work too. LOL.

One step at a time, but seriously the job market in Seattle area starts with an S and ends with a KS, if you know what I mean. How bout the rest of the United States of America? Same, better, worse or different? Iíll keep the faith. I know I just overlapped with topics, but one thing just led to another and youíve got to admit that everything is connected.

Frederick Budde
04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
This is a very interesting article. Thanks for printing it. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a keystroke logger for bugging a PC. I wonder what it looks like and how it can be detected. Anyone?
This is why I look forward to access above Level 1, to find out about all the different devices that are out there. I guess I'm a gadget enthusiast, or a closet nerd, but I love that stuff!!

The not so new anymore technology: biometric identification and authentication solutions to enterprises is an area where I want to learn more, and would just love to get involved with in the corporate security venue. Is anyone else pointed in that direction? I would like to someday create my own firm/agency to specialize in those areas. It is good to dream, but right now a position selling horse manure would work too. LOL.

One step at a time, but seriously the job market in Seattle area starts with an S and ends with a KS, if you know what I mean. How bout the rest of the United States of America? Same, better, worse or different? Iíll keep the faith. I know I just overlapped with topics, but one thing just led to another and youíve got to admit that everything is connected.

Dabra;
The loggers I've seen look like a large "RCA" plug, and attach between the keyboard and the computer. Difficult to detect, unless you check the back of the computer on a daily basis (but who does that)?

I've also seen little boxes that plug into the serial port; again, most computers are against the wall or on the floor, so no body notices.

Don't ask where I've seen these; I'm a Fed.

Dabra J Grant -
04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Dear Fred,
Thanks for the info, and no-one except perhaps a P.I. ever looks at the back of thier PC. On the other side of the coin this would be a great tool as part of a corporate security package or as part of a Security Survey process. Fascinating and certainly not all that elementary. : - )

The anaylsis of the keystrokes does sound like an extremely tedious process, but maybe not. Anyway thanks Fred!

Barbara Compton
04-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Hi Debra and Fred,

The answer to your question "who checks the back of the computer every day"? The one lady I used to clean for. She's a clean nut! I had to make sure there was no dust on anything. I'm not saying that she knows alot about computers, but she is very observant. Thought you both would get a chuckle out of it. I still think of her and have to laugh.

Ann Marie,

Thanks for the article. I didn't think that would fall under the lines of "wire tapping". I would think maybe hacking?

Have a great day!
Barbara Compton

Tiffiny Dixon
04-28-2004, 07:56 AM
This is subject that,I've never even thought would cross someone's mind to do.I've never even heard of an keystroke logger.So what you are saying is that.If someone wanted to collected all the info.,that I have typed on the computer.They could just attached a small device to do so?
Is this piece of equipment so small that it was undetectable?And is this piece availible on the open market to for just anyone to buy?
Because if so,then there's more crimes being committed. :mad:

Barbara Compton
04-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Tiffany,
Yes! I still get spam emails on these kind of products. A friend of mine was considering using it to catch her husband cheating. Come to find out she was the one cheating. But thats a different story. I would think the product could be used for "good". But I guess it goes the same story with guns. There is stuff out there that can either help or hurt. :(

Just my thoughts
Barbara

Dabra J Grant -
04-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Dear Barbara,

You are too funny! I did get a giggle out of the cleaning lady, but also the cheater.

"There is stuff out there that can either help or hurt." That is so true. Even Knowledge which is Power can be used to heal or to hurt. Those are the matters of the heart and the intent of the user. Therein lies the great divider.

Who knows what evil lies in the hearts of men? The shadow do" Where did that come from, it just popped into my head?

Thanks again for the giggles!

Joseph Krause
04-29-2004, 12:29 PM
:o I had no idea that these kind of things are out there that easy to get your hands on. This guy doesn't sound like a big time criminal. How would he know where to go to get these kinds of equipment? I guess you can tell I am new to this.

Joe Krause