PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance & any other Benefits?

Technical Support
08-29-2003, 08:53 AM
The following are quoted comments from a previous topic:

Health insurance is something that I cannot be without.

I currently have very inexpensive health insurance as a full-time employee.

My question is if I am working part-time with various agencies, how am I to secure my health insurance at a reasonable price?

To me, health insurance is very important in accepting any kind of job, and it makes me a bit leery to think I would be giving up full-time hours with all the benefits that are included for part-time work with several different agencies. Yeah, the pay may be better but the benefits of full-time work (especially the health insurance) is worth a lot.

Any information on either topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance for their time and contribution. Take care and I look forward to talking to everyone more in the future.

Welcome Joe. Thanks for joining us here. :)

Health Insurance

1) If you are in your 20's (age), and are in good health, the average self-employed out-of-pocket benefits package that IPIU has found is . . . $75 to $100 per month. This is called an individual "reimbursement plan", and is not a group plan.

2) The plan covers dental, eye, accident, doctor visits, physicals, and major hospital.

3) Benefits covered by employer group plans are usually figured at an extra $1.00 per hour over a 40-hr work week for their cost. Most states require that employers offer group plans (which is figured on the sickest employee at the company, and results in higher costs).

NOTE: If you are asked to perform an assignment that pays $20-$25 per hour without benefits, you may be wise in setting up a part-time plan for yourself. (IPIU will have more information on this plan net year, but encourages union members to post their ideas and sources in the Level 3 Access Membership Benefits Forum (http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=91) ).

4) If you are earning less than $20,000 per year, you can qualify for free prescriptions, such as high blood pressure and anti-depression drugs that normally cost $1.50 per pill at your local Wal-Mart. (We will also have more information and applications for members on this too.)

5) If you are employed by another company, and doing private investigations part-time, we can show you how to have an annual cost of gasoline for $1.00 per gallon instead of $1.70 per gallon. We can also show you how to reformat your Employee Deductions from your regular job to save an additional $500 a year that you are over-paying in social security and federal taxes. But to do this, you need to be a self-employed private investigator to offset the income on your return.

Thanks for the questions.

(If anyone else has good advice for Joe, please step in here and hit the "Reply" button.)

David
General benefit information is in the other forum titled UNION ASSOCIATION NEWS, under the topic titled Membership Information.

If you already sent an email to benefits@ipiu.org , then you would have already received an automated response back to your email box outlining when you will receive the information.

Other than that, if you have a placement membership with IPIU then you will be able to ask each agency manager about their individual health benefits offered.
Hi, I,m still wondering about the benefits that us members are entitled to. I sent an email to benefits@ipiu.org but I get this automated reply saying they are revising the benifits package and they will notify me. It has been almost a month now. I started a thread a week ago about this but before I knew it my thread was gone and I didn't get a chance to read all of my replys. I would like to have any information on how to go about getting some of these benefits.

Thankyou
I'm not sure what you have already read, but the benefits package contains more than just one benefit and one package. It was stated a few weeks ago that some of the costs to IPIU were too high in order to keep the dues low. We are trying to get better prices to pass along at a deep discount, and expect it to be available next year.

If you sent the email in, then they keep your name on a preferred list. You'll be notified via email.

Thank you for your patience.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you ARE allowed to have another job (FT/PT) in addition to the work you do here. If you have a really good benefits package then I would keep the job you have now (at least for awhile), until I could make sure that I had enough work from IPIU. You don't want to go from a steady, full-time income down to only a part-time income, which could happen for a while until you really get established.

Keeping your present job with the insurance while becoming established with IPIU would give you a chance to check out the benefits more closely, and maybe compare them to what you have now. I don't know of any law against having more than one insurance. Maybe you could have both? Once you get truly established here and things are going full-time, then you can quit your other job and drop the insurance. If you really felt that you needed another policy in addition to what they have here, then you would always be free to buy one for yourself wherever you are happy.

This is just my opinion, but it's something to think about.

Technical Support
08-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Note:

As mentioned above, the official IPIU health or medical program is not available at this time for union members. However, union members who have been upgraded to Level 3 or higher have access to the Membership Benefits Forum (http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=91)

Elizabeth Black -
08-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Technical Support
Note:

As mentioned above, the official IPIU health or medical program is not available at this time for union members. However, union members who have been upgraded to Level 3 or higher have access to the Membership Benefits Forum (http://www.ipiu.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=91)

Tech,
Thanks for the information.

Rosemary Lynch -
09-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, I have made it to level 3 so I will check out the Membership Benefits and hope that one day there will be some type of group medical insurance available for us to purchase. I am now at $689 per month for one person.
This is a major issue for many of us.
Thank you for all the info.

Shiela M Hargett
09-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Great information to know, thanks to all who have contributed. Can't wait to get to level 3 to find out more.

Rosemary Lynch -
09-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Well, just an FYI. I am at Level 3 and still have not discovered any information re medical benefits. Since it is a priority issue for me, ongoing, I will always keep tabs on what I find out there and keep you posted if I discover any new information.

Shiela M Hargett
09-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks Rosemary.

I just received my fingerprint packet and hopefully will have that sent off this week.

Rosemary Lynch -
10-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi Sheila, wishing you much success. It is so exciting to get the paperwork for the fingerprints and begin to realize that you are "really on your way". I wish you well.

Shiela M Hargett
10-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Rosemary,

Thank you soooo much! I look forward to chatting w/you further.

Meronda Kelly
10-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Oh My!

This is so embarrassing! I'm so new and I'm surfing the forums and I still feel lost. This is my first night on and I would like to know when will I get to level 3. I'm in the process of sending back my code of ethics and ordering my badge. ( I received everything in the mail today) What level is this? Once you've arrived, how long do you work pt before going ft. I'm have tons of questions however, I'll wait for these answers first.
THanks for your help.

Rosemary Lynch -
10-09-2003, 07:32 AM
If you go the the forum list, towards the top you will find a forum with the timelines of when things get done.
Once your return your code of ethics, and it is recorded in, you become a level 3 and will have access to the forums available to members up through that level. The time frame on that is about 2-3 weeks.
You will have to complete level 4 before you are available to accept assignments.
Read the forums. You will learn much here and while you are waiting for the processing of the paperwork, you continue to gain knowledge. Be sure you have introduced yourself in the New Members lounge, and that will generate information from admin on where you should be reading and learning.
Good luck.

Ms Tenley Oliver -
11-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Thank you so much for the information on the health benefits.
I'm looking forward to getting to Level 3 to check out the info.
Thanks again.

Jennifer Zimdars
12-11-2003, 09:57 AM
Being that I am a single mother with two children that have a father who couldn't keep a job if the fate of the world depended on it, health insurance is very important to me. The insurance I have now is very good, but since I don't care for this job and will eventually quit to go to full-time investigating I'll need to look further into the insurance issue.

If insurance is so expensive for a single person I can't imagine what it would be for a family. :(!

Laura Hyde
01-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer Zimdars
Being that I am a single mother with two children that have a father who couldn't keep a job if the fate of the world depended on it, health insurance is very important to me. The insurance I have now is very good, but since I don't care for this job and will eventually quit to go to full-time investigating I'll need to look further into the insurance issue.

If insurance is so expensive for a single person I can't imagine what it would be for a family. :(!

Hello Jennifer,

I am a single mom as well. I have just one child and her father owes over $70,000 in back support. I got laid off and lost my health insurance. My daughter and I have been without insurance for 2 years as I could not afford the COBRA. If you have a good insurance, even though the job is less than desirable, I would not quit your job until you have enough work from IPIU to keep you busy fulltime and you feel you can afford to pay for insurance. Being without insurance at the age of 40 something is really scarey! But having a child without insurance is even more frightening.

Laura Hyde

Kim Barker
05-13-2004, 09:42 PM
I am interested in finding lower rate health insurance as well. I have a policy I took out being self employed and it is over $250 a month just for me, with no dental or vision.

Ms. Laura Del Gaudio -
11-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I am so happy I found this Forum. I will send that email and when the news comes about a Health plan next year, I know now I will be sure to get it. One less thing to worry about. Patience is a good thing. I know I can get the help I need to be successful. Thank you.

Flora Porter
11-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Hello Jennifer,

I am a single mom as well. I have just one child and her father owes over $70,000 in back support. I got laid off and lost my health insurance. My daughter and I have been without insurance for 2 years as I could not afford the COBRA. If you have a good insurance, even though the job is less than desirable, I would not quit your job until you have enough work from IPIU to keep you busy fulltime and you feel you can afford to pay for insurance. Being without insurance at the age of 40 something is really scarey! But having a child without insurance is even more frightening.

Laura Hyde
Hello Laura,
I can relate to alot of what you are saying about needing good insurance. :eek:

PI Trainee
FPorter

Brenda Feindel
03-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Uni-Care has a pretty reasonably priced plan. You may want to check it out at www.unicare.com.